PDA

View Full Version : Tool Cases

Herb Smith
01-28-2017, 6:28 PM
In an effort to throw out "junk", I noticed today that I have a lot of those plastic cases that hand tools come in. In my shop, most of these tools are located in drawers (sans case). Excluding keepers like Festool Systainers, what do you do with all of those plastic cases? Keep? Toss?

Mel Fulks
01-28-2017, 6:36 PM
I try ,mostly unsuccessfully, to give them away. I'm too cheap to throw them out. It's a problem

Wayne Lomman
01-28-2017, 6:42 PM
I keep tools in the cases. You can see at a glance that everything is in place and you put the case in the vehicle when going elsewhere to do a job. Cheers

Van Huskey
01-28-2017, 6:54 PM
The tools that come in nice containers (Festool/Mirka Systainer, Fein their case and Bosch LBoxx etc) I leave in those containers.

I keep the bags that tools come in like Dewalt sometimes does but repurpose them.

Blow molded containers I tend to toss and replace with Systainers, they just take up too much room, but I still like my tools to be organized.

Mel Fulks
01-28-2017, 6:57 PM
In commercial shops I don't think the boxes are a good idea. Sometimes the tool evaporates ...or something. But the box will often remain....if you can't get theives to take them no wonder you can't give them away!

George Werner
01-28-2017, 7:02 PM
Same as others here, if it's a blow molded case I pitch them and replace them with a Systainer.

Mark Gibney
01-28-2017, 7:07 PM
For tools I take to a job site I keep the containers. I can include collets and bits in with the router for instance. I also keep tools I house on open shelving in their cases, but 12 V screw guns I just keep in a drawer.

If I don't want the case it goes in the blue recycling bin, I think they are usually PVC.

jack duren
01-28-2017, 7:17 PM
I don't want systainers,ammo boxes,first aid or any other boxes in my shop anymore. Half the time I forget what is even in them. Nothing more than hoarding. I'm taking several of these to work Monday to see if the installer wants them.... I have a lot of router boxes eating space as well. Maybe they hit the door too

Ben Rivel
01-28-2017, 7:25 PM
I keep tools in their cases/systainers. I feel it keeps things more organized and helps keep my tools cleaner. In fact I really dont like tools that dont come with some sort of case.

mark mcfarlane
01-28-2017, 7:49 PM
It's interesting people like their Systainers. Do you have them in sysports or something similar, or on shelfs?

I find them kind of a PITA. I don't travel with my tools, and have 4 'stacks' of systainers about 30" tall each (3-4 systainers per stack) and am thinking of just building drawers, or a rolling toolbox, for the accessories and keeping the tools out on shelves next to the bench where they are faster to grab rather than bending over, opening a drawer, and moving crap around so I can, for example, get down to the actual router. Similarly, repacking something like the router sustainer or LR32 systainer is a PITA for me

John Jenkins4
01-28-2017, 7:57 PM
It's interesting people like their Systainers. Do you have them in sysports or something similar, or on shelfs?

I find them kind of a PITA. I don't travel with my tools, and have 4 'stacks' of systainers about 30" tall each (3-4 systainers per stack) and am thinking of just building drawers, or a rolling toolbox, for the accessories and keeping the tools out on shelves next to the bench where they are faster to grab rather than bending over, opening a drawer, and moving crap around so I can, for example, get down to the actual router. Similarly, repacking something like the router sustainer or LR32 systainer is a PITA for me

The systainer attraction continues to elude me. :confused:

jack duren
01-28-2017, 8:06 PM
The systainer attraction continues to elude me. :confused:

The price and name...

Jim Dwight
01-28-2017, 8:15 PM
I keep a few tools in the case they came in but usually I throw them away. I made a few custom cases a couple of which I still have and use. I made them to store the accessories with the tools. I like bags more and usually keep them - I have my fein multi-tool in the bag it came with and have accessories in there too, for instance. Most of my tools are on the wall or in drawers. Frequently used tools go on the wall - not in a case.

