PDA

View Full Version : Crown Staple Gun Recommendation

Mark W Pugh
02-01-2017, 6:30 PM
Need a new narrow staple gun. I don't want to break the bank, but I want one that works. If the box store ones work, then that's fine for me.

Thanks

Bill Space
02-01-2017, 7:44 PM
Well, while I almost hate to say it, I have a Harbor Freight 1/4" pneumatic stapler that is a gem. Has worked flawlessly for me, but I am not a pro. Probably has driven a couple thousand staples with no issues. Maximum length1.5". No issues.

Price is right. Can use a 20% off coupon. You will not break the bank, but this assumes you have a small compressor. I use a cheap oil-less one.

So do you need something other than a pneumatic tool? If so cannot help you there.

Bill

PS - I only use name brand staples, not the cheap HF ones...if they exist. Never checked.

Rich Riddle
02-01-2017, 8:26 PM
For a decent crown stapler, I like the Hitachi N3804AB3. Hitachi makes some very decent tools that continually rate high in customer satisfaction at a reasonable price.

David Freed
02-01-2017, 8:55 PM
I have a Porter Cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YOENNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine for me.

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2017, 9:09 PM
I have Senco SKF, PC, and HF combo staple guns. The PC is limited to 1" staples. The Senco is in a class by it's self. I use the HF to fasten down 1/4" under layment. Never a jam or misfire in thousands of staples. Paid around $12 when for it when it first came out.

Jim Dwight
02-01-2017, 9:29 PM
I have two HF narrow crown staplers. The first one won't drive 1.5 inch staples like it's supposed to but does great with 3/4 staples. I have several other HF pneumatics that work well so I tried another (at $20 it isn't a huge risk). It does 1.5 inch fine. I also have Bostitch nailers and a Porter Cable but they don't seem worth the extra money compared to my HF nailers. I have the two narrow crown, a wide crown upholstery stapler, a 15 gauge finish nailer, and a flooring nailer by Harbor Freight and they all work fine. Good buys. They also are good about returns (but I usually do not bother).

joseph f merz
02-01-2017, 11:01 PM
https://bigskytool.com/?utm_campaign=651406_DS18DGl%20w%20free%20kit&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Big%20Sky%20Tool&dm_i=2UW7,DYMM,25BDA9,1EWQ4,1 .try this sight ,i have bought a few of there reconditioned tools and have done very well .i have there 1/4" stapler .it replaced several others .by far the better of the ones i have owned and it cost me less then 50$ .have run through boxes of staples over the years .mostly 1 1/2" .

David Freed
02-02-2017, 3:41 AM
The PC is limited to 1" staples.

1 1/2" not 1"

I won't say PC is better than others. I bought mine because the cabinet shop I install for has used them every day for years in the shop and on the job.

Jerome Stanek
02-02-2017, 7:54 AM
Like Bruce said Senco is in a class by itself I have an SK and also a Harbor Freight and Craftsman and the Senco just works better. I did take the Harbor Freight one to set up trade shows as it was cheap and tools get feet at those shows

Michael Dye
02-02-2017, 8:53 AM
For pneumatic, Senco, as stated before, is in a class of its own. For portability, I just purchased a Porter Cable 20V crown stapler for my birthday present to myself. Nice gun, although the time delay from trigger pull to staple firing is hard to get used to.

Paul F Franklin
02-02-2017, 6:02 PM
I have the dewalt and am quite happy with it. I've put a few thousand staples through it, mostly construction type stuff...no jams, rarely leaves one above surface.

Keith Weber
02-02-2017, 7:41 PM
Which Senco are you guys using? It appears that they have 7 models to choose from in the 1/4" category.

Martin Wasner
02-02-2017, 8:18 PM
Which Senco are you guys using? It appears that they have 7 models to choose from in the 1/4" category.

The SKS is what I used for ¼" staples. Overkill for most things, but it's rebuildable, and worth rebuilding. It's built on their older body.

