PDA

View Full Version : Hanging with Rich and milling some wood

Andrew Pitonyak
01-29-2017, 12:06 AM
I heard that our very own Rich Riddle would be in town today (Saturday, 1/28), and he was kind enough to stop by my shop. Chris Hatchet also stopped in with a load of 2" oak and some 1" maple in his VW; it was a site to behold.

After picking Rich's brain, my 8 year old daughter dragged us all out for pizza, well, my daughter and I ate pizza, Rich and Chris were more sensible and ate salad.

We are now trying to figure out when to migrate south a bit to see some of Rich's toys! :D

Our first task was to cut the maple into strips roughly 1.5" in width. That maple brought my saw stop to its knees. The blade would get about 12" into the cut and the wood simple stopped moving. It was almost impossible to get the wood out again. I have never worked wood so stressed in my life, not that I am a super experienced wood worker, but this was just strange. I tried to cut a few boards and it just did not work. That wood clamped back together and warped like crazy. This maple had tame looking grain but then acted crazy. It made me question my saw so I grabbed some scrap I had sitting around and sent that through with no problems. Chris kept saying something about "case hardened". I think I need to look that up. I have heard the term, and can vaguely recite what it means but I am seriously lacking on details.

So we moved on to the next task at hand... surfacing a bunch of 2" oak.

Neither of us own a planer, and it is a bunch, so we grabbed one of my planer sleds, used some shims, then sent it through my planer. This task is a bit slow.

Here are two pictures of the board before running it through the first time.

This next picture is also a before picture. Under the planer, you see a storage cabinet that I built to sit in the factory stand. I store things such as shims, saw blades, and chalk. It provides some nice extra storage. Yes, those are hand cut dovetails. In the far back on the left hand side, you see another little cabinet that I built to hold things such as hammers, screw drivers, saws, etc.; it works well for me.

Here, Chris is inspecting the results after a few passes. I use carbide tipped blades that I purchased from Holbren. For me, they work well and last a very long time. Chris was impressed at how nice the surface was.

Planing the second side parallel was a much faster process.

Chris wanted to joint the edge, but no jointer. I could not just drop it onto my table saw because the boards are too long in my cramped shop, so, I pulled out my Dewalt track saw. The process is as follows:

Place sacrificial styrofoam for construction purchased at a big box on the floor.
Place the wood on the styrofoam.
Place the track on the wood.
Adjust saw depth to just clear the bottom of the wood.
Attach hose from my Festool vacuum.

The dust collection is pretty good UNLESS you are cutting very close to the edge. In that case, you get sawdust everywhere. That saw had no trouble at all cutting through the 2" oak.

Matt Day
01-29-2017, 6:59 AM
Thanks for sharing. I like that outfeed support roller - what exactly is it?

How big is your cramped shop? If funds allow, time to get a jointer! You'll be much more productive rather than dealing with that sled. But, you are using it very well.

Rich Riddle
01-29-2017, 7:05 AM
Congratulations on getting your work done, but your other shop helper was more photogenic than Chris.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-31-2017, 2:58 PM
Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy at work and home....

That large green roller is my infeed, but it would be nice if I had an infeed and and outfeed.

http://www.general.ca/accessories/acc_universal/a_50-167S.html

It is made by General International and it works very well. I can fold that thing up so that it takes much less room than when it is extended.

Rich,

You are correct, our assistant was cute as heck.... And at age 8, she is full of energy.

After lugging those large boards around, my body / back was crying for mercy, so that young assistant of mine said "want me to walk on your back Daddy"? Which is really a ploy to stay up later either with the TV on or to have me read to her while she does it.

Brian Tymchak
01-31-2017, 4:14 PM
.. That maple brought my saw stop to its knees. The blade would get about 12" into the cut and the wood simple stopped moving. It was almost impossible to get the wood out again. I have never worked wood so stressed in my life, not that I am a super experienced wood worker, but this was just strange. I tried to cut a few boards and it just did not work. That wood clamped back together and warped like crazy. This maple had tame looking grain but then acted crazy. It made me question my saw so I grabbed some scrap I had sitting around and sent that through with no problems. Chris kept saying something about "case hardened". I think I need to look that up. I have heard the term, and can vaguely recite what it means but I am seriously lacking on details.

Yup, I would vote for "case hardened" as well. Whoever kilned the wood messed up and tried to dry it too fast. this creates a hardened dry"case" around a relatively moist center in the board. Not sure of the exact science, but when the case is cut the inequity of moisture content will make that board really move. I ran into some Ash like that when I built my workbench. It was unbelievable to watch the board move like that to clamp down on the splitter and back of the blade and bring it to a halt. (contractor saw - 1.5 HP). I ended up using wedges to hold the cut open to finish the cut.

Some of that Ash was unusable, it twisted so badly after cutting. Some was OK after a couple weeks of stack and sticker with weight.

Chris Hachet
01-31-2017, 5:32 PM
Yup, I would vote for "case hardened" as well. Whoever kilned the wood messed up and tried to dry it too fast. this creates a hardened dry"case" around a relatively moist center in the board. Not sure of the exact science, but when the case is cut the inequity of moisture content will make that board really move. I ran into some Ash like that when I built my workbench. It was unbelievable to watch the board move like that to clamp down on the splitter and back of the blade and bring it to a halt. (contractor saw - 1.5 HP). I ended up using wedges to hold the cut open to finish the cut.

Some of that Ash was unusable, it twisted so badly after cutting. Some was OK after a couple weeks of stack and sticker with weight.Either case hardened or probably just a lot of internal stress in the wood. As it is, methinks I may be using other wood as I was building door stiles with this and do not want them moving around after the project is complete.