PDA

View Full Version : CO2 tube shelf life -- answered.

Bob Crimmins
02-01-2017, 9:27 PM
I bought an 80 watt Chinese laser, 2nd hand, in December of 2013. It came with a RECI tube with a production date of 10/27/2011. It also came with a spare RECI tube with the same production date (they bought an extra when they bought the cnc machine.) I have read in many places that CO2 tubes have a shelf life and that they will deplete themselves even just sitting on a shelf. Well, I just installed that spare tube that has been sitting on a shelf for 5+ years and it fired right up and is cutting just like the old one did in it's hey day. Based on everything I've read, I was afraid it might not work at all. Maybe it's an anomaly, but there's another data point for you.

John Lifer
02-01-2017, 9:43 PM
Good for you! I think just looking at some of the cheaper tubes, that it depends on the quality of the tube. That cheapest would die on a shelf, the better made will be fine.

Kev Williams
02-01-2017, 10:21 PM
I have to smile :) --

I too have read many a story about how laser tubes, glass in particular, can go bad over time...

but, I can't remember reading once about someone actually HAVING one go bad ;)

Not saying they don't, but IMO that would be the exception, not the rule...

Neville Stewart
02-01-2017, 11:35 PM
At the same time, they only warrant them form manufacture date, so there is something to it.

Dave Sheldrake
02-02-2017, 7:30 AM
It happens quite a bit but mainly in tubes that are used, then stored as oxidation of the internal electrodes contaminates the gas.

gary l roberts
02-03-2017, 6:26 PM
YES, used then stored for 6 months during a move. Tube shot, ugly brown color. Life can get in the way of burning sum times.