PDA

View Full Version : Little moulder...

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 9:46 AM
Just bought a moulder, been looking and looking after I had to get rid of a nice P22 with accuset heads.

This is a bit of an upgrade over the 5 head P22 though.

Wadkin GA 6 head with a 7th universal head.

Lots of HP, the badge says 234 amps at 230v.

Have to go pick it up tomorrow, still trying to figure out how to unload it once I get it back to my shop.

Little bit too much for my 6k pound lift, think it weighs about 8 to 9 thousand pounds.

Sorry, can't get pictures to upload at the moment. Have to try later from my computer.

Charles Lent
01-29-2017, 11:24 AM
That Red Square on the floor around the sprinkler riser is there for a reason - to keep you aware not to put anything there. Your insurance inspector and landlord will not be happy if you block that area, even just a little bit and will make you move the machine when they see it. Move the machine a little forward now before it gets hooked up and you will be happier too by saving the need to change the hook-ups. Even a motor hanging out over the red square is a no-no.

Charley

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 11:26 AM
That Red Square on the floor around the sprinkler riser is there for a reason - to keep you aware not to put anything there. Your insurance inspector and landlord will not be happy if you block that area, even just a little bit and will make you move the machine when they see it. Move the machine a little forward now before it gets hooked up and you will be happier too by saving the need to change the hook-ups.

Charley

Its sitting in a giant event center where there was a woodworking and tool expo, including a huge auction with 6 rings. It makes me no difference where they sat it for the auction.

Jim Andrew
01-29-2017, 11:44 AM
How big is your electric panel? Far as unloading it, you need something BIG. I use my skidsteer to handle heavy things with forks, but don't think I could lift one end.

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 12:03 PM
How big is your electric panel? Far as unloading it, you need something BIG. I use my skidsteer to handle heavy things with forks, but don't think I could lift one end.

I have 400 amps of 480v.

My lift is good for about 6500 pounds, so I am bit short on that.

Andy Giddings
01-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Reminds me of the Wadkin multi-head moulder that I first encountered in the UK when I worked in a commercial woodshop for the Summer break - took up about half the shop, dust extraction pipes coming off of it resembled a large Octupus

Jeff Bartley
01-29-2017, 12:53 PM
In the third pic I see:
motor, motor, motor, motor.......MOTOR!

Tony Joyce
01-29-2017, 1:04 PM
If it's on a skip get it on a rollback. you can drag it off with your lift and push/pull it into position before removing the skip. You could lift one end of the skid and put a pipe under it to help maneuver it. I've jacked one end at a time to remove the skip, cut it out with a chain saw. There are flat spots under the center where you can lift or jack. The 234amp rating is full load on every motor, which is impossible to achieve. My Wadkin K23 was rated at 250amp and is wired to a 200amp breaker. Never had a problem. Good luck moving.

Mark Bolton
01-29-2017, 1:23 PM
Hilman rollers from your local rental shop and your lift should get you in business if you have to rig it yourself (once you get it on the ground). Whenever we've unloaded heavy loads at the shop we just call our local sunbelt and have them drop a machine capable of the task. We've always been able to rent a large enough lift, long forks, whatever, for 300-500 delivered and picked up. Super cheap in my book.

Nice molder, looks like a lot of work for me.

P.S., if you dont mind, what'd you get a molder like that for at auction? I can only imagine with the rust it had to be a screamer.

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 3:16 PM
It can sit on my trailer for a day or two until I figure out how I want to get it off.

Skates are of no use in my shop as the floor is not the best.

It was taken out of service about 7 months ago and stored in a unheated building.
It's just a little crusty and I couldn't really find any bed wear.

It set me back 400 bucks.

Mark Bolton
01-29-2017, 4:00 PM
$400 bucks! lordy may. Well below scrap value for sure. At that price I'd call in the rent ASAP to shuttle it into the shop. I wish we had more time for project machines like that but anything we buy has to hit the floor making money in a few hours. Super score if youve got the time.

