PDA

View Full Version : Grinder woes

Steve Burger
01-31-2017, 4:07 PM
Firstly, I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm conforming to protocol by posting my question here. And thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

I have an old Sears 1/2 hp grinder. Recently, when I lean into the buffing wheel I have mounted on it, the grinder begins to slip as though it's on a clutch, and makes a squealing sound. It's doing so badly enough to make the grinder virtually useless as I'm getting next to no cutting with my abrasive before it "grinds" to a halt. Google has not been my friend on this one. There are a lot of videos and posts about bearing replacement, but I'm not so sure my symptoms match a bad bearing. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks,

Steve

John Lanciani
01-31-2017, 6:29 PM
Have you tried tightening the nut that holds the wheel on the arbor?

Don Jarvie
01-31-2017, 9:42 PM
Buy a new one. Harbor Freight has a buffer with the coupon will be around 35 bucks. If it was a Baldor or a really good one it would be worth fixing it.

Curt Harms
02-01-2017, 9:24 AM
Buy a new one. Harbor Freight has a buffer with the coupon will be around 35 bucks. If it was a Baldor or a really good one it would be worth fixing it.

That might depend on whether Steve has more time or money.:). Belt driven or direct drive? Sqealing & slipping sounds like a loose belt.

Steve Burger
02-01-2017, 4:17 PM
That might depend on whether Steve has more time or money.:). Belt driven or direct drive? Sqealing & slipping sounds like a loose belt.

Maybe, I haven’t ripped it open yet; I had no idea they made belt driven ones. I work on my own cars and it sure acts like a loose/slipping belt. Good lead. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Steve Burger
02-01-2017, 4:20 PM
I didn't know they were that cheap. I might fix it and buy another one. I really need a buffing wheel, scotchbrite wheel, and my grinder. I hate switching out the grinder wheels and pads.

David Freed
02-01-2017, 9:22 PM
These are my grinders; both belt drive. The small one was my grandpas, the big one I bought at an auction for $5.

Steve Burger
02-02-2017, 5:09 PM
Do all of the belt driven units have an externally visible belt? Mine certainly doesn't. I haven't ripped it apart yet, life goes on despite my broken grinder, and it occurred to me that I've seen belt driven units before, but the belt and pulley were always visible.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2017, 6:02 PM
353063If the motor is on the same plane as the shaft between the two grinding wheels like the one in this photo, it's probably not a belt drive.