PDA

View Full Version : Oak NE Bowl

Rob Price
01-31-2017, 3:48 PM
I was hurrying to get this done and finished for my neighbors for Christmas so I didn't get a chance to set up my photo booth, so excuse the iPhone photos. My neighbor had an oak tree fall in their yard, I had a real hard time finding any really interesting looking pieces, and I've never liked just plain straight oak bowls. So I decided to try a NE bowl. I'm actually very happy with how it turned out. The only other NE bowls I've done before were walnut with it's big blocky bark. I have one more from the same log I need to sand and finish.

It had a yellowish sickly color to it, so I fumed it in ammonia for 5 hours. Then finished with polymerized tung oil I had left over from a previous project, 5 or 6 coats, I don't remember.

I tried to do a ringed foot on the chuck tenon, but my center 'nub' broke off prematurely so it wasn't quite the foot I was looking for and it was finished with a lot of sanding by hand, but a passable first effort. The second bowl has a better foot. I'll try to get it finished in a bit.

Thanks for looking.

Fred Belknap
01-31-2017, 5:29 PM
Rob I like it. I got some polymerized tung oil but haven't tried it yet. Your bowls has kind of given the urge to try it.

jared parson
01-31-2017, 6:24 PM
Very nice.

Thomas Heck
01-31-2017, 6:58 PM
Nice work.

Sid Matheny
01-31-2017, 7:04 PM
Mighty fine NE bowl and you have a lucky neighbor.

Rob Price
01-31-2017, 7:46 PM
Thanks guys.

I used the PTO on a dining room table that gets occasional use. It has to be freshened up every couple of years to bring the sheen back up but I really like the oil/hand rubbed feel. It's been a good finish for me. Just pricey. This was the first time I used it on a bowl.