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 4:05 PM
I just need to get it on the concrete pad outside my overhead door, it's too long to go in sideways.

Martin Wasner
01-29-2017, 5:25 PM
Check with a local millwright to get it in. It's not that heavy, but by the time you get done screwing around with renting something heavy enough to move it, or another lift, they might be able to get it slid into place for basically a wash.

Martin Wasner
01-29-2017, 5:26 PM
nice find too btw. Worst case you can scrap it and break even

Tony Joyce
01-29-2017, 6:53 PM
It should weigh less that 8,000. I picked up a 5 head GA with a 6,000lb forklift. It was max capacity for the lift.

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 7:49 PM
It should weigh less that 8,000. I picked up a 5 head GA with a 6,000lb forklift. It was max capacity for the lift.

That's like the only info I can't find. I will run it across the scales tomorrow when it's on the trailer.

Darcy Warner
01-29-2017, 7:55 PM
Check with a local millwright to get it in. It's not that heavy, but by the time you get done screwing around with renting something heavy enough to move it, or another lift, they might be able to get it slid into place for basically a wash.

I am usually the person that gets a call when someone needs to move something heavy locally.

Leo Graywacz
01-29-2017, 8:49 PM
You following me around Darcy?

Bryan Lisowski
01-29-2017, 9:23 PM
Darcy, you and about 99 guys and 100 cases of beer should get it in the building no problem.

Darcy Warner
01-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.
May be closer to 7k pounds.

Martin Wasner
01-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.

There's a video of a guy on the back of a forklift acting as a counter weight. The lift starts to tip anyways. Load starts to slip off the forks, dude on back slips under the wheels, load slips off, dude gets crushed.

Being close to weight makes me think of that. Not that you'd do it, just wanted to share my morbid thoughts.

Tony Joyce
01-30-2017, 12:31 PM

You probably already know the majority of the weight is on the motor side. If you can pick up the motor side to the back rest you may me able to lift it with your lift.

Darcy Warner
01-30-2017, 1:33 PM
There's a video of a guy on the back of a forklift acting as a counter weight. The lift starts to tip anyways. Load starts to slip off the forks, dude on back slips under the wheels, load slips off, dude gets crushed.

Being close to weight makes me think of that. Not that you'd do it, just wanted to share my morbid thoughts.

It's moved a Mattison 404 before, which is about 6400 pounds.

Darcy Warner
01-30-2017, 1:35 PM
You probably already know the majority of the weight is on the motor side. If you can pick up the motor side to the back rest you may me able to lift it with your lift.

I ran the truck and trailer over the scales today, 21,900.

I belive I am just under 15k empty.

Found a 8k pound lift that I forgot my buddy had.

Might wait until tomorrow to deal with it.

Darcy Warner
01-30-2017, 2:01 PM
After I chained it down, before I pulled out of the building.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/wconstructionco/20170130_092218_zpszbm0pewu.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/wconstructionco/media/20170130_092218_zpszbm0pewu.jpg.html)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/wconstructionco/20170130_092231_zpscjhawcgt.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/wconstructionco/media/20170130_092231_zpscjhawcgt.jpg.html)

Darcy Warner
01-31-2017, 2:25 PM
Got it sitting on the slab outside my shop door. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Martin Wasner
01-31-2017, 6:03 PM
Buckle up, big ol' thread drift.

Is it weird I'm jealous of your aluminum flatbed?

I'm going to have to buy a new pickup sometime in the next few years since the current pickup has almost 300k miles on it and is starting to look a little too redneck n' rusty for my clientele. I've been kicking around getting a cab and chassis and putting an flatbed on it. Do you find yourself missing the box? I've been thinking it'd be nice in the here and there scenario I can load a unit of lumber from the side.

Darcy Warner
01-31-2017, 6:42 PM
Buckle up, big ol' thread drift.

Is it weird I'm jealous of your aluminum flatbed?

I'm going to have to buy a new pickup sometime in the next few years since the current pickup has almost 300k miles on it and is starting to look a little too redneck n' rusty for my clientele. I've been kicking around getting a cab and chassis and putting an flatbed on it. Do you find yourself missing the box? I've been thinking it'd be nice in the here and there scenario I can load a unit of lumber from the side.

That is my uncle's truck and trailer. I needed a deck over for this plus he didn't care if it sat a few days as he doesn't use it much.
My main tow rig is my 1978 Chevy crew cab dually.

My next truck will be a crew cab with a 10 or 12 foot flatbed, that way I can sit something on it or hook up a gooseneck or my bumper pull.
I prefer a flatbed.

Darcy Warner
02-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Moulder is now inside my shop.

Nothing a bit of lumber, pipe, pallet jack and a little bit too small fork lift can't handle.

Darcy Warner
03-19-2017, 9:37 PM
Finally got moulder moved to its permanent location. Ran 100 feet of 2" EMT, got a 125a breaker, pulled wire and got it hooked up.

I have an issue with the top head starter, it does not want to pull in.

I will need to replace bearings in the first inside head and universal head soon.

Need to get my hustle on, I have about 6k feet of material to run in a few weeks.

Darcy Warner
03-20-2017, 7:43 PM
Quick video, first time all under power.
Top head starter still needs some repair.
https://youtu.be/xXp0FcxGPrI

That's 115 HP total.

Leo Graywacz
03-20-2017, 7:56 PM
Darn lucky you don't pay demand charges. Just starting that up would cost $125

Matt Day
03-20-2017, 7:58 PM
Wow, there is a lot going on there! Impressive you have it all figured out and can get all the parts working in synch.

Darcy Warner
03-20-2017, 8:07 PM
Darn lucky you don't pay demand charges. Just starting that up would cost $125

Not really, it's just 6 15hp motors and a 20hp, not like actually starting one 100hp motor.

Darcy Warner
04-09-2017, 2:06 PM
Well, the wadkin has a new companion. 1995 Weinig Hydramat 22al. 6 head, hydraulic feed, feed deck, grinder, heads, tooling, etc.
This is a jointed head moulder that will run 150 ft/min.

Ken Grant
04-09-2017, 2:21 PM
Man where do you find all this industrial equipment for sale? I must be shopping the wrong places. Seriously though, keep posting pics of what you bring home. It is fun to see all the tools!

Darcy Warner
04-09-2017, 2:37 PM
I can't give away all my secrets. They threw in a scmi t130 with sliding table and stock feeder.

They bought moulder new, at a cost of 159k.

Rick Fisher
04-09-2017, 2:42 PM
I think it needs more motors.. At least 2 more .. Just stick them anywhere :)

Justin Ludwig
04-09-2017, 6:18 PM
I can't give away all my secrets. They threw in a scmi t130 with sliding table and stock feeder.

They bought moulder new, at a cost of 159k.
Shut. Up. "hey, load this moulder and we'll give you a shaper and feeder to boot."

Did I mention: Shut. up.

Darcy Warner
04-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Oh boy.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/wconstructionco/20170417_185352_zpsvy6nj9tj.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/wconstructionco/media/20170417_185352_zpsvy6nj9tj.jpg.html)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/wconstructionco/20170417_185412_zpsoecagin8.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/wconstructionco/media/20170417_185412_zpsoecagin8.jpg.html)

Chris Hachet
04-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Good thing you don't have a basement shop...(just kidding).....VERY impressive!

Martin Wasner
04-18-2017, 12:22 PM
That's a beastie. Auto loader on the front end?

Darcy Warner
04-18-2017, 12:46 PM
That's a beastie. Auto loader on the front end?

Auto load deck, all hydrolic feed, jointed heads, runs a tick over 150' min.

Ken Grant
04-18-2017, 10:14 PM
How do those jointed heads work exactly? Do you have to get a special profiled jointing stone made for each profile? I would love to see some pics of how that works if you have any. As a side note, I have a jointing stone for my planer, and it its a little scary cranking that thing down onto a spinning cutterhead!

