PDA

View Full Version : Speed Square

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 11:56 AM
Just curious.. . .

Do any of you buy the $70+ Woodpecker square or the $9.95 speed square from Lowes?

OBTW, my speed square is at least 10 years old. I think I bought it at Lowes.
And, it is square.:)

Jim Koepke
01-31-2017, 12:05 PM
One followed me home from an estate sale for a dollar, maybe less. It has been used once and sits waiting for me to be interested in using it again.

My old try squares and bevel gauges are good enough for me.

jtk

Pat Barry
01-31-2017, 1:06 PM
Just curious.. . .

Do any of you buy the $70+ Woodpecker square or the $9.95 speed square from Lowes?

OBTW, my speed square is at least 10 years old. I think I bought it at Lowes.
And, it is square.:)
I've got a trusty gray plastic one from HD.

Stew Hagerty
01-31-2017, 2:32 PM
I have Woodpeckers $50 Delve Square and love it! It's incredibly handy because of all the features they packed into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogajfMexD1c

I also have 4 of their try squares, from 4" up to 24", which are extremely well made & absolutely dead accurate.

Their Delve Square is on sale again:

http://www.woodpeck.com/delvesquare17.html

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 2:37 PM
I do use my 7 1/4" square frequently. I also have 6" squares.

At one time I was building houses and I did sometimes frame a house up. That's when I grew to appreciate the square.
It frequently rested in the front pocket of a nail apron. I suppose I grew comfortable with the square. If you are cutting
framing lumber with a "skilsaw", it was really handy.

I put "skilsaw" in quotation marks because mine was a Porter Cable. I still have it. It is an 7 1/4" saw. I also had a 6" Black and Decker.
It is an original Black and Decker and is a different animal from current ones. I gave it to one of my son's. It would frame a house and never break a sweat.

I did keep the blade guards on my saws, but some framers
removed their guards. I never saw anyone injured as a result, but it scared me to have one around.

Bill Houghton
01-31-2017, 2:46 PM
I'm with Jim: got one cheap, haven't found it all that useful. I was raised on combination squares, which are still my standard approach.

Chet R Parks
01-31-2017, 2:56 PM
Stew,
I agree, that little Delve Square is great. I think I got it 2 years ago and it's always on my bench.
Chet

steven c newman
01-31-2017, 3:33 PM
Working as a Carpenter a long time ago, always had one in the toolbag....now a days? Meh..
I did make one. Used for a job site TS, guide a router, or a circular saw....just 3 pieces of scrap, and a few screws....

Lee Schierer
01-31-2017, 3:40 PM
A speed square is designed for carpenters. It works well at job sites. Machinist squares and I would classify the Woodpecker square in that category is for more precise work. In carpentry if a cut is off by a half a degree it doesn't make a lot of difference. Cabinet making gets a bit more fussy. You can buy high quality drafting triangles that are just as accurate for a lot less.

Since I have left at least one speed square at a habitat job site never to see it again. I don't feel bad donating $10 to them or one of their workers. I would not be happy losing a $70 square.

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 3:54 PM
I agree. I never measure an angle other than 90 degrees with it.
I have an adjustable triangle I measure other angles with. I also have 45 and 30 degree triangles and a protractor when needed.

I do admire the pretty red squares, and you never know, I might end up buying one.

Patrick Chase
01-31-2017, 4:57 PM
I have a fairly accurate (but cheap) aluminum speed square, but like a lot of others I just don't use it much. Try, combination, and double squares cover basically all of my needs.

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 5:42 PM
I agree with you Patrick, I do use all of the squares you mention. I have Starrett and an Althol squares which are absolutely square and agree with each other. Althol became Starrett, so they are the same only years apart. My use of the speed square is used when I don't want the quality squares at risk on the bench. I really use the square that is convenient or the one I'm in the mood to use. :)

I stand by my comments on the speed square, as I have verified them on occasion. The reason for two quality squares is in case one is dropped. I also have a 6" try square from the borg that checks out, but a 6" long square does not provide the precision I am looking for.

