PDA

View Full Version : Phase converter for Martin table saw?

John Sincerbeaux
02-01-2017, 12:45 PM
I just ordered a Martin T60C. Martin recommends using "Phase Perfect" digital converters to power their machines. I have been using a Kay Industries rotary converter for years. I know their converters to be some of the best in the industry. I am wondering if there are any guys out there powering their Martins on "rotary" converters.
Thanks

Chris Hachet
02-01-2017, 12:47 PM
This would be of interest to me also, as I am expanding the power tool side of my woodworking shop.

peter gagliardi
02-01-2017, 1:00 PM
That is a high end machine, and I think you would benefit hugely from a state of the art convertor. The electronics in these machines are so sensitive, you will probably be having fits if you don't.

I know, as I bought a '07 T73 a few years back that started its life in farm country in Ohio on a simple rotary convertor. I think the original owner had issues, undisclosed to me. I bought it, and hooked it to true 3 ph power, but I think the damage was done. It would always "code out" or go on the blink at random times. Always when Martin was closed, so they couldn't troubleshoot, when I was trying to finish a job- nights, weekends, you get the picture.
Anyway, finally after about 2 years of that frustration, the screen died- I then had a boat anchor, cuz nothing happens without that screen.
3 grand later and it was operational!
Used it a couple months more, kept having issues, and sold it at a loss, just to have the frustration gone.

I now have a new T75 PreX and hardly any of those issues.

Michael Koons
02-01-2017, 1:13 PM
All I can add is that I got the same exact feedback from Martin. I was told it messes up the display screen. Got similar feedback from Altendorf. So I have just limited my search to machines that don't have the displays. I'm told those will work with my rotary. I have an American Rotary PC on my Felder AD941 and it works great.

David Kumm
02-01-2017, 1:46 PM
I'd talk to both Kay and PP. Both are great companies. I started with a Kay and went eventually to the PP. The PP is top of the food chain but the Kay is also the top of the Rotary pile. You for sure would want to test the Kay to balance the third leg for the load of the Martin and avoid that leg for any of the electronics. While I'm sure you can balance a RPC to work fine, it certainly is a valid point that now is the time to upgrade to the PP. High end complicated machinery is expensive to fix and providing balanced power under all size loads with virtually no noise is pretty nice. I kept my Kay as a backup and used a double throw switch to be able to power with either unit. Haven't needed the Kay as the PP has worked flawlessly for the past five years. Dave

John Sincerbeaux
02-01-2017, 2:35 PM
Thanks guys!
Exactly the info I was looking for. No doubt, the last thing I would do is put this investment at risk. I have already priced PP's and have figured the cost within my investment. My Kay is in pristine shape and just wanted some feedback before I sold it.
Again, thanks
John

David Zaret
02-01-2017, 3:07 PM
john, i just went through this very thing with the same saw.

in the old shop i had an American Rotary 30HP to run the martins (also have a j/p setup), mostly went with AR because the generated leg is pretty clean and accurate, relative to other rotaries. in the new shop, there is a PP on the wall. i think i bought it from carl at martin, he has good pricing.

one of the things that tipped me over the edge was when i put an ammeter on the AR - at idle that thing pulled 40 amps. that's with zero load. frankly, even with the additional cost of the PP, to me, that waste was unacceptable and i decided to go the more efficient, accurate route of the PP.

good luck with your saw.

(edit) john my model is PT3110 (/edit)

--- dz

Max Neu
02-01-2017, 6:06 PM
I bought a Martin T27 Flex shaper,and it would not run right with my Kah converter,so I ended up getting a phase perfect.As mentioned above ,the Martin electronics are very sensitive,and I didn't want to risk damaging the electronics, especially since Martin won't warranty it with a rotary converter,but they will with a phase perfect.

Kevin Jenness
02-01-2017, 7:36 PM
I am curious about the sensitivity of these electronics to utility supplied three phase power. Is the issue unbalanced voltage among the three legs, and what range of variation is problematic?

Larry Edgerton
02-01-2017, 8:07 PM
I have a friend that is running a CNC on a rotary and then through a VFD to clean it up, said it was cheaper. That said, I want a PP, but I have heard that they are not servicing some that are a few years old. Afraid to spend that much money and be stuck with a non serviced box. Currently running on a 50HP rotary, umm, the other big brand?

Eric Commarato
02-02-2017, 8:50 AM
American Rotary are the best. Watch their videos on YouTube, you can't go wrong with this company they are first rate. I believe they have a scratch and dent sale going on not as well.

David Kumm
02-02-2017, 12:21 PM
The older blue ones have a board that isn't supported anymore. the newer white ones used several smaller boards that are supported and less costly to replace. Dave

Joe Calhoon
02-02-2017, 1:29 PM
I am curious about the sensitivity of these electronics to utility supplied three phase power. Is the issue unbalanced voltage among the three legs, and what range of variation is problematic?

Kevin, I have 220 three phase with a wild leg from the utility. My older Martins run fine on this with the wild leg off the control side. Same with a CNC window machine we have. The newer T12 shaper is 440 and running that with a transformer. The output from the transformer is all correct voltage though so still not a clear answer if the wild leg would cause problems with the newer machines.

Charles Lent
02-02-2017, 4:31 PM
In all my years of connecting and servicing offset printing presses with massive amounts of electronics I always made certain to connect the control circuits across the original legs and let the 3 phase motors run off the wild leg and the other two. I never had a problem when this was done, but some customers didn't do this and had all kinds of trouble, usually resulting in a service call by me to fix it. All I ever needed to do was make certain that the control circuits were hooked up correctly and change them when they weren't. to keep the wild leg for the third motor phase to the motors and not use it for the control circuits, whether it be from the power company or a RPC, and everything was fine, even with an off brand RPC, but I do recommend getting a good one. You do get what you pay for.

Charley

Rick Fisher
02-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Hey John

I took delivery of a T-60C and run it on a Phase Perfect 355 20hp ..

Turn on the converter, wait 7 or 8 seconds and the saw screen comes on .. So far its seem-less. The controls seem to be all 24V on the saw.

The T-60C has a nice soft start system, I would consider it an easy starting machine compared to others I have in my shop.

I would suggest you look at a Pneumatic Blast Gate for the T-60C .. I installed a switch for mine right near the front of the saw..