PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations/suggestions for table saw extension wings

Michael Walton
01-31-2017, 10:32 PM
I've been moving slowly restoring a family Delta 34-444 table saw. Everything cranks nicely, fence is square, blade is square, and I've got a zero clearance insert. But right now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the extension wings. I have a set of stamped wings that would need to be sanded and painted, but are otherwise is in good working order. But it got me thinking, what is the preferred extension wing setup for a hobbyist with a small space to work?

The table saw originally had one left-side stamped extension wing and a 32" right-side extension as part of the Delta 34-915 Unifence package (the particle board has now deteriorated). Using two stamped wings has the advantage of a smaller mobile base. However, would it make more sense to go back to a 32" right-side extension? Build a table saw cabinet? Integrate a router table? I realize this is all a matter of personal preference, but I'm not sure what direction to take it.

Rick Potter
02-01-2017, 3:44 AM
If you have the room, I would certainly restore it back to the 32" size. The original right side table on my Unisaw was merely particle board with formica on the top side. No big deal to replicate. I have a router table, but still drilled a hole in my right side table and just hung a 690 router on it for quick roundovers etc. No plate, lift, or anything special, just used a quick tightening (allen wrench) chuck so bits could be changed under the table.

Come to thing of it, I should swap that 690 out for a Milwaukee I have. It has an 'above the table' adjuster on it, and all I would have to do is drill another small hole for the wrench. That would make it a lot more handy. Hmmm. Thanks for getting me thinking about it.

Michael Walton
02-01-2017, 7:47 AM
The problem with the 32" table extension is it makes moving the saw unwieldy -- but that may also be a function of the 1980s era mobile base. Is there a better design for multipurpose work but also allowing the saw to be mobile? The stamped wings don't inspire confidence (or flatness) but I started this intellectual process with trying to make a more mobile table saw.

I should add my "shop" is in flux as well. Not sure if it's permanent home will be the garage or basement.

Michael Walton
02-01-2017, 8:29 PM
Am I crazy to just flip the extension wings upside down and make MDF inserts so that I have a nice flush surface?

EDIT: Yea that's not gonna work. Going to build a 24" cabinet to go under that spot I think. Some sort of hybrid version of a replacement table.

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2017, 9:13 PM
Woodsmith featured a router wing that fits the left side of the saw. This way feed is in same direction as with saw. Two problems with right wing RT is feed direction, and usually right side gets up against the wall.

Michael Walton
02-01-2017, 9:40 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is just how long an extension wing I can put w/out having to use legs. I'm assuming I can bolt some angle iron to the front/back and have a slightly smaller table w/out much fuss? I'd love to have a router wing, but I think the added weight would necessitate legs.

Chris Schoenthal
02-02-2017, 4:13 PM
I've been toying for a while about building the TS workcenter shown in ShopNotes #89, but modifying it some to add some more room on the right side.
Also adding the optional outfeed stand that runs the whole length of the saw and more storage.

Michael Walton
02-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Yea I think I'm at the point where I'd like a reasonable amount of extension on the right side but hoping to upgrade the table saw eventually so don't want to go too overboard. My experiments will start tomorrow. Anyone know how to calculate how much weight I can hang off two pieces of angle iron?