PDA

View Full Version : Brands from the Past you Liked

Rich Riddle
02-01-2017, 11:32 PM
I went to the farm today and spoke with the neighbor who was watching an old Curtis Mathes television. He also had a picture of his first car, a Hupmobile......

There are more modern examples of former automobile manufactures, but what brands do you miss and wish were still around?

Ruperto Mendiones
02-02-2017, 12:02 AM
Real Craftsman of 40 years ago, Old Rigid plumbing tools

Mel Fulks
02-02-2017, 2:37 AM
My first thought is he probably heard about the death of Curtis Mathis on that TV. Plane incident ,smoke inhalation ,I think.
And I think your friend might have a HEATHKIT TV still spread out on a card table.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2017, 2:49 AM
My brother had a Heathkit short wave transmitter for his ham radio hobby.

I remember my mother's Packard and a friend's family car was a Studebaker.

My wife and I had an International Harvester station wagon for a few years.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
02-02-2017, 6:22 AM
Just off the top of my head; Atkins saws, Sargent hand tools, Millers Falls, and Plymouth made some nice cars. Disston's still around so I can't say that. I might be back with more!

Mac McQuinn
02-02-2017, 9:40 AM
Don't forget Knight-Kits from Allied Electronics. Hodaka motorcycles.

Mac

Michael Weber
02-02-2017, 9:44 AM
My brother had a Heathkit short wave transmitter for his ham radio hobby.

I remember my mother's Packard and a friend's family car was a Studebaker.

My wife and I had an International Harvester station wagon for a few years.

jtk lol we bought a used International Harvester refrigerator after we married 44 years ago.

Jerome Stanek
02-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Revco drugs stores

Robin Frierson
02-02-2017, 11:00 AM
International pickup trucks. My grandad bought one in 1960 or thereabouts, drove it for 25years then sold it for more than he paid in 1985.

jared herbert
02-02-2017, 6:30 PM
The Sorel Premium boots that were made in Canada. A very good product. The company was sold and now the boots are made in China, cant hold a candle to what they once were.

Andrew Hughes
02-02-2017, 6:58 PM
Found a ad in a old time weekly magazine for a cigarette lighter I thought was cool.

Kev Williams
02-02-2017, 7:50 PM
Bell Telephones. One of the closest-to-indestructible devices ever built by man.

Rich Riddle
02-02-2017, 8:10 PM
Kev,

I still use three vintage/antique Bell telephones in the house. People always think they are for show until they ring.

Bell Telephones. One of the closest-to-indestructible devices ever built by man.

Bruce Page
02-02-2017, 8:30 PM
My neighbor growing up had a 1928 Durant he restored. I helped him refinish the wood spoke wheels - I did most of the sanding.. Anyway, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Steve Peterson
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Have to agree with that one. It amazes me how horrible modern phones sound.

On my list is a good mechanical clock. You can still get them. They are just not as common as they used to be.

Steve

Shawn Pixley
02-03-2017, 12:41 PM
The only thing I would bring back from the past is my Grandfather. He was incredibly influential on me.

He could build or fix anything. He taught me skills but more importantly he taught me how to live my life. I miss him and his '49 Kaiser.

Pat Barry
02-03-2017, 2:33 PM
Playboy magazine. I heard they were going out of business.

Kev Williams
02-03-2017, 2:59 PM
On my list is a good mechanical clock. You can still get them. They are just not as common as they used to be.
Steve
I love clocks, especially 'real' clocks that need winding in one form or another. We have 2 coo-coo clocks, big Grandfather and Grandmother clocks, a few spring wound wall clocks, and one old Kundo anniversary clock, I can sit and watch the balls pendulum turn back & forth for hours :)

I also have one electric/mechanical clock, a great big Howard Miller, I was surprised it WAS a plug-in clock when I picked it up, I figured it would be battery powered-

One of my favorite movies, 'The Green Mile', always makes me cringe (just a bit) whenever I see that 1930's clock on the wall ticking in 1 second increments... ;)

Jim Laumann
02-03-2017, 5:12 PM
lol we bought a used International Harvester refrigerator after we married 44 years ago.

My wife's Dad has one which is still running - keeps his beer and pop cold.

Stan Calow
02-03-2017, 5:26 PM
Western Auto, Isuzu trucks/suvs (not that long ago).

Bruce Wrenn
02-04-2017, 9:28 PM
Real Delta Power tools, for which you could get any part. No more thanks to B&D. It still amazes me how quickly they took the leading power tool company and trashed it. Shop Notes as separate magazine, along with American Woodworker from Rodale. Popular Woodworking, before they became Popular Hand Tools. Biggest thing I miss is going to salvage yards and scrounging for stuff for my projects. Steam train trips is another.

Kev Williams
02-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Real Delta Power tools...
My drill press. Have no idea how old this thing is, I think my dad got it from Hill Field when he worked there right after the war.
This thing is right up there with Bell Telephones in the indestructible catagory, hardly a day goes by that it doesn't get used...

Grant Wilkinson
02-05-2017, 9:47 AM
Any car, motorcycle or small gas engine that uses points, condenser and carburetor. When they act up, I can fix them. Now, when my car acts up, only someone with a hi-tech degree in computer science can figure it out.

Jim Andrew
02-05-2017, 8:30 PM
Oliver built some great tractors. They were the first with the over under transmission you could shift on the go.