PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't anyone work Tuesday thru Thursday anymore?

Kev Williams
02-03-2017, 8:44 PM
Just wondering, because this whole year it seems like a whole lotta people only work on Monday's and Fridays--

Friday they drop off the work-
Monday they pick up the work...

Tues-Wed-Thurs-- ... -- .. - .

Ok, not everyone of course, but this trend IS becoming too regular and is starting to get old already... Just wondering if anyone else is going thru this? :)

I've always done my best to accommodate my customer's schedules, I suppose I asked for it! ;)

Gary Hair
02-03-2017, 8:55 PM
What are you complaining about Kev, they were nice enough to give you 4 days to get it done...

Kev Williams
02-04-2017, 12:40 AM
ummm, try as I might, I can't seem to find 4 days between 4pm Friday and 8pm Monday! :D

Scott Shepherd
02-04-2017, 8:11 AM
ummm, try as I might, I can't seem to find 4 days between 4pm Friday and 8pm Monday! :D

Silly, it's Friday (1), Saturday(2), Sunday(3), and Monday(4). At least that's how some customers seem to count them. I always counted them as 2, but I guess I was wrong too. Is it 4 days or does it just feel like 4 days?

It's Saturday morning and I'm waiting for a truck to back up to the dock and unload pallets of work. Due date? Sunday afternoon. It's going to be a long weekend. I feel you pain Kev!

Jerome Stanek
02-04-2017, 8:18 AM
Just tell them that you only work days that they do no week ends.

Marty Schlosser
02-04-2017, 8:33 AM
With companeis who have no compunction of inconveniencing you just to ensure they're not inconvenienced, such an arrangement would appear to work best for them. I guess it all depends on whether you want to work on weekends or forefit the job, doesn't it? I imagine your only other option would be to charge them an extra labour fee (double time or time and a half) and see if that entices them into falling into a more realistic schedule... or drives them away.

Frederick Skelly
02-04-2017, 10:40 AM
It's really great to have profitable work, isn't it?

Have you ever considered adding-on a "rush charge" of some reasonable amount? Then, if they really want it Monday, they'll either pay a (fair) premium that makes it worth your time or go find a shop that needs work badly enough that they will work weekends at the price the customer is willing to pay. Or they'll realize they can take delivery during the week. From your previous posts, I get the impression you've had a long term, successful business, Kev. If you don't want (or need) to work weekends, why do it without an upcharge for the rush? Other types of businesses do it.

Of course, I say all this knowing absolutely nothing about your particular business or customer base, right? ;) So maybe the cons greatly outweigh the pros. But it came to mind as I read your post.

Best wishes,
Fred

Mike Null
02-04-2017, 11:35 AM
I instituted a rush charge several years ago and abandoned it quickly. Not because of customer complaints but because it just didn't sit well with me.

Glen Monaghan
02-04-2017, 1:52 PM
I instituted a rush charge when business picked up to the point that I could no longer get every order done within 2-3 days. I quote 4-5 business days processing time and offered Rush service for $10 to turn around orders in 1-2 days without delaying orders placed ahead of the rush job. Amazing how many people "need" rush service until you tell them it will cost a whole ten bucks and, suddenly, five days is good enough! The $10 was really more of a nuisance charge that didn't really cover my overtime, so I eventually upped the charge to $30 with no discernable difference in customer response.