PDA

View Full Version : 16" Zefam Jointer Weight ?

John TenEyck
01-30-2017, 9:30 PM
Does anyone know the approximate weight of a 16" Zefam jointer, mid/late 80's vintage? I am going to help a friend move one and need to make sure my car is capable of towing the jointer + trailer. Thanks for any info.

John

Van Huskey
01-30-2017, 9:46 PM
Does anyone know the approximate weight of a 16" Zefam jointer, mid/late 80's vintage? I am going to help a friend move one and need to make sure my car is capable of towing the jointer + trailer. Thanks for any info.

John

I don't know a weight for that jointer but a 16" jointer of that general construction usually weighs in the 1600-1700 pound range.

David Kumm
01-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Zefam were as heavy a build as are out there. Polish if I remember right ( unlikely ). If it is old enough to have a cast iron base, it could go in the 2200 lb range. Might be less but prepare for over a ton. Dave

Van Huskey
01-30-2017, 11:42 PM
Zefam were as heavy a build as are out there. Polish if I remember right ( unlikely ). If it is old enough to have a cast iron base, it could go in the 2200 lb range. Might be less but prepare for over a ton. Dave

It is indeed Polish... I wasn't thinking it was old enough to have a full cast base, but I certainly could be wrong.

Larry Edgerton
01-31-2017, 7:10 AM
http://www.johngweber.com/jgw/spj/f1035.htm

Will be slightly less than this one, but not much. I have a couple of machines built by the same company in Poland, nice stuff. My shaper weighs 3300#.

David Kumm
01-31-2017, 8:26 AM
The Eastern block machines had very thick, heavily ribbed tables. When they went to a steel base, it was about 3/4" thick so err on the high side. I really like those machines. Bedged, Zefam, Fortis, Unitronix, Kirchfeld, maybe others. Dave

Darcy Warner
01-31-2017, 8:35 AM
The Eastern block machines had very thick, heavily ribbed tables. When they went to a steel base, it was about 3/4" thick so err on the high side. I really like those machines. Bedged, Zefam, Fortis, Unitronix, Kirchfeld, maybe others. Dave

It's unfortunate that these polish machines don't get the respect they deserve

Fortis and Gomad made some really nice, heavy, well built machines. They are just ugly.

John TenEyck
01-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the input so far. This one has a steel base, I think. The guy is going to weigh it today so we'll know, and I'll let you know. Sure is a good and heavy looking beast from the pics I've seen.

John

John TenEyck
02-01-2017, 10:07 PM
The seller weighed it and reported back it's 1620 lbs with the fence on it. Knowing that, I convinced my friend to have it shipped. The machine + trailer would be almost at the towing capacity of my car, and far above my comfort limit.

John

David Kumm
02-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Van wins. Even though it is a lightweight, you will love it. Dave

John TenEyck
02-02-2017, 8:40 PM
Not mine, but I'll get to use it any time my little MiniMax 14" is too small for the task.

John

Van Huskey
02-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Van wins. Even though it is a lightweight, you will love it. Dave

Blind squirrel with a blind guess, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket...