PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Laser Engraver / cutter

Natalie Atcheson
01-30-2017, 4:53 PM
Hello, I've been lurking the past few days trying to read through posts, and do my research in finding a good laser, however a few I have seen are approx around 2006 - 2008 - while I didn't want to create a redundant post, I didn't want to resurrect a decade old one either...

Quickly - I am a pyrography (woodburning artist) and just want to work on some different mediums and possible explore further options in laser engraving and cutting, etc. I'm doing my best to read and watch YouTube vids/tutorials about what is best for me, but there's so many options it's overwhelming... So, I'm not asking what the 'best one' is for me, but can any of you guys help guide me in the direction I need to go, or help translate the jargon I'm unfamiliar with? Guide me in terms of what range of machine/cost I'm looking at, that it needs to accomplish my tasks, and has support I can reach for repairs, etc.

Here's the best summation of what I'm wanting to do - as mentioned, I do pyrography and burn images to wood, I'd like the machine to do this automatically for some specific projects as well. So engrave photos, designs that I create, and other poems or quotes I've had customers request in my work as a pyrographer. Additionally, I'd like to be able to cut wood pieces into different shape designs for whatever project theme it may be, i.e, a guitar - I realize I'll be using thinner wood for this, perhaps my baltic birch plywood pieces could work. (This isn't as detrimental, I'd take better detail accuracy over cutting ability starting out if need to.) I'd love to be able to explore engraving on other materials as most list possible like plastic, acrylic, rubber, etc... From what I understand metal takes something a bit different? I'd like to, but I'm okay without that option. I'd rather a bigger space than some of the 12x8 areas, but I'm not certain my limitations here just yet, I'll take it for now if it means I'd have to pay several thousand more for 12x24 or such area space.
So, basically, something that can transfer my designs and detailed photos - and be used on various materials. My current budget is $2500, from what I've been researching I've seen a lot lower and a lot higher - I'm kind of all over the place on seeing prices, but I'm willing to save more, if needed.

Personally, I only know someone remotely that owns a Chinese one, she said it was a learning curve due to the instructions/software being hard to understand, if not, in Chinese. I don't know that that's a good option for me. I can learn software and apt in computer technology, but I'd really like something that doesn't make it harder than it has to be in learning a new process already.

I read Mr. Beam II is due out this year I believe, then I seen bad reviews about it... I'm not sure who to believe.
From what I think I understand thus far, I at least want a 50W machine... some say water cooling is good, some say it's not. Also, I've read something (sorry I can't remember the terminology right so bear with me) about particular arms are better than others... the type that hold the laser I believe... crap I'm sorry just forget that, lol ...
I like the idea of what Mr. Beam II has in terms of a camera that you can see to position your design specifically over the materials surface for exact position engraving... others may can do this? Please, I'd love to know if you are familiar with this.

I guess that's all the rambling I will do for now, sorry if it's hard to understand, I'm trying to learn. And hoping to purchase soon. Thank you for any suggestions or advice in advance.

Take care!

Gary Hair
01-30-2017, 6:20 PM
For $2,500 your only option is a Chinese machine. Now you just have to decide which one. They are all pretty much the same, some better, some worse. Keep reading here and you'll find plenty of recent threads about which Chinese machine to get, there is a new one about every other day.

John Lifer
01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Gary is right, you can't get anything except Chinese for that figure. But you can easily get a machine for that amount that is of a decent size. I have done a few pictures on ply and marble. but it is much more difficult I think due to it being a tube type machine and also software. I think that if you want to work with a new machine, spend a lot of time getting your settings right, it is good purchase. Just don't go through eBay

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:07 PM
For you budget look at a 50 to 60 watt Thunderlaser, or Rayfine laser in the 600x400 mm bed size.stay away from ebay repeat stay away from ebay. Get in touch with one of these companies and do a direct import. Might be a little more then your 2500 but save a few more bucks .

Natalie Atcheson
01-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Thanks - yeah I understand now... I have looked on eBay but, am not going to buy from there. From some of the research on the forums here I looked at ObjectLight.com and Automation Technology, which I think the latter may be best perhaps... A couple others seemed okay, but just above my budget, not sure if worth the difference on the first one I'm learning on... but they were from glowforge and boss laser.

This is one particular I'm looking at and comparing with others... should I add the 1 or 2 years parts replacements for USA?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine (http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine)

though not completely certain what the difference in between that and this:

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50w-co2-usb-laser-engraving-cutting-machine-engraver-cutter-woodworking

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:22 PM
That a pretty small bed and I'm sure their over stating the power. You'll get a much better machine and bigger bed more power doing a direct import.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:27 PM
Both of those look to be 8 or 900 dollar ebay machines that Auto tech just doubled the price on.Remeber They imported the machines Probably paid 4 to 600 for them and resell to you.