Darcy Warner
07-26-2017, 9:00 PM
Finally got around to finishing the wiring on the weinig and turned it on. I do need to order a rubber coupling for the feed pump motor, but everything is working as it should otherwise.
https://youtu.be/BxyPkTjZvfA

Mark Bolton
07-27-2017, 11:50 PM
I dont mean anything by this but can I ask why? Do you have jobs or contracts to run thousands of feet of moulding or are in an area where you can seize that market? I am in podunk USA and there are 5-6 shops that run sub 2k' orders all day long sanded and a large shop running tractor and trailer loads a week of the bread and butter (feeding lowes and home depot) that just installed a full scale finish line for primed and pre-finished.

Id be tickled to death to get to play around with that stuff but unless I was independently wealthy Im not sure (again in my area) I could be profitable.

Just interested is all.

Darcy Warner
07-28-2017, 10:03 AM
If you don't have it, you can't make it.
I have some stuff lined up to do, but you can't sell product without a way to make it.

John Sincerbeaux
07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Darcy,
i am truly impressed with your knowledge and ambition.
But from purely a business standpoint.... you bought this machine for $400 when it cost $159k new? Not so good for the owner! Why is it not still "producing product" "profit"?
Not trying to sound negative but if you were my son, I would say... show me your numbers again?
i truly hope your dreams are realized with this machine?

Mel Fulks
07-28-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm betting Darcy will be OK. He sounds like a guy who will run the moulder and make it pay for itself. Not an employee who is always asking for a NEW moulder.

Darcy Warner
07-28-2017, 1:05 PM
Darcy,
i am truly impressed with your knowledge and ambition.
But from purely a business standpoint.... you bought this machine for $400 when it cost $159k new? Not so good for the owner! Why is it not still "producing product" "profit"?
Not trying to sound negative but if you were my son, I would say... show me your numbers again?
i truly hope your dreams are realized with this machine?

I bought the Wadkin for 400 bucks, not sure what it cost new. The weinig was actually 200k new. I got a crate of spare heads, parts, grinder, knives, templates, etc. Cost me less than a good used shaper.

It came from a retail display fixture manufacturer. They bought it new, ran parts on it. Eventually they realized it was cheaper to outsource the parts and pay less skilled workers to assemble the parts. They needed the floor space back. Every business operates different.

The three jobs I have lined up will pay for the machine and what I have in setting it up and a couple small repairs.

Darcy Warner
07-28-2017, 1:07 PM
I'm betting Darcy will be OK. He sounds like a guy who will run the moulder and make it pay for itself. Not an employee who is always asking for a NEW moulder.

I know what the machine is worth, it is excellent condition and I will never loose money on it no matter how long I run it.

Martin Wasner
07-28-2017, 4:54 PM
6000' of moulding? What are you going to do with the other 23 hours and 10 minutes in the day?

Darcy Warner
07-28-2017, 5:43 PM
6000' of moulding? What are you going to do with the other 23 hours and 10 minutes in the day?

Sure I can find something to do. Lol

Mike Heidrick
07-28-2017, 7:36 PM
Just wanted to say congrats and i know the effort and cost to get big machines in place and powered up. My largest is still only half that weight. Very impressive. Mikie who is not a hater and only trying to be critical with my own shop.

Darcy Warner
07-28-2017, 8:25 PM
Just wanted to say congrats and i know the effort and cost to get big machines in place and powered up. My largest is still only half that weight. Very impressive. Mikie who is not a hater and only trying to be critical with my own shop.

Took 3 days to unhook and get machine ready to transport. Took two days to get it in place and mostly hooked up. I am easily side tracked and other machines and projects got in the way. The only reason I got back to it is because I had a company come to me either wanting me to run product for them or to purchase the machine. I was forced to finally get it all buttoned up. I did find that the spider in the KTR rotex coupled drive for the hydraulic feed pump had disintegrated and the cast iron couplings have been beaten to death. 900 bucks from weinig, sourced the part numbers from the manufacturer of the couplings, about 150 bucks from a local supplier. Need to have 3 hoses made, replace the last original ones on the machine.

