PDA

View Full Version : VFD for 5HP 3phase Jointer

David Iliyn
02-03-2017, 4:41 PM
I have a Sac FS305 jointer with a 5hp 230/430v 3 phase motor in it.
I dont have have 3 phase in my shop, and would like to go the vfd route if possible.

I have been looking at a few vfds for the job but because of price I have been interested in the cheap Chinese huan yang vfds, in particular their 10hp vfd.
Can anyone give some in site on if I will have any issues running the jointer with a 10hp vfd in my shop?
Below is a photo of the motor/jointer for reference

eBay item #260995721432

Cheers!
David

Tim McCarthy
02-03-2017, 6:57 PM
Hi David,

I know next to nothing about VFD's except that I bought one through Jack Forsberg who responded to a query I put on this site. His VFD's come from China. They are specifically designed for single phase input and do not need to be "up-sized". I got a 5 hp model for a 5 hp 3 phase planer and I'm totally happy. He and his associate, Matt did all but cartwheels to get me up, running and a happy camper. I have no vested interest. Price for 5 hp unit was $275 plus shipping.

Good luck,

Tim

Marty Schlosser
02-03-2017, 7:08 PM
I concur with Tim's recommendation for purchasing a VFD through Jack Forsberg. His phone number is: 1-613-298-7507

I, too, have one of his 5hp VFDs and can't say enough about his support.. plus the price was right in the ballpark for me.

Dan Friedrichs
02-03-2017, 7:59 PM
There's no reason to oversize the VFD if it is rated for a 5HP load when running from single-phase input. Tim is referring to the practice of using a VFD whose input is nominally 3-phase with a single-phase supply - if you do that, then oversizing the VFD is necessary, but it isn't necessary when using a VFD spec'd for full output on a single-phase input.

So, I'd buy one of the cheap ebay specials. Looks like a 5HP unit can be had for ~$135.

The complexity of some VFDs leads some people to think that hooking one up is much more complicated than it usually is. If someone is re-selling VFDs, the "added value" of after-sales support you get might be well worth the cost, but to be clear, there is likely nothing being done to the VFD by the reseller.

David Iliyn
02-04-2017, 1:55 AM
Great info, thanks so much! I will be sure to call Jack and see if he can get me up to date on vfds!

Mike Heidrick
02-05-2017, 12:51 AM
You will needva transformer as well as a vfd for a 430v motor. Single phase is 230v.

jack forsberg
02-05-2017, 9:34 AM
I have a Sac FS305 jointer with a 5hp 230/430v 3 phase motor in it.
I dont have have 3 phase in my shop, and would like to go the vfd route if possible.

I have been looking at a few vfds for the job but because of price I have been interested in the cheap Chinese huan yang vfds, in particular their 10hp vfd.
Can anyone give some in site on if I will have any issues running the jointer with a 10hp vfd in my shop?
Below is a photo of the motor/jointer for reference

Cheers!
David

You'll notice on those drives on eBay you show are really not anything special in fact they're pretty much the bottom of the barrel . You would be correct to oversizing them as you'll notice they don't actually have an output amperage rating if feed single phase . It only states single or three phase input which of course the majority of drives in the world are capable of.