Thanks - yeah I understand now... I have looked on eBay but, am not going to buy from there. From some of the research on the forums here I looked at ObjectLight.com and Automation Technology, which I think the latter may be best perhaps... A couple others seemed okay, but just above my budget, not sure if worth the difference on the first one I'm learning on... but they were from glowforge and boss laser.

This is one particular I'm looking at and comparing with others... should I add the 1 or 2 years parts replacements for USA?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine (http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50wlasermachine)

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/50w-co2-usb-laser-engraving-cutting-machine-engraver-cutter-woodworking

Natalie Atcheson
01-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Oh... ok, I wasn't sure where to direct import from?

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:38 PM
another thing you don't want a 3000 chiller, it just keeps water at room temp. If your not going to be in full time production like running lasert 8 hr every day a 5 gallon bucket of water and ice to keep it cool works fine. I have 4 1 gal milk jugs 3/4 full of water in the freezer. I put a jug in the water bucket and it keeps my water around 60 to 65 when it gets over that I put in a new frozen jug. Been doing it this way for years.Now If I was going full time I'ds buy a c5000 of bigger chiller.

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:40 PM

look up Thunder Laser or Rayfine talk to their sales people in China they do this all the time
Maybe Dave Somers here in SMC will chime in he did his this way from Rayfine laser

Bert Kemp
01-30-2017, 11:41 PM

were R U loacated

Natalie Atcheson
01-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Okay, thanks for the info. Do I need autofocus? Or does that mean I'll have to adjust things manually? Sorry , I am working on trying to find somewhere to go view in person here around Atlanta.

Wilbur Harris
01-31-2017, 12:08 AM
Natalie...forget that 2500 bucks as it's just not enough to make you happy. Price a laser as big as you have the space for, 60 or 80 watts, motorized bed, 5000 chiller if 80 watts etc.... Then save the money to buy that one. You don't need autofocus.

Bert Kemp
01-31-2017, 12:53 AM
No You don't need auto focus waste of money

Okay, thanks for the info. Do I need autofocus? Or does that mean I'll have to adjust things manually? Sorry , I am working on trying to find somewhere to go view in person here around Atlanta.

David Somers
01-31-2017, 9:43 PM
Natalie....apologies. Am zooming this week so need to be brief. (people here will be shocked. Am rarely brief! <silly grin>)

I bought my 900x600 machine, 80watt EFR tube, from Ray Fine in China. Sales person was (and is) Blanca Yan. Email yanblanca@yahoo.com. Please tell her hi for me. Terrific sales person and often can help you directly with any tech questions you have. Email contact seems to work best. They are in their extended New Year holiday right now. Not sure how much more time they are out so be patient with first contact.

Bert's comment about chilling is correct. The CW3000 is basically a passive radiator. The CW 5000 is an active fridge unit. In Atlanta with your heat I would lean to that if you are going to do any length of work during the day. Otherwise for hobby stuff the CW3000 with a bucket and ice to assist it is OK. If you can....go for the 80watt EFR tube. Much better quality, longer life span, better beam quality, and the 80watt power is at the sweet spot between cutting and engraving. An 80watt EFR tube on a 600x400 bed would run you around $2100 with a CW5000 chiller. You will have to pay additional $$ for shipping. Their shipping gets it to a Chinese port (usually Quindow or Shanghai) and then there is shipping and customs from there. Blanca can help with that.

I would add in at lease 1 extra lens and a spare mirror set. Probably extra belts too. Very inexpensive to add on. Don't bother with autofocus, Don't buy a spare laser tube. Standard lens is a 2" lens. You might want to also order a 1.5" lens for really fine engraving/cutting, but you could wait and order that later if you want to see if you feel a need for it. Again, if you do order a 1.5" lens order an extra lens with it. I would also order an extra tube to go with it, and make sure you get a cone that is the right size for a 1.5" lens. They are shorter than the cone of a 2" or longer focal length lens. My preference is to have a tube set (tube and cone) for each lens size I use. That way each lens is mounted in it and I don't have to keep disassembling my only tube (and if needed the cone) to swap to a different lens. I do a lot of short runs and one off pieces though so this may be more of an issue for me than folks who do long production runs.

BTW. I do not get any consideration from Blanca or Ray Fine in any form. I am just passing on my good experience with them so far. I bought both a laser and a CNC from them.