I've got an SLS as well, but 3/8" crown. I just use it for backs, it's a lighter duty stapler, but plenty good for that application.

mark kosse
02-02-2017, 8:55 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Space;2654276]Well, while I almost hate to say it, I have a Harbor Freight 1/4" pneumatic stapler that is a gem. Has worked flawlessly for me, but I am not a pro. Probably has driven a couple thousand staples with no issues. Maximum length1.5". No issues.

Price is right. Can use a 20% off coupon. You will not break the bank, but this assumes you have a small compressor. I use a cheap oil-less one.

So do you need something other than a pneumatic tool? If so cannot help you there.

Bill

PS - I only use name brand staples, not the cheap HF ones...if they exist. Never checked.[/QUOT

Ditto. Mine has lasted 10x longer than my PC did. Shoots brads too.

Jack Lemley
02-02-2017, 9:18 PM
I like my Senco

Jack

Ben Rivel
02-02-2017, 9:36 PM
Does no one use Grex? I was thinking of going with one of their brad nailers.

Martin Wasner
02-02-2017, 9:54 PM
Does no one use Grex? I was thinking of going with one of their brad nailers.

Expensive. Everyone who has one speaks highly of it. I need to outfit a couple of benches with guns, I was kicking around a Grex micro pinner.

Ben Rivel
02-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Expensive. Everyone who has one speaks highly of it. I need to outfit a couple of benches with guns, I was kicking around a Grex micro pinner.Seemed to me like it was top shelf stuff. Plus the green matches my Festool tools :D Cuz thats important ya know?

Patrick Curry
02-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Try the HF stapler. With the 20% off coupon it's pocket change. I bought one a few months ago for a job where I must have fired 2,000 or more .75" brand name staples and it performed perfectly.

I have a Bostitch Brad nailer that works great too but I'll be buying HF air tools going forward. They have a great return policy and my work gives them the immediate 'quality control' testing

Jordan Lane
02-03-2017, 7:57 AM
I dont even see an SKS model listed on the senco website...where can i find this model... i need to replace an old porter cable

Jerome Stanek
02-03-2017, 8:14 AM
I dont even see an SKS model listed on the senco website...where can i find this model... i need to replace an old porter cable

I worked at 3 different shops and the Senco SKS was the only one that held up. I bought mine from Ebay 10 years ago and have shop thousands af staples through it. We build Trade show displays and that is what we use for all the wall panels.

Try this

http://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/sksxp-l

Jack Lemley
02-03-2017, 8:24 AM
Had a Grex and didn't like it. I posted earlier in this thread that I use a Senco and someone asked for the model number here it is...
Senco SLS20 490105N 3/8-Inch to 1-1/2-Inch Narrow Crown Stapler
Jack

Martin Wasner
02-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I worked at 3 different shops and the Senco SKS was the only one that held up. I bought mine from Ebay 10 years ago and have shop thousands af staples through it. We build Trade show displays and that is what we use for all the wall panels.

Try this

http://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/sksxp-l

My first woodworking job was building laminate countertops. I usually did assembly of cores, and I went through a box of 5000 staples a week pretty regularly. I don't remember us ever having one of the SKS guns going down, but that was almost 20 years ago. That was pretty hard steady use. I'd give it a couple drops of oil every single day.

I don't use 1/4" crown staples much in my business, but I bought mine in probably 1999 or 2000, and haven't had to do anything to it other than oil it once in a while and pull the trigger. It's a solid design.

Keith Weber
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
You guys are enablers! It's one of those tools I wouldn't use very often, but occasionally it would really be handy to have one, and I've often thought about buying one. I just went on eBay and ordered a new Senco SLS150Mg 1/4" stapler. For $90 delivered to my door, I can't complain about the price. I have a Senco 15ga angle nailer that has performed flawlessly for years and a Senco 18ga nailer that I only use occasionally. Hopefully this one stands up to the quality of my other two Sencos. For the price, I can't help but think that it'll be made in China. Hopefully not, but it's got a 5 year warranty.