Von Bickley
01-28-2017, 8:22 PM
The only tools that I keep in their case are my nail guns. In the South, we have this small creature called a dirt dauber. They can stop up a nail gun real fast.

pat warner
01-28-2017, 8:30 PM
Planters, for herbs. Also good for worms.

roger wiegand
01-29-2017, 8:54 AM
I don't get the systainer thing either. I guess people must value them because they are so expensive. Mine went into the recycle bin along with all the other plastic boxes I had accumulated in the attic.

George Bokros
01-29-2017, 9:02 AM
I do not like the bags that DeWalt uses. I prefer hard cases like my Milwaukee tools and my Bosch jig saw came in. They are much more protective than bags and I usually do not travel with my tools.

Mike Cutler
01-29-2017, 9:19 AM
Planters, for herbs. Also good for worms.

Brilliant!!!

I tend to keep them also, sort of a hoarding thing. Some of them, the tool has long sense broken, and I still have them.:o
They're now starting to get in the way and take up valuable space, so it's time to get rid of them. I think the garbage man is going to get a few 12v DeWalt Drills. ;)

I sort of get the Systainer thing, but I too think that they are expensive for a plastic box. I do keep the tools that came with them, in them. It does keep them neat and orderly. If I was using them everyday, no way would I keep them in those boxes. Too much of a pain.

Jim Becker
01-29-2017, 9:32 AM
I have a pile of them in the storage area above my shop...and for the most part, they are on "the list" to get recycled as I continue to clean out and organize that space.

Charles Lent
01-29-2017, 12:21 PM
I keep all of my larger hand power tools in their original cases, to protect them and to keep their related parts together. It also helps keep the tools from getting banged up when taking them out of the shop to work, and again, keeping all of the pieces together is a bonus. My first purchase of a DeWalt DW618 router kit was a 2 base kit, but they were running a special and I got the D handled base free, but the case didn't contain as space for it. A couple of years later I asked the club members if someone had a 3 base case, and one member gave his to me free, except for shipping costs.

I have since bought a second DW618 three base router set (one for the shop and one for the road), and it came in a 3 base case. Last year another club member had a DW618 router with 2 bases, but no case, that he was selling for a good price, so I bought it from him and put it in the spare 2 base case that I had left from my first DW618. This router is destined for installation in my Hawk Router Shop, but I haven't installed it yet. I really like the DW618 routers. I use them more than any of the 11 other routers that I have.

Charley

al heitz
01-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Some are worthless; some not. I keep my small L-ion drill/driver, charger and batteries in the original case and have room to add several small plastic boxes with tips, nut drivers, pilot drills, extensions, etc. all together. I have three cases with a thin foam liner for "wrenches/sockets," "box planes/scrapers," and "chisels." They are all the same size, stand up side by side, and are labeled. Take up less space and easy to identify their contents. One or two of the larger odd-ball sized ones I have cut the dividers out and lined with foam sheets for when I have to grab-and-go and don't want to drag a heavy full-sized tool box. If I can't figure a use, they get pitched.

andy bessette
01-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Recently I repurposed one of those plastic tool cases to hold a newly purchased bore-scope type remote camera, which had been delivered in a cardboard box. Otherwise I have just let them accumulate, taking up badly needed storage space and gathering dust.

For transporting tools I prefer those bags that are sold by Duluth Trading; I can transport several tools in the space one of those plastic cases takes up.

Wayne Jolly
01-29-2017, 1:21 PM
I like to keep my tools in their original cases IF the case is designed well. They keep the tools cleaner, protects them from damage, keeps all of the accessories together, and they store nicely. One poorly designed case that comes to mind though, is the one my Milwaukee router kit (5616 I think) came in. That case is big enough to house three full router sets.

Wayne

glenn bradley
01-29-2017, 1:27 PM
You have obviously found better places for you to keep your tools. I too kept a bevy of fancy cases long after I had come to the realization that I don't do job-site work and don't need to carry my tools around in that manner. If I were a tradesman I would have a different set of priorities. I built drawer units into my machine stands designed to hold such things in space already being occupied but, poorly used.

After finding good homes for the more expensive and task specific cases, the rest went to the yard sale at a few bucks each. Those that did not sell at the yard sale (or get tossed in as deal sweeteners) went into the recycle bin.

