PDA

View Full Version : Using Wenge or other "toxic" woods for cutting boards

Bao Loi
01-31-2017, 4:37 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to use Wenge in one of my cutting boards, but upon doing some research I've been reading that you should avoid it. I also read in some forums that you can finish it in a way for it to not have any toxic reactions. It seems like this is a heated topic on the term "toxic," but I'm looking for information on if I choose to use it how can I finish it so that it won't have any harmful effects.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!352959

Tom Trees
02-01-2017, 1:30 AM
I thought wenge was one of the most splintery of woods ....
Having just got over a mild reaction to iroko ...just from being contact for half an hour toughing it the last time ...
I have been hoarding the stuff from skips and only got round to hand plane surfacing all of it for the last few months .. lots and lots
and you can smell the stuff when you enter the workshop.
Planing in intervals , I kind of noticed some irritation before around my brow lines on my forehead ...but the last one was a definite reaction
has been around my mouth and lips ..a burning feeling , and irritated throat well afterwards that was like the start of a cold AKA...am I gonna get the cold stage.
I noticed it again when wore a jumper and it returned .
Tom

Andy Giddings
02-01-2017, 8:18 AM
I've used it as a border with no issue (see photo) but it would be expensive for a full board and, as Tom stated, it splinters very easily. Not sure how well it would work being worked with a knife all the time

Michael Dye
02-01-2017, 8:28 AM
Andy, I must say that is one hell of a nice looking cutting board. Not sure if I could ever put a knife on that work of art. Hang it on the wall?????????????maybe

John Lanciani
02-01-2017, 8:41 AM
I suspect that I'm in the minority but my feeling on cutting boards (that are meant to be used as cutting boards) is that maple and birch are the only two woods that make sense. All of the other woods have limitations; too soft, too hard, too porous, too splintery, too toxic...

Now if you're making an art piece or a serving tray anything goes.

Andy Giddings
02-01-2017, 8:46 AM
Thanks Michael, I built it from the plans MTM Wood supplies. It does get full use - we're both originally from the UK and my wife is a keen cook so it was one of her Christmas presents. Materials are Padauk, Purpleheart and Maple. His site was very useful to me as he also has a free download covering the different woods suitable for cutting boards and the pros/cons of each one. Some of his designs make the one I made look like kid's stuff :-)

Andrew Hughes
02-01-2017, 9:22 AM
I suspect that I'm in the minority but my feeling on cutting boards (that are meant to be used as cutting boards) is that maple and birch are the only two woods that make sense. All of the other woods have limitations; too soft, too hard, too porous, too splintery, too toxic...

Now if you're making an art piece or a serving tray anything goes.

I agree I just don't think you can find a better word then Hard maple for a cutting board.Even a maple board can be so nice the recipient will not want to mark it.
So don't pretty them up.

Andy Giddings
02-01-2017, 9:35 AM
Choice of wood can also be different depending on where you live, availability and cost of material, and whether you want to make it plain or interesting. Clearly nobody wants to poison anyone so toxic woods are a no-no, but otherwise its entirely up to the woodworker. After all, isn't creativity and challenge part of the reason for having a hobby?

Bao Loi
02-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes, that's one heck of a board :) I guess I'm going to have to rethink its use and maybe make it into a serving tray instead.

Thanks Michael, I built it from the plans MTM Wood supplies. It does get full use - we're both originally from the UK and my wife is a keen cook so it was one of her Christmas presents. Materials are Padauk, Purpleheart and Maple. His site was very useful to me as he also has a free download covering the different woods suitable for cutting boards and the pros/cons of each one. Some of his designs make the one I made look like kid's stuff :-)

John K Jordan
02-01-2017, 12:47 PM

I agree. Dogwood is good too but a lot harder to find.

Among the 120 species of wood in my shop you won't find any wenge. I've used it for turning and I disliked it so much I gave all my stock to the first person who expressed an interest. I don't like the way it cuts, feels, finishes, or looks. Besides that, it's probably ok...