Ben Rivel
02-03-2017, 5:34 PM
Had a Grex and didn't like it. I posted earlier in this thread that I use a Senco and someone asked for the model number here it is...
Senco SLS20 490105N 3/8-Inch to 1-1/2-Inch Narrow Crown Stapler

Jack
What didnt you like about the Grex?

Warren Lake
02-03-2017, 6:40 PM
Senco before or Senco now. Got senco stuff over 40 years old. all of it US made so where now? The last new Senco I bought was a roofing nailer and it was right when they were bringing Offshore stuff here and not US. Fortunately a nice guy at Senco thought i was a novelty and on his own found me a US supplier with stock and passed the info on. I hadnt asked that and was impressed he did that. It was the first Senco I bought from the US and at the time landed it was 30 percent cheaper than buying the replacement up here in Canada. I dont remember all my model numbers but will take a look. 1/4" think from 5/8 to 1 1/4" Very happy with the old stuff, new stuff dont know it. IN the old days say 1980 when I bought this stuff it was very expensive and still using it. One I bought at an auction took it in for service, they repaired it as I was there no charge and said they made the money on the staples. The good old days.

Mark W Pugh
02-03-2017, 8:55 PM
You guys are enablers! It's one of those tools I wouldn't use very often, but occasionally it would really be handy to have one, and I've often thought about buying one. I just went on eBay and ordered a new Senco SLS150Mg 1/4" stapler. For $90 delivered to my door, I can't complain about the price. I have a Senco 15ga angle nailer that has performed flawlessly for years and a Senco 18ga nailer that I only use occasionally. Hopefully this one stands up to the quality of my other two Sencos. For the price, I can't help but think that it'll be made in China. Hopefully not, but it's got a 5 year warranty.

Thanks for info. I want a nailer that friggin drives staples when I need them driven.

I was just working on a project, using a Porta Nails stapler my dad gave me, and half way through, it quit shooting staples. At least it was driving dents into the wood.

The driver (?) would not retract. I tore it apart, no apparent reason why it should not retract.

Again, drive staples when I need them driven, nothing else. I don't care the color, but it ain't worth a bank account wad of money to me.

Thanks

edit Sorry for the small rant, still pissed off at stapler. I need one to shoot at max 1 1/2 sales, or bigger if it's a better deal. A good range is preferred.

Jack Lemley
02-03-2017, 11:05 PM
I have 3 other Grex guns and love them. The narrow crown stapler just seemed a bit awkward to use for me and didn't like the looks of it (a little petty on my part) but the look and feel of my tools are important to me. This is my hobby and the enjoyment of my tools is a serious part of the process of making furniture.

Jack

What didnt you like about the Grex?

BOB OLINGER
02-04-2017, 9:40 AM
Mark,

For me, when faced with a similar decision, is "how much are you going to use it?" I have PC, Bostich, Craftsman. If I was going to use it like daily as a professional, I'd likely lean to one of the name brands. If only occasional use, I'd likely check out HF. I used to be leary of HF air tools, but purchased a pneumatic shingle nailer - worked flawlessly for my job (just 1 job), also purchased a pneumatic floor nailer - also worked flawlessly. I purchased the lower cost HF tools instead of renting the specialized air tools and was money ahead, didn't need to be concerned about rental times. I like PC, but I'd likely check out HF on a brad nailer or stapler next move.

Mark W Pugh
02-09-2017, 5:42 PM
https://bigskytool.com/?utm_campaign=651406_DS18DGl%20w%20free%20kit&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Big%20Sky%20Tool&dm_i=2UW7,DYMM,25BDA9,1EWQ4,1 .try this sight ,i have bought a few of there reconditioned tools and have done very well .i have there 1/4" stapler .it replaced several others .by far the better of the ones i have owned and it cost me less then 50$ .have run through boxes of staples over the years .mostly 1 1/2" .

They had what I needed at an awesome price. I bought the "C" grade, which has nicks and rubs, but it's a refurbed tool. Works great. I'm liking this company.