The precious real estate I had been allowing these empty containers to suck up under the pretense that I might need them someday is now being more profitably used easing the crowding in the general work areas. The years since have been spent in a happier and less crowded work space.

Rick Potter
01-30-2017, 2:11 AM
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I have a bunch in my shed waiting to go to the Habitat ReStore. They will be happy to take them, and resell to someone.

I have a couple rectangular, soft Milwaukee drill cases that made nice first aid kits. I will hang on to any hard cases that are not blow molded for a certain tool...if it is open like a suitcase, I can partition with wood for special 'kits'.

Jim Becker
01-30-2017, 10:46 AM
I think one of the barriers to "enthusiastic use" of these plastic tool containers is their inconsistency in size and shape. That makes for less convenience when it comes to storage and access. This is something that Festool "did right" when they adopted the Tanos Systainer system. The cases "work together" in nice ways and (for a price) one can get additional units in a variety of configurations. They are portable for sure, but also "shop friendly". (Lee Valley carries a lot of options for Systainers if you want to browse the possibilities)

mark kosse
01-30-2017, 7:11 PM
If you take a multi tool to the molded inserts you can open them up inside. That said, I still haven't found much use for them.

Robert Parent
01-31-2017, 7:33 AM
Most of the cheapo blow molded cases end up in the trash. They are pretty useless as their 'fitted' insert seldom hold the original parts correctly let alone the additional one or two items that most every tool requires. The well made cases find a use holding something, usually items which need to stay together and are seldom used and not the original tool.

Robert

Bob Vaughan
01-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Portable power tool shop storage has been a challenge for me also. Factory containers are handy or a few seldom used tools, but those containers go on a shelf in a storage area not in the wood shop area.
For frequently used tools I'll make a storage stand under "bench top" machines since the area directly beneath would otherwise be wasted. Bench grinders are another type of tool that lends itself well to a storage box stand.
Below is what I did for a small 12" disk sander.

For air tools, I've made a rack for them that allows easy access. The rack is up high, but each tool can be retrieved by reaching up and grabbing the bottom of the tool. Some I may have to go up on my toes a little, but that kind of exercise isn't a deal killer for me as of yet.

Adam Herman
01-31-2017, 11:08 AM
i like the soft cases that Ridged supplies and have picked up a few extra here and there. a sharpie to the top and they are labeled. The blow molded ones are worthless. The only things I keep in them are tools used very little or borrowed out more than used. ex: my flooring nailer.

Wes Ramsey
01-31-2017, 2:47 PM
If you take a multi tool to the molded inserts you can open them up inside. That said, I still haven't found much use for them.

I've been thinking about doing just that and replacing the cutout with foam cut for a specific tool. Might be a handy way to carry hand planes or chisels. Or a 9mm.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-31-2017, 3:02 PM
What I do with these is highly dependent on....

How often I use the tool. If it is not often, then I keep the tool in the container unless it is an obscene waste of space, or, if I have a better place to store it (like in a drawer).
If the tool is not stored in the case, if I think I might sell the tool someday, then I put the case in storage. You get more money for tools in a case it seems.

mark kosse
01-31-2017, 8:44 PM
Howdy bob, are you like me, a 330 for each sanding grit? I see 3 of them in that drawer. Mine are in 100, 150, and 220. I built a box jointed cedar box for them that houses/carries all 3. The same with my 3 505's.

adios, mark

Mark Gibney
02-01-2017, 9:18 AM
Systainers stack on top of each other, of course, and so avoid the cabinet + drawer box + slides needed on a stack of drawers.

I only have a few but I like how I can stack them on the floor under my chop saw bench.

Sean Tracey
02-01-2017, 10:16 AM
I put all tool cases, including systainers, up in the attic. I wish you could buy Festool's in a cardboard box instead of having to pay for systainers.

For shop use, I can store a lot more tools in a drawer in far less space than a systainer. The ultimate waste is to build sysports which means you have to go thru all the work to build a drawer and then still waste all the space of a systainer. You slide the thing open and then you still have to open the systainer.

If you work mobile and in a shop, I guess I see that it allows you to grab the systainer, put it in a trailer or van to be able to fit everything and go.

Stacking them doesn't work in a shop either because you now have to dig through the stack to get to the tool you need.