Mark Bolton
07-29-2017, 3:16 PM
For sure wasnt saying they wouldnt be fun to have at ones disposal. And as I said, I was just thinking about my own situation with something like this. Preparing the molder blanks alone would be a monster. Im not positive but I want to say I think I remember the huge shop I was mentioning saying that they bring in their molder blanks (for the lowes and home depot/bread and butter stuff) rough dimensioned. The only op they do is resawong casing blanks on the diagonal to get two pieces of molding out of one. And they flat out wont run customs because its too costly and (time consuming) to re-tool for anything less than tens of thousands of feet.

Be great to watch the progress, sounds like youve already got a line on some long term contracts. With that scale of equipment Id be thinking, two young bucks (low pay), pre-prepped blanks, and Id be calling on every lumberyard in a 50 mile radius and start running colonial case and base, clamshell, etc.. But that's just be me.

Martin Wasner
07-29-2017, 6:53 PM
Better get yourself a gang rip to keep up with that thing. 70,000' per shift is a bit much for a single blade.

Dust collection too, yikes.

Darcy Warner
07-29-2017, 7:30 PM
Better get yourself a gang rip to keep up with that thing. 70,000' per shift is a bit much for a single blade.

Dust collection too, yikes.

Trying to get a 75hp kikakawa gang rip finished up. Down to arbor bearings and rebuilding the oil pump.

I have a 20hp bagger for the moulder for now, a 10hp for the slr, gang rip and planer. Tide me over until I get a big unit outside.

Martin Wasner
07-29-2017, 8:09 PM
Trying to get a 75hp kikakawa gang rip finished up. Down to arbor bearings and rebuilding the oil pump.

I have a 20hp bagger for the moulder for now, a 10hp for the slr, gang rip and planer. Tide me over until I get a big unit outside.

You're going to hate anything other than blowing chips into a trailer or 40 yd dumpster running that moulder wide open for long. If you're planning on doing much, I'd find someone who will pay you for your waste too.

It takes a MASSIVE airlock to keep up with a big moulder too. Bridging can be a nightmare when your moving that much material.

Darcy Warner
07-29-2017, 9:46 PM
You're going to hate anything other than blowing chips into a trailer or 40 yd dumpster running that moulder wide open for long. If you're planning on doing much, I'd find someone who will pay you for your waste too.

It takes a MASSIVE airlock to keep up with a big moulder too. Bridging can be a nightmare when your moving that much material.

I have a 40hp unit that I need to take down and set up.
Local place will run a semi trailer service for chips. Probably run it into a hopper, air lock to another blower that fills trailer. It's always something.

Michael Larson
10-01-2017, 1:48 PM
hey, can we see some pictures of your dc setup and how your making your blanks to feed this big boy? Do you have a wood grinder for all of the off fall from your slr or gang rip and how are you utilizing the bigger off fall?

very interested to hear more,

Mike

Darcy Warner
10-01-2017, 4:16 PM
hey, can we see some pictures of your dc setup and how your making your blanks to feed this big boy? Do you have a wood grinder for all of the off fall from your slr or gang rip and how are you utilizing the bigger off fall?

very interested to hear more,

Mike

No, no you cant.

Michael Larson
10-01-2017, 4:30 PM
Interesting, well I am glad you got it all up and running and your making money with it, and able to follow your dream of someday becoming a woodworker! Congratulations!

Michael Larson

Darcy Warner
10-01-2017, 5:17 PM
Interesting, well I am glad you got it all up and running and your making money with it, and able to follow your dream of someday becoming a woodworker! Congratulations!

Michael Larson

No need for you to worry about anything I do.

Michael Larson
10-01-2017, 5:40 PM
Not worried at all just congratulations, brother!