PDA

View Full Version : Changing a 17' high light bulb?

Wade Lippman
01-31-2017, 1:25 PM
My family room ceiling is 17' high and has two recessed light fixtures. How the heck do I change light bulbs. We rarely use them because I don't know how to change them if they burn out.
The biggest stepladder I can find to rent is 14', which doesn't seem high enough.
I bought a 15' pole that has a suction cup on the end. I tried it on a same, but lower fixtures, and it works; but the idea of a bulb falling 17' is horrible. We would be cleaning up glass shards for the next 20 years.
I thought of having a few people with pillows in trash cans to catch the bulb if it falls, but that seems chancy.

Any ideas?

Howard Garner
01-31-2017, 1:50 PM
14 foot ladder places the top within 3 feet on the ceiling.
Standing on the third rung down should place you within reaching distance of the light fixture.
(unless you are extremely short ;))

Dan Friedrichs
01-31-2017, 1:56 PM
I needed a tall ladder, once (to install a ceiling fan on a tall, vaulted ceiling). The cost of such a tall ladder (even to rent) was quite a bit. I bought 3, 16' 2x4s and built a tripod-like structure, then nailed short 2x4 "steps" up one side (also obviously had some other horizontal members to hold the tripod pieces in place). Worked really surprisingly well, and when I was done, just unscrewed it and reused the lumber for some other thing...

You could also install LED bulbs that would not burn out and would not contain shatter-able glass...

Van Huskey
01-31-2017, 2:00 PM
I change bulbs that high up on a 12' ladder, never had an issue. A 14' ladder would be a luxury.

I just measured and the bulbs in the chandelier are at 17' 3" (the ceiling is 24' IIRC).

Mike Henderson
01-31-2017, 2:02 PM
When I had a house with a ceiling like that I bought a "tool" that was an extension pole with a thing that would grab the bulb (not a suction cup). From there, I could unscrew the bulb. Replacement was the opposite - put a new bulb in the fixture and push and screw it into the socket.

Mike

Lee Schierer
01-31-2017, 2:37 PM
These basket type of bulb grabbers work better than the suction cups.

Wade Lippman
01-31-2017, 4:26 PM
I tried the basket thing; the fixture it pretty tight to the bulb and I couldn't get it through.

I tried a 9' ceiling with a 6' ladder and it worked; so 17' with a 14' should be okay also, though I would be much more comfortable down a step.
I surely wouldn't have the nerve to try it on a 12' ladder!

Thanks

Rick Moyer
01-31-2017, 5:00 PM
the bigger question is: How many woodworkers does it take to change a light bulb?:D

Lee Schierer
01-31-2017, 5:21 PM
I don't know we haven't got it changed yet...:eek:

Von Bickley
01-31-2017, 5:32 PM
You can easily do it with the 14 ft. ladder and 4 kitchen chairs......

Stan Calow
01-31-2017, 6:00 PM
I tried to use a 14' step ladder once. Not only was it a challenge to get it home in my pick-up, but it was too large to open the legs and fit in the room in which I was working. I used a 12' instead, with a short extension stick. I'd take chances on dropping the bulb - put a sheet or something down.

Wade Lippman
01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
The 14' ladder weighs 86 pounds. Shouldn't be any harder to cartop than an aluminum canoe, should it?
And it wouldn't be much over 15' collapsed, so I can't see opening it would be a problem.

Putting a sheet down would catch 90% of the debris, but I can see a fountain of glass shooting up everywhere.

Shawn Pixley
02-01-2017, 8:52 AM
I have about 20 or so fixtures in our 16' ceilings. I use the pole with the suction cup. They all got switched to compact fluorescents. Now I need to switch to LED's.

The pole is daunting at first, but it gets easier.

Ole Anderson
02-01-2017, 9:02 AM
When you change them, do it once, go with LED's. Did that with a chandelier in my stairwell that was always burning out bulbs.

Barry McFadden
02-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Can't resist .......... I've never seen a 17' high light bulb ...... usually seem to be around 5" to 6" high!!!!!!!!

Jim Tobias
02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
+1 on Shawn's post. I use a pole(several screwed together) with suction cup to change out exterior bulbs that are 3 stories up. Wet/clean the suction cup good before using it and it will grip!

Jim

Stan Calow
02-01-2017, 5:37 PM
The ladder I rented and tried to use was actually 16'. The spread of legs at the bottom was almost 9'. That was wider than the space in any direction in the room where I needed it. Bringing home in my pickup was either having ten feet of it hanging out the bed, or ten feet pointing up and forward over the cab. It was too high to clear a couple of bridges so had to plan a route around. Never thought about tying to roof of a car, but didn't have one anyway.

glenn bradley
02-01-2017, 5:47 PM
These basket type of bulb grabbers work better than the suction cups.

This is what I use without issue.

Keith Westfall
02-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Use the suction cup, and have someone standing by with a fishing net..., just in case!

John Ziebron
02-02-2017, 11:20 PM
I've had the same problem in the last 2 houses where there is not enough room to get the basket type device around the bulb. But many years ago I learned 2 things that work together. Use the suction cup but first run it under hot water to soften it and the water then also helps create an airtight seal. It's best to try and put the suction cup as near to the center as you can. Using this method I've never had a bulb drop off and I've been using the same suction cup/pole for the last 14 years.

Jason Roehl
02-03-2017, 6:14 AM
I use a suction cup on a pole all the time at work--on 18' ceilings. The pole has 3 sections held together by a spring pin. I have to take the sections apart and put them together while holding them vertical to remove or install a light bulb without dropping it. The suction isn't strong enough to hold a bulb on an angled pole. I broke the first one I ever changed because I didn't know that...in a courtroom...which was about to start...