PDA

View Full Version : This year's production

Paul Williams
02-03-2017, 9:21 PM
I had some time to turn last month and haven't posted any work for awhile. So here is what I turned in January. The dark wood on the top of the hollow form and the lid with the antler is kolohala, or pheasant wood, that a friend of my cousin on Maui sent me. We will be going to Maui later this month so I have sent this photo and offered my cousin and her friend their choice of turnings.

James Tibbetts
02-03-2017, 9:25 PM
Very elegant! Every piece. Gonna be tough to pick from that grouping.

Greg Parrish
02-03-2017, 9:33 PM
Beautiful. What is the glossy finish on these?

William C Rogers
02-04-2017, 8:36 AM
Very nice work. I also was wondering about the finish. Very well done. No favorite, I like them all.

Marty Schlosser
02-04-2017, 8:46 AM
Lovely turnings! I especially liked the imaginative handle top for the one on the far right.

Paul Williams
02-04-2017, 12:35 PM
The gloss finish is a homemade version of WOP. 50-50 Minwax gloss poly and mineral spirits applied with a folded paper towel. The one on the end with the antler is a little darker. That is a light coat of Mahoney's utility finish applied with 400 grit sand paper. Then a little shellac applied with a rag while the oil is still wet and spun up at speed sort of like a French polish. When dry I apply a few coats of the 50% Minwax poly.

Marty, the "imaginative handle" is yet another idea stolen from someone's post on Sawmillcreek, a great place for inspiration and ideas. I think the idea for the vase with the square top came from the same place ;-)

Adam Petersen
02-04-2017, 1:12 PM
Beautiful turnings! I really like the box with lid on the right. That is beautiful, and I for some reason am partial to those type of turnings right now. Very cool.

Josh Bowman
02-04-2017, 1:32 PM
Paul, very nice, I really like the red one and the one to the far right.

John Keeton
02-04-2017, 4:03 PM
Nice work and you are getting some very nice curly maple! And, I am partial to antler embellishments on turnings.;)

Chance Raser
02-04-2017, 7:33 PM
All very beautiful. Details on the red one?

Greg Parrish
02-04-2017, 9:31 PM
The gloss finish is a homemade version of WOP. 50-50 Minwax gloss poly and mineral spirits applied with a folded paper towel. The one on the end with the antler is a little darker. That is a light coat of Mahoney's utility finish applied with 400 grit sand paper. Then a little shellac applied with a rag while the oil is still wet and spun up at speed sort of like a French polish. When dry I apply a few coats of the 50% Minwax poly.

Marty, the "imaginative handle" is yet another idea stolen from someone's post on Sawmillcreek, a great place for inspiration and ideas. I think the idea for the vase with the square top came from the same place ;-)

Awesome. I'm going to try the minwax gloss poly with mineral spirits combo. I've been struggling to get a super gloss finish. I have sanded to a glass finish and have applied paste wax and buffed to a gloss finish but neither keep the gloss wet look for long. Thanks again.