PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for how to really scrub a floor (Magic Eraser pad for a ROS?)

Dan Friedrichs
01-28-2017, 7:10 PM
I have a glue-together laminate floor that is in fine shape, except it's got these tiny texture grooves that have accumulated lots of dirt, and I can't get it really clean. I've tried every commercial "floor cleaner" product, spent hours on my hands and knees with scrub brushes - it just doesn't get clean. The only thing I've found that works is melamine ("Magic Eraser") sponges, which actually do a tremendous job, but obviously scrubbing a whole floor with a little sponge is VERY tedious. It seems like the bristles of most scrub brushes are too large to get into these little groves, so brushing doesn't really help.

Any creative ideas on how to expedite this process? I tried attaching a melamine sponge to my Rotex, but the hook-and-loop doesn't quite bite. Melamine foam is just fine abrasive - maybe a buffing pad loaded with polishing compound?

For reference, here's a zoomed-in shot of the floor before cleaning (left) and after melamine sponge scrubbing (right).

Kev Williams
01-29-2017, 12:46 AM
First suggestion (which you may be doing), buy the HD brand erasers, they're half the price--

Second suggestion, the heavy duty 'actual' Magic Erasers DO last longer, maybe to the point of offsetting the cost, or at least changeover time--

Third suggestion, IF you have a good air compressor, pick up one of these from Harbor Freight-
Also pick up some double-sided tape. Lay three strips of tape end to end on the rubber sanding pad.
Now tape 3 erasers to it. Go to town :D
Yes these things only get 2 stars, because they can be finicky. I'm on my 3rd one (in 15 years)- these things like a little thin oil rather than typical air tool oil.
All of mine worked real well out of the box for several hours of use before the 'finicky' stuff starts (stalling out mostly). That's when I start with the oil.
But seriously, for $35, that's cheap...

They also use a ton of air. I have an 80 gallon compressor that keeps up pretty well. Smaller compressors may need to time to air up... but for what you're doing, it's worth waiting on the compressor ;)

Dan Friedrichs
01-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Haha - I love it, Kev! I was really hoping someone would be able to point me to some sort of melamine foam pad for a 5" sander (I guess I assumed something like that must exist for polishing high gloss finishes). I gave in, last night, though, and just scrubbed the whole thing by hand. I guess it only took about 3 hours and I'm not TOO sore, this morning...

Neil Gaskin
01-29-2017, 12:01 PM
There are floor cleaners specifically made for this. I do not know what they're called, or flooring contractors have one. You might check with your local rental yards or flooring companies.