PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 6000 vs 8000 selection- after much reading of many, many threads

Paul Bent
02-01-2017, 9:09 AM
Currently I am going from diamond 1200 to green compound on mdf and it takes quite a while to remove that coarse edge. I have recently gave up on the convex bevel after a few years and I am thinking that either a sigma 6000 or 8000 would be the way to go considering I have some A2 plane blades along with some HSS blades which seem to take forever. I don't mind the "stropping" but I question the time it seems to take me.

Would the above be a wise choice? If so, which? I still plan on using the LV green stuff for a final finish as needed.

Roughly what seems to be the time frame from ordering to arrival in the midwest?

I considered the spyderco uf also from thread reading.

I am only going to be purchasing new one stone currently, so I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance-

Derek Cohen
02-01-2017, 9:14 AM
Paul, if you are going from a 1200 diamond, and will finish on green compound (both decent choices), then I would have the Sigma 6000 as the middle stone. That is a better jump than the 8000, which is a little too high (I use the 6000 and 13000).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Paul Bent
02-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Thank you Derek, that is what I ordered and will look forward to using. All the best- Paul

David Eisenhauer
02-01-2017, 12:07 PM
I believe you will like the sigma 6,000 stone. It works very well for me on O1 and A2 steel both, however it does require flattening after vigorous use.

Paul Bent
05-16-2017, 9:28 PM
A quick update on the sigma 6000. After using this stone for 2 months, I love it. A night a day difference going to the mdf with green stuff after using this stone vs. straight from 1200 diamond to the mdf or should I say 3 strokes on mdf now vs. 30 strokes before. And I feel I have a much more finished edge. I'm happy. It is also teaching me that I wasn't fully utilizing my other stones ability to finish off the steel.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-19-2017, 9:58 AM
Thanks, I always appreciate updates such as this. I considered getting one of these stones, but I am not sure I need another stone!