JKJ

Wade Lippman
02-01-2017, 3:47 PM
I worked in a butcher shop, and our blocks were made of beech.

I love wenge! Admittedly I have only used it twice in the 15 years I have owned it, but it has worked out great those two times.

John K Jordan
02-01-2017, 6:53 PM
I worked in a butcher shop, and our blocks were made of beech.
I love wenge! Admittedly I have only used it twice in the 15 years I have owned it, but it has worked out great those two times.

If I get any more I'll send it to you.

JKJ

Bao Loi
02-02-2017, 12:37 PM
You can send some my way too please ;)

If I get any more I'll send it to you.

JKJ

Don Orr
02-03-2017, 11:12 AM
My inclination for cutting boards is to use only close grain (diffuse porous) domestic hardwoods like maple, birch, beech, cherry, sycamore, apple, pear, etc. No ring porous woods or exotics-ever. This goes for any type of kitchen utensil like rolling pins, spatulas, spoons, etc. Why take the chance?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
My inclination for cutting boards is to use only close grain (diffuse porous) domestic hardwoods like maple, birch, beech, cherry, sycamore, apple, pear, etc. No ring porous woods or exotics-ever. This goes for any type of kitchen utensil like rolling pins, spatulas, spoons, etc. Why take the chance?

I couldn't agree more. Why take a chance? It's not worth it to me.

Andy Giddings
02-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I can understand the close grain, what's the reason for not wanting to use exotic woods?

Mike Cutler
02-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

I wanted to use Wenge in one of my cutting boards, but upon doing some research I've been reading that you should avoid it. I also read in some forums that you can finish it in a way for it to not have any toxic reactions. It seems like this is a heated topic on the term "toxic," but I'm looking for information on if I choose to use it how can I finish it so that it won't have any harmful effects.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!352959

I've done a fair bit of work with wedge through the years, and it wouldn't be my first choice for a cutting board. Not because of the toxicity, but because of the way it splinters.
Wenge splinters hurt like hell. It seems to break with little barbs making them painful to pull out. The really fine splinters are almost like fiberglass they just stick to everything. It's the only wood I've ever worn gloves with, to work it.
The only way I would make a cutting board from wenge would be to completely coat it in epoxy as finish.
I've made cutting boards from Bubinga and Jatoba, both hard tropicals and they've worked out very well.

The USDA and the FDA actually have quite a few regulations about the construction of cutting boards made from wood and the acceptable finishes. It's an interesting read for any one that would like to make them commercially, and sell them.

Bao Loi
02-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the advice! Can you send me the resource for the FDA on cutting boards?

Thank you!

I've done a fair bit of work with wedge through the years, and it wouldn't be my first choice for a cutting board. Not because of the toxicity, but because of the way it splinters.
Wenge splinters hurt like hell. It seems to break with little barbs making them painful to pull out. The really fine splinters are almost like fiberglass they just stick to everything. It's the only wood I've ever worn gloves with, to work it.
The only way I would make a cutting board from wenge would be to completely coat it in epoxy as finish.
I've made cutting boards from Bubinga and Jatoba, both hard tropicals and they've worked out very well.

The USDA and the FDA actually have quite a few regulations about the construction of cutting boards made from wood and the acceptable finishes. It's an interesting read for any one that would like to make them commercially, and sell them.

Don Orr
02-06-2017, 3:09 PM
Mostly it has to do with the significant potential for toxicity and/or allergic reaction. There are several sources for lists of wood toxicity. While it may not be a problem for you, it could be a very serious issue for someone else, say a family member who gets it as a gift, or a customer that buys it. If that customer has a serious reaction, bad enough to cause harm or death, you could lose everything in a lawsuit. Not worth it to me. Especially with so many nice woods available that have very low incidence of toxicity. I'm not a "sky is falling" kind of guy, I just don't need to increase my chances of causing needless problems. Exotic woods are beautiful and I have used several of them, just not for any kind of food contact.