You are welcome to email me if you want to talk more about this off line. Please be patient. This is a crazy week for me. Volunteering for a week long event and have company and a guest recovering from surgery. Email is d underscore somers at Hotmail dot com. Or just keep asking questions here. A number of us have bought from Ray Fine now and can help. Plus an amazing and gracious amount of information in lasering in general to take advantage. Read read read!! Older posts are not necessarily out of date. Not much has changed in lasers in the last few years except in fiber laser technology.

Hope that helps! Gotta run!

Dave

Keith Downing
01-31-2017, 10:21 PM
As others have said here, your budget just isn't going to get you there for a quality, 50-60 watt machine. Even if you could find a chinese laser you liked that was close to that price range, you still have other costs. Shipping, import taxes/fees, and there's always other costs setting everything up in your shop or workspace that add up (air compressor if you go that route, exhaust, hoses, clamps, even magnets).

I would recommend you do a little more research, determine what will make you happy (and successful) and then see if you can make the numbers work. I just don't feel like you'll be happy if you set a firm budget as low as $2,500 and just buy whatever you can for less than that.

Just my $.02.

Also, since it doesn't seem like anyone else laid it out for you explicitly, your options for purchasing a laser under $5,000-$10,000 are as follows:

1. Buy a VERY used US made laser such as a Trotec, ULS, or Epilog. Unfortunately, at your budget it will be a machine that is over 10 years old and probably only 30-45 Watt. The advantage to the US machines though is the speed. They are roughly 3-5 times faster rastering (engraving) wood. It adds up quickly if that is what you will be doing primarily.

2. Buy a Chinese laser from a US company. Many of us recommend going this route for your first purchase. Companies included in this category are Rabbit laser, Boss Laser, and there is another whose name is escaping me. The benefit here is that you have some minor US upgrades, US support from a real person, and in most cases a solid 1 or 2 year warranty. The downside, as I'm sure you've guessed, is these companies mark the machines up in exchange for the work they put in and the support/warranty they offer.

3. Buy a Chinese laser direct from a manufacturer in China. This is the most cost effective route to get a larger machine. However, you do have to put in some (possibly a lot) of time doing your research, working out the details of the order, dealing with customs, and waiting the 3-6 weeks for your machine to arrive. Support is actually better than it used to be with the reputable Chinese companies, but it is definitely different than having a company you can talk through issues with quickly and easily. I'm not going to go into specific Chinese manufacturers because there are a lot, and if that is the route you want to go others here have much more expertise than I do. And you'll want to do your research so you don't end up with a hunk of junk.

At the end of the day, no one can really tell you which route is right for you, but with a working budget of closer to $3,000-$5,000 you can start to consider all three options.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that makes you happy.

John Lifer
01-31-2017, 10:35 PM
Ill jump back in. 3k is about the very bottom of the costs. Ray fine machine 600x400 bed with 80 watt ever tube is $1900 plus a couple of hundred extra for a cw5000 cooler, add $200 for a rotary and $200 for extra lens,tube and mirrors. So about $2500. Shipping to your address is about the same as to Arkansas, come into New Orleans probably. Add $700 plus or minus a bit. That is the $3300k. Duty will be about $300 with broker fees. $3600 to your door.........

Clark Pace
01-31-2017, 10:57 PM
So I purchased one like that, but ended up not needing it, and also setup a laser for a local guy who bought one like that off of amazon.

The ones I got were not bad. Lasered quality was on par with other chinese lasers I have used. Small be yes, but that is all you may need. The tube is not that bad. It's not the tiny one that you get on the ebay $400 dollar lasers, it's better, and longer than those. It cut 1/4 just fine.

Dave Sheldrake
01-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Those two machines are Shenhui SH350D lasers. About $900 imported direct

Doug Fisher
02-01-2017, 12:20 AM
>>plus a couple of hundred extra for a cw5000 cooler<<

That is great pricing!

Jerome Stanek
02-01-2017, 7:55 AM
I have the Automation 60 watt LG500 and it works perfectly after I adjusted the mirrors. I cut 1/4 inch plexi all the time and it is going on 4 years now

John Lifer
02-01-2017, 2:00 PM
>>plus a couple of hundred extra for a cw5000 cooler<<

That is great pricing!
It surprised me also..... And is true S&A brand machine. Also their price on rotary is below eBay by a bit. I don't think you can do better by Chinese direct.
At least at this time.

Keith Downing
02-01-2017, 3:11 PM
It surprised me also..... And is true S&A brand machine. Also their price on rotary is below eBay by a bit. I don't think you can do better by Chinese direct.
At least at this time.

How are you handling the shipping? Or are you doing this with a machine order? I contacted S&A for a price list last year and they were great....EXCEPT for individual items they would only ship direct via DHL air....which ran roughly $300-400 to my location in the states. It was nearly twice as much as the machine cost.