PDA

View Full Version : WoodSucker

Jerry Todd
06-20-2003, 9:26 AM
Looks as if I will go with the WoodSucker for the main Dust Collection in my new shop. Hope that a fellow Creeker has one and can give some impute. Would like to know about the noise level and ease of installation. Thanks, Jerry

john lawson
06-20-2003, 9:42 AM
I have a Woodsucker, have owned it about 18 months. It's a very good system with no problems. I especially like the filter arrangement. You don't have to clean it so often and it works very well. I purchased a barrel locally and just put a "hefty" type bag in it when I empty the sawdust.

The installation was simple, but not easy. I did it by myself. With another person helping you it should be fairly easy. The only problem was stabilizing the weight and bulk of putting up the cyclone.

Noise is a problem with any system. I find it mildly objectionable. As someone else pointed out it's low frequecy instead of high frequency like a router. I have not tried to muffle it in any way. If anyone has I would be interested in their method.

Overall it is a very good system. Well worth the money.

john

Jim Becker
06-20-2003, 9:58 AM
There are several things you can do to mitigate noise from any DC system and a cyclone is actually easier to accomodate due to its compact design. Firstly, consider housing the unit in an enclosure...mine is shown below. (This is also a good place to stash the compressor)

Secondly, on units that allow for it, a muffler on the line between the blower and the filters can help reduce noise. Due to the design of the Woodsucker product, I don't think you can do that without modification, however.

Scott Coffelt
06-20-2003, 10:49 AM
From what I can tell it is solid built unit. On the muffler front, I designed a low budget muffler. The plans are on Dust Eliminator site http://www.dusteliminator.com/. terry's site won't be up much longer so down loaded soon.

Our tests show a 11db drop in noise level. You can take the basic design I have and modify to any outlet size. In fact the new blower I am building requires a 8" transistion to 10" and back, so the 6/8 version I made will not be used.

I put about $20-25 in the one in the plans. I suspect about another $5-10 to build the bigger unit. You can make it longer if your space permits.

Just so you can get a feel, when I checked around they went anywhere from about $60-$200 to buy one depending on the size. Save some bucks and make it yourself. It took my about 1-2 hours to build as I was designing and documenting my efforts as I went along.

Dennis McDonaugh
06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
I've had the woodsucker about a year and half and its a great machine. I use 6" mains and keep at least two gates open at all times so I don't starve the blower. I bought a lightweight steel trash can at Home depot and it works great to collect the chips. You just have to watch the level in the can because you can fill it up quickly. The overflow goes into the filter and is a PITA to get out (DAMHIKT).

Jamey Moss
06-20-2003, 2:36 PM
I've had a WoodSucker for almost a year, and it's been everything I expected (except that it is louder than I wanted). For longer jobs like sanding, I use ear muffs to block the noise. It is not something that you can just leave running and forget that it is on, but it is not as loud as a planer or router.

I added an Oneida 8" muffler to the output that did help a little bit, but not enough for my taste. If I get the time, I will try building a longer muffler like on Terry's site and/or add an inclosure like Jim mentioned.

Like others have noted, you will probably need help assembling it, especially lifting the cyclone to the motor. I was able to mount the motor to the wall by myself by using supports that I screwed onto the wall, but it was not easy.

Enjoy your cleaner shop and let us know how it turns out.

Doug Littlejohn
06-20-2003, 4:16 PM
Jim Becker said:

B]Firstly, consider housing the unit in an enclosure...mine is shown below. (This is also a good place to stash the compressor)[/B]

I'm with Jim. In my case I'll be putting my DC unit outside in it's own little room and yes, the compressor will also go there. Being on the outside has the advantage that dust not caught (no cyclone here, just DC) will exhaust to the outside. I live up in the hill so no neighborhood problems.

You can even add insulation to the 'room' to reduce the noise much further.

Merle Clor
06-20-2003, 8:07 PM
Jerry,
Please keep us updated with your progress. I just ordered one and woold enjoy learning from your experience.
Thanks,
Merle

Jerry Todd
06-21-2003, 3:30 PM
Thanks to all that responded. Based on your advice I will place the WoodSucker, (will place order in the next two weeks), in a separate room. Will have to rethink the placement of the power equipment but this is the time to do it as the rough electric will start in July. Here is a picture of the new workshop. The garage door is for the lawn equipment and is where I will place the WoodSucker. That will leave 1000 sq ft for the workshop. Hope to make some sawdust in September. Again thanks for the advice.

Jim Becker
06-21-2003, 4:01 PM
Here is a picture of the new workshop.

Wow! That's a great looking shop building. Congratulations!!

Ken Salisbury
06-21-2003, 4:32 PM
<p align="center"><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="5">&quot;WOW ! ! -- What a beautiful shop &quot;</font></p>

<p align="center"><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="3">&quot;Are ya gonna put one of your medallion logos in the door :D &quot;</font></p>

Glenn Clabo
06-21-2003, 4:45 PM
Here is a picture of the new workshop. The garage door is for the lawn equipment and is where I will place the WoodSucker. That will leave 1000 sq ft for the workshop. Hope to make some sawdust in September. Again thanks for the advice.

Geez...I thought you were going to say something like...Here's my house with the shop built on the end.

Nice place...and I'm jealous.

Peter Stahl
06-21-2003, 9:02 PM
Thanks to all that responded. Based on your advice I will place the WoodSucker, (will place order in the next two weeks), in a separate room. Will have to rethink the placement of the power equipment but this is the time to do it as the rough electric will start in July. Here is a picture of the new workshop. The garage door is for the lawn equipment and is where I will place the WoodSucker. That will leave 1000 sq ft for the workshop. Hope to make some sawdust in September. Again thanks for the advice.

Your shop is bigger than my first house.

Pete

David Blangger
06-23-2003, 8:59 AM
Jerry, I followed the construction of your new home and shop you had built simontaneously. If that is whast retirement is all about...come on 8 years :D I am ready.

It is beautiful. By the way I had been cotemplating the Hardie siding also for my new shop and the remodeling of the front of the house. I assume you are pleased with it??

David

Jerry Todd
06-23-2003, 9:53 AM
Jerry, I followed the construction of your new home and shop you had built simontaneously. If that is whast retirement is all about...come on 8 years :D I am ready.

It is beautiful. By the way I had been cotemplating the Hardie siding also for my new shop and the remodeling of the front of the house. I assume you are pleased with it??

David
David, So far I am happy with the siding but only time will tell. The painting contractor let me know that he is installing the same siding on his new residence that is under construction. That made me feel better.
A Post Note on the WoodSucker: After reading all the comments and talking with Larry from WoodSucker I have now decided to build a soundproof closet around the Cyclone, that way the tools will be closer to dust collection and less turns.
And Yes David, retirement is fantastic.
Again thanks to everyone for all the great input.

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Jerry -

Great looking shop. I'll be right down to help you use it.

Ted

Jerry Todd
06-23-2003, 6:09 PM
Jerry -

Great looking shop. I'll be right down to help you use it.

Ted

Ted, You and any creeker are welcome in my shop. Only 5 minutes off Inerstate 75 but just give me a few months to finish the inside.

Jerry

Jim Becker
06-23-2003, 6:14 PM
Ted, You and any creeker are welcome in my shop. Only 5 minutes off Inerstate 75 but just give me a few months to finish the inside.

My parents are just south of you below Ocala in Summerfield...you live in a great area!