Having two expensive squares already, I am not in the mood to spend money on another. I readily admit the pretty red square is alluring.

Noah Magnuson
01-31-2017, 7:32 PM
I have three woodpecker squares mostly from power tool days. The only one that gets used regularly is the 2"x 3" that I check edge-square with. The others 12" x 8" and triangles are primarily for verifying other jigs and squares and setting saw miters and fences on both power and hand equipment. With the woodpecker, you can buy any number of cheap aluminum squares or speed squares (I have at least 4) and fine tune them on the belt sander with minimal guesswork. I have a 6" starrett that is my main user for marking up.

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 7:57 PM
I also have the Woodpecker Mini Square and like you, I check edges with it for square. It is a delightful little tool.

glenn bradley
01-31-2017, 8:20 PM
Mine comes out about as often as my CMS. I don't often do work that takes advantage of either.

Patrick Walsh
01-31-2017, 10:16 PM
I use high quality Starrett combination squares to build furniture grade projects. I will use a speed square and a framing square to check say a carcass for general squareness. I dont rely on it for precision just as a quick general point of reference. If something is wrong the combination square comes back out.

I also use carpentry squares for glue ups after i have dry fit my pieces using a good square. This way I dont worry so much about getting glue on my nice Sterrett stuff.

Being a general site/finish carpenter i do like a general speed square quite a bit. Hate framing squares for the most part. Piles of junk imop even for there intended purpose.

lowell holmes
01-31-2017, 11:11 PM
When building houses, you lay out rafters using framing squares and they are good for squaring corners. They even find use in squaring cabinets. However, I don't find much use for them in the shop.

Combination and speed squares are my favorite there.

Tony Wilkins
01-31-2017, 11:23 PM
I use a combination square for just about everything but use a framing square for large scale pieces and never a speed square.

Matthew Hills
02-01-2017, 12:28 AM
How does the Delvie compare to their 6" carpenter's square?

I wish Woodpeckers made a 9" triangle.

I've got a 12" aluminum speed square that I don't like because it is too inaccurate (the fence isn't flat).
But I really like being able to mark across the typical board (8"), and I like the long registration surface.
This is the big drawback I have with my 12" combination square -- the head feels a bit too small, and hard to keep it well registered while using the full length of the rule.

In contrast, I *really* like my 6" double square from starrett. Perfect head size for the rule.

Matt

Jeff Ranck
02-01-2017, 10:49 AM
I use a large speed square when I need a large square. I've even resorted to a large carpenter's square when I need a really big square, although the accuracy on my old carpenter's square is not great. All my precision squares tend to be smaller and I tend to use them when they fit.

John K Jordan
02-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I have a half dozen speed squares in various places for rough work in wood and for welding. Be careful, some of the cheap ones are horribly out of square. The speed squares and framing squares get a lot of use around the farm for construction. I started grading for a new peacock house today.

For me, a 12" Starrett combination square, a 6" Starrett double square, and a set of precision machinist squares are what I use in the shop for wood, machining, and aligning tools. A 24" and 36" Starrett are on my list for when I wake up rich some day. Starrett tools are usually not the cheapest but for me they are worth it in the long run, especially those with moving or sliding parts. I especially like the soft finish and readability of their scales in any kind of light.

JKJ

Ray Selinger
02-01-2017, 1:01 PM
Aluminum framing squares are really nice to use. The ones I've checked were on.

steven c newman
02-01-2017, 2:02 PM
Have my late FIL's Steel Framing Square.....nice to layout long cuts. Speed square? Long gone. Have try squares, and combo squares nowadays.

Question: Just wondering how many still know how to read a speed square for what it was intended to do.....I used to use mine all the time, for framing work, and foundation work. There used to be a little blue booklet that came with the better speed squares, too. "Top cut"? Valley Cut? There are a lot of markings to use, IF one knows how to use/read them. last time I was using one....2002. been awhile.

