PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Blade Issue

kevin nee
02-01-2017, 10:18 PM
I am a member of a Woodworking Guild that purchased a SawStop a couple of years ago.
recently after a cartridge trip, I replaced the blade with a New Freud 10 inch 5/8 arbor blade.
This blade blade would not work. Labeled 10 inch by 5/8 arbor compared to another 10 inch blade in the shop the new one is undersized. Could it be metric that is close to 10 inch? Put on the larger blade and it worked. Any input would be appreciated. Kevin

Is it possible that SawStop wants you to buy their blades?

Ben Rivel
02-01-2017, 10:47 PM
You do not have to buy SawStop blades. In fact, most do not use them as they arent highly regarded. And many people use Freud blades on their SawStops.

When you say the Freud blade "would not work", what exactly wouldnt work?

Also have you contacted SawStop about the issue? They are the best source for information and are very helpful.

Van Huskey
02-01-2017, 10:50 PM
IIRC this has been discussed before (several times) over the years, I thought the take away was the Freud Blades were within the adjustment range of the cartridge. If you don't get a definitive answer here try searching.

Ben Rivel
02-01-2017, 11:16 PM
IIRC this has been discussed before (several times) over the years, I thought the take away was the Freud Blades were within the adjustment range of the cartridge. If you don't get a definitive answer here try searching. Yea I thought they were too. Though I do recall they are smaller that other "10 inch" blades but I thought they still worked.

OP: If so some reason you cant get he Freud blades to work, many of us use and highly recommend Forrest brand blades. I know they work with SawStops as they are all I run.

Patrick Walsh
02-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Kevin,

i had the same problem with my Sawstop and a Amana rip blade.

mreza Salav
02-02-2017, 12:28 AM
No offense intended, but have you tried adjusting the cartridge? blades come in 10" or 25cm (which is about 1/4" smaller). You'll have to adjust the cartridge so the distance to the blade is the thickness of a nickle. There are instructions for this in the manual.

Rick Potter
02-02-2017, 2:33 AM
I have used a Freud industrial rip blade several times. It is metric, and when I put it on, I need to adjust the cartridge, as mreza mentions. I buy 10" blades only now, to avoid adjusting, and only use the Freuds on my Unisaw.

Yes, I know I am lazy.

Nick Decker
02-02-2017, 6:55 AM
I had the same issue with a Freud blade. Measured about 9 7/8" instead of 10", as advertised. Didn't even put it on the saw, just sent it back. I have the SawStop Jobsite and don't believe there's even a cartridge adjustment on it, could be wrong about that, but I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about it.

glenn bradley
02-02-2017, 8:45 AM
No offense intended, but have you tried adjusting the cartridge? blades come in 10" or 25cm (which is about 1/4" smaller). You'll have to adjust the cartridge so the distance to the blade is the thickness of a nickle. There are instructions for this in the manual.

Yes, this; although you did not specify the model. The adjustment on the PCS covers quite a wide range of "ten inch" blade sizes. I do notice that there is no adjustment on the job site saw mentioned in the manual and that you must install a "standard" ten inch blade (whatever that is) :D

Bob Falk
02-02-2017, 8:46 AM
I just had a trip on my SS....put on new Freud blade...works fine. However, when first installed, I kept getting the "Adjust blade" code.....after adjusting several times, I realized that the access door of the saw was open (DUH)....once closed and latched, everything was fine. My SS is a 2005 CB model (predecessor to the ICS) and on this model an open door will give the same flashing code as the blade out of adjustment.

Timothy Williams
02-02-2017, 8:50 AM
I have been using Freud blades in mine for almost 3 years with no issue. Thin kerf, reg kerf, 2 rip blades, 2 40T Fusion, and 2 80T blades. Didn't have to adjust the brake, I've even tripped the brake with my miter gauge and it works.

Marty Schlosser
02-02-2017, 9:01 AM
Does this have anything to do with baldes that have special coatings on them?

Roger Feeley
02-02-2017, 2:08 PM
I used thin kerf Freud rip blades that are painted red and my SS doesn't object. I usually test the sensor by touching the blade (stopped) and see that the lights change. Never had a problem.

Rick Potter
02-02-2017, 7:58 PM
Roger..I called SawStop a year or so ago and asked specifically about the Freud red coated blades. Sawstop said they are fine with the sensor.

Timothy..I agree, mine worked fine also with the Freud, I just decided to use full 10" blades on it because I have several other brands of blades which are all a full 10 ", and I can switch around without adjusting. I have several Freud rip blades and I use them on my Unisaw. My favorite blade on the SawStop is an Infinity combo 40 tooth. Love that blade.

mreza Salav
02-02-2017, 10:22 PM
I didn't know the job-site version didn't have a brake adjustment allen screw (or at least doesn't say anything about it in the manual).
Both PCS and the ICS versions have. I do have blades of different diameters and have to adjust it when I change between them.

Barry Richardson
02-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Used Freud on Saw Stops for years, never even realized they were a different diameter. If you have blades resharpened, this will gradually reduce the diameter as well. Just keep the allen wrench handy and do the nickel gap test to reset...

Frank Pratt
02-03-2017, 10:25 AM
The brake gap is not super critical. The manual describes it as "about" if I recall correctly. I have 10" blades that are close to 1/8" different in diameter & they both work without adjusting the gap.

Nick Decker
02-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Frank, the gap is critical insofar as increasing the distance the brake has to travel before it contacts the blade, no? No idea how to do the math, but it just seems logical.

Roy Turbett
02-05-2017, 8:16 PM

+1 The opposite is also true. I went from a smaller to a larger diameter blade without adjusting the cartridge and had an unintended trigger. Its one of those things that sometimes makes me miss my old Unisaw.

Frank Pratt
02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
OK, just looked it up. The gap is to be between 1/16" & 1/8", so I guess it's critical that it be within those parameters, but 1/16" variance isn't very critical.

Frank, the gap is critical insofar as increasing the distance the brake has to travel before it contacts the blade, no? No idea how to do the math, but it just seems logical.

Nick Decker
02-06-2017, 12:41 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the brake having farther to travel, which lets the blade rotate a bit longer, which maybe means your flesh feels two teeth instead of one. Maybe I'm over thinking it, though.

OK, just looked it up. The gap is to be between 1/16" & 1/8", so I guess it's critical that it be within those parameters, but 1/16" variance isn't very critical.