PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Fusion 32 or Trotec Speedy 360

Timothy Howell
01-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Hi all,
We are getting to the point to where we are SERIOUSLY considering adding another laser to our shop. We currently own a Epilog Mini 24 40 watt. The two machines that we have boiled down to are the Epilog Fusion 32 75 or 120 watt, and the Trotec Speedy 360 100 or 120 watt. These two machines have the same size cutting area, which is why we settled on them. It seems to me the ol' "Epilog has the BEST service" argument isnt completely as valid as it used to be. I am really leaning Trotec, but i guess i just need someone to push me over the edge. Our main business at this point in time is glass. We wish to expand and offer more stuff...but cant when the machine is backed up with paying jobs. SO, the machine would have to hold it own in that aspect. Are the Trotecs that much faster than the Epilog machines? We do plan on attending a show that has both machines to see a direct comparison with one of our files.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TIA,
Timothy

Bill George
01-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Tim, my advice for the day. Instead of posting yet another question do some Searching on here. This has been discussed over and over again.

Here is the results of just one Search> https://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=www.sawmillcreek.org&q=trotec+vs+epilog+&submit.x=7&submit.y=8

Tim Bateson
01-30-2017, 1:20 PM
I had a similar decision a couple years ago. It's not really a true apples to apples comparison, but more like Granny Smith to Red Delicious. "My" conclusions were the Trotec was a better machine, but not by much. The final decision came down to 2 things for me. 1. Out the door cost (all things being fairly equal). 2. I was keeping my Mini24 & didn't want to deal with either the learning curve of a different machine and maintaining two different processes. Would the Trotec been better in some ways.. Yes. Would I make the same choice today.. Yes... sort of - For CO2 I would. For Fiber, I wouldn't look at either of these 2 manufacturers.

Timothy Howell
01-30-2017, 1:34 PM
I have looked at pretty much all of those threads. I am not looking for a Ëpilog vs Trotec debate. I am looking for anyone that has experience with these two particular machines. Please dont take that as snobby or rude...i to get frustrated when people beat a dead horse. I am just looking to absorb as much info as i can on these machines before i buy one.

Timothy Howell
01-30-2017, 1:39 PM
Mr. Bateson,
Thank you for your input. From the prelim numbers they are going to be pretty close price wise. I am wondering about the learning curve too. I was under the impression that the Epilog has a job control software that it ran through also...which is not how the Minis run. Am i completely off base with that statement? If so, are the Fusions and Minis operated the same way...as far as file drawn in software>send to machine to run? Or do you open the file in another software and then send to laser?

Robert Bonenfant
01-30-2017, 3:25 PM
Hey Tim,

My company decided to go with a trotec speedy 400 - a few things that made us take the leap are
1. Local office in Michigan (4 hours from us)
2. Sales rep got us a quote within an hour and was more than happy to answer any questions we can up with.
3. Ceramic laser tube (said to not loss power over time like glass tubes) - not sure about metal tubes
4. Had a ton of members with the 400 and 300 say they are great machines that last and run without problems.

Lastly, they offer a huge line of machines from speedys, fibers to there sp series. If our business keeps growing we don't want to be stuck to 2 ft x 3ft work area and trotec has a great line of large bed machines.

Hope this was helpful
Robert

Brian Leavitt
01-30-2017, 5:34 PM
I have a Fusion 40. I operate mine the same way you'd operate your Mini as far as getting the file to the machine to run. No Job Control-like software in the middle.

FWIW - next time we'll probably go with Trotec.

Tim Bateson
01-31-2017, 10:40 AM
... I was under the impression that the Epilog has a job control software that it ran through also...which is not how the Minis run. Am i completely off base with that statement? If so, are the Fusions and Minis operated the same way...as far as file drawn in software>send to machine to run? Or do you open the file in another software and then send to laser?

The Fusion has both options. You can use the Job Control or just like the Mini, send directly to the laser. I prefer direct for about 99% of the stuff I do. Since I do still use the Mini24 it's just setting up a second driver for the Fusion and everything else is pretty much the same. I will at times run both machines from the same Corel file at the same time. Send a job to the Mini24, swap the driver to Fusion and send the same job there too.