Art Mann
02-01-2017, 9:57 PM
The $9.95 you paid at Lowes is way too much. I got mine on sale at Harbor Freight for something like $4.50. I use it often. It is a carpenter's tool and is not quite good enough for precision woodworking. I have a set of machinist squares for that. It is, however, an excellent carpenter's tool. I would certainly buy another one if this one got damaged.

lowell holmes
02-02-2017, 9:29 AM
I wouldn't drive an hour to save $4.50.

Al Launier
02-02-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm a hobbyist woodworker and am critical of my work having been a Tool & Die Maker and a Machinist in my younger days. I'm constantly fighting off the urge for ultra precision in woodworking; too many variables that can affect the result, i.e. expansion/contraction from humdity, hardness/softness, surface finish, chipping/flaking, etc. Yet, one thing that became quickly obvious to me when working on small projects is that a 1/64" error shows up much more noticeably than on large projects, so there must be a compromise.
However, to pay $120 plus another $8 for shipping ( https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-Precision-Woodworking-Tools-1281R/dp/B004BFYLZK ) for this type of tool is totally unreasonable in my opinion. This level of quality in a layout tool to make workworking precise is inappropriate in woodworking by virtue of not being able to maintain this level of accuracy in the width of the layout line, or cut/mill to 0.001" from a layout line. This type of tool is not a substitute for quality craftmanship.

lowell holmes
02-02-2017, 1:52 PM
I agree, I would say the product is for a very select group of woodworkers,

I am considering making the square Christopher Schwarz make in his Pop Wood article published in December 2010.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/englishlayoutsquaredec2010_PWM.pdf

Check it out.

I made the square today without the embellishments. It is going to be one I use a lot. I did have to use my framing square to square it though. :)

Tony Wilkins
02-02-2017, 3:00 PM
I agree, I would say the product is for a very select group of woodworkers,

I am considering making the square Christopher Schwarz make in his Pop Wood article published in December 2010.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/englishlayoutsquaredec2010_PWM.pdf

Check it out.

I've been pondering building the English/Seaton try square he did on last years The Woodwright Shop.

Daniel Rode
02-02-2017, 3:18 PM
I have an aluminium Swanson Speed Square. Seems like I've had it forever. It's perfectly square despite being tossed around for 20+ years. Great carpentry tool. In the shop I occasionally use it for breaking down boards on the miter saw but more often than not, I use my 12" combo.

Stew Hagerty
02-02-2017, 3:30 PM
Some people are "Red" just like some people are "Green" (Woodpeckers/Festool).
I'm pretty Red. I have the 6", 8", 12", and 26" Try Squares. I also have their 6", 12", & 18" Triangles (Speed Squares), plus the Delve Square. Then there are the Rulers, Bevel Gauge & Angle Plate, Paolini Rules, Bench Rules, Saddle Squares, Straddle Squares, and the 24" T-Square. I also have a few other Red Items, but those are the ones I use the most. I like that they are extremely accurate, they are consistent from tool to tool, and they are Made in America.
I'm a collector. I'm addicted. I'm out of my mind. Whatever... I just know that I enjoy using them.
Oh, I do also have a Starrett 6" Combo Square and 4" Double Square that I keep in my pocket all the time.

Michael L. Martin
02-02-2017, 6:11 PM
Whatever... I just know that I enjoy using them.

^^^^^^^^ This ...... is what counts the most. A square can be used for much more than a line.

To each his own.

Stewie Simpson
02-02-2017, 6:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevd10tBV6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxcx6YKz54

Prashun Patel
02-02-2017, 8:22 PM
I have a few try and double squares. I have to say for my money I prefer a regular engineer's square. The Groz's I have seem to be plenty accurate for me (at least they're all as inaccurate as each other ;)). I reach for the double square when I have to make a shallow registration or if I need to use it as a scribing gauge or to measure with.

But there's something about the lack of a knob or any markings on the eng squares that makes me love them when simply striking square.