PDA

View Full Version : Opinons of The Woodbook?

Brian Hale
10-12-2005, 7:10 PM
I'm looking for a book to help identify various wood types and i found this $99 book at variuos retailers. Anyone have it?

Other suggestions?

Brian :)

Mitchell Garnett
10-12-2005, 7:45 PM
I am not familiar with that particular book but the price made me go look at it on Amazon. I did a search on bookfinder (www.bookfinder.com) and saw 2 used paperback copies for under $12 (shipping will be extra) in case you want to consider those.

I have Contstantine's Know Your Woods and Hoadley's Understanding Wood.

Mitchell Garnett
10-12-2005, 8:04 PM
I did a little more digging since the concept of the book is interesting. There are a few of the original Hough book sets listed on the internet but none are complete.

The whole set is 14 volumes with actual wood samples. In the few minutes of searching, I found one almost complete set (first 13 vols) for the bargain price of $36,000. Individual volumes seem to average around $4,000 each.

Steve Rowe
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
How about this one: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm
and can be downloaded for free :) - all 468 pages
Steve

Mark Singer
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
I have the "wood handbook" by Algrove publishing...it has done a very nice job collecting dust:confused:

Dan Larson
10-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I've got a copy of "A Guide to Useful Woods of the World". I like it. It has 2 page data sheets (with pictures) of 275 or so species of wood. Data sheets include various names for each type of wood, where the tree grows, what the tree looks like, how well the wood seasons and typical shrinkage during seasoning, specific gravity when dry, durability in outdoor environments, workability, uses, etc. I get a kick out of looking through the book and daydreaming about potential projects using some of the more exotic varieties of wood.

It might be worth thumbing through this book to see if it meets your needs. I recall seeing a copy at my local Woodcraft.

Dan

Glenn Clabo
10-13-2005, 7:56 AM
That is chock full of info...Thanks for the site Steve!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-13-2005, 8:17 AM
Steve, thanks for the link. I don't think I will get through all 468 pages, but it should be a good reference!

Steve Wargo
10-13-2005, 8:49 AM
I have the book and consider it a "coffee table" book. Nice to look though once, but other than that not as useful as I'd hoped. If you must purchase it try finding it at addall.com. It's a search engine for books that searches a ton of different vendors, and often has books used and in very good condition. I bought my copy used and paid $38 with shipping. At that cost I wasn't to upset with it being what I'd hoped.

Steve Wargo
10-13-2005, 8:52 AM
Now wait a minute... Are we talking about "The Wood Book" or "Wood as an engineering material"? I like the latter of the two very much and have referred to it on more than one instance.

Brian Hale
10-13-2005, 4:53 PM
Thanks for the link Steve! Thats a heck of a lot of information and a great resource :cool:

I was referring to "The Woodbook". Wood as an engineering material is the link that Steve Rowe posted a link to, correct? Or is there another one? :confused:

Mark, I've got several books that help keep dust off the shelves, if ya need some, let me know! :rolleyes:

Brian :)