PDA

View Full Version : Question about replacing drill press chuck

Damon McLaughlin
01-28-2017, 5:20 PM
I bought an old NTC 15" bench top drill press at a garage sale for ten dollars. It works great except that I can't tighten the chuck, seems that either the teeth are pretty well worn on the chuck and/or the key.

I've removed the chuck from the drill press, stamped on it is 13mm 1/2" JT6. If I buy a new chuck and key that is labeled as JT-6, 13mm 1/2" should it fit on the tapered spindle? The chuck I'm looking at is here (https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D2737-2-Inch-Taper-Drill/dp/B0000DD6H5/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485641068&sr=1-1&keywords=jt6+chuck). Is there any downside when considering a keyless chuck such as this one here (http://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3700-0215-Keyless-Drill-Chuck/dp/B00N412UZK/ref=sr_1_21?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485641068&sr=1-21&keywords=jt6%2Bchuck&th=1)? Or are there any other chucks I should consider (budget is modest).

Thanks,

David

Tom Blank
01-29-2017, 12:30 AM
I put a keyless chuck on my drill press. Probably have as much invested in the chuck as the machine cost way back when. The new chuck is great, so much quicker when changing bits and I never have to go looking for the key. I'd never trade back.

I think you are good with a matching JT6, but will leave that confirmation for an expert.

Tom

Damon McLaughlin
01-29-2017, 2:39 AM
Thank you for your input. I ordered a keyless chuck tonight, a Jt-6. If there's any problems with it fitting then at least I have the option to return it. Hope it works though.

Ole Anderson
01-29-2017, 6:33 PM
You should be good, JT6 is the Jacobs Taper taper compatibility you need.

Ronald Blue
01-29-2017, 7:00 PM
Is the taper made right on the end of the spindle or does it have a Morse taper adapter inserted into it? It's not a big deal either way but make sure both the chuck and spindle are clean and oil free and burr free too. If it's made on the spindle put a block of wood under the chuck and force it to seat tightly. You could also tap it with a non marring hammer. You have the correct chuck coming. Is NTC Northern Tool Company?

Damon McLaughlin
01-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Is the taper made right on the end of the spindle or does it have a Morse taper adapter inserted into it? It's not a big deal either way but make sure both the chuck and spindle are clean and oil free and burr free too. If it's made on the spindle put a block of wood under the chuck and force it to seat tightly. You could also tap it with a non marring hammer. You have the correct chuck coming. Is NTC Northern Tool Company?

Yes, NTC is the Northern Tool Company (Seattle WA). The model number is NTC-13 but it measures 7.5" from the column to the center of the spindle so I'm guessing that its a 15" drill press. I have the chuck off and the spindle cleaned up, the new chuck should be here tomorrow. I think the taper adapter is removable because on the label it states "Spindle JT# 2 1/2". Am I correct in thinking that this means the taper going into the drill press is the JT 2.5? I couldn't see any way to remove the taper adapter. On the chuck it is printed JT6 so I ordered a new JT6 chuck. Unless of course the wrong chuck was on the drill press to begin with... Your thoughts?

When I was using the drill the chuck seemed good, didn't twist on the spindle or anything like that. My big issue was that I couldn't tighten the chuck because the teeth were worn.

John K Jordan
01-31-2017, 2:23 PM
Yes, NTC is the Northern Tool Company (Seattle WA). The model number is NTC-13 but it measures 7.5" from the column to the center of the spindle so I'm guessing that its a 15" drill press. I have the chuck off and the spindle cleaned up, the new chuck should be here tomorrow. I think the taper adapter is removable because on the label it states "Spindle JT# 2 1/2". Am I correct in thinking that this means the taper going into the drill press is the JT 2.5? I couldn't see any way to remove the taper adapter. On the chuck it is printed JT6 so I ordered a new JT6 chuck. Unless of course the wrong chuck was on the drill press to begin with... Your thoughts?

Dave,

Hard to know without looking, but maybe yours doesn't have a removable spindle. This page has some explanation:
http://www.victornet.com/reference/Drill_Chuck_Mounting.html

I've never heard of a JT #2.5 taper. Maybe the label meant it was a JT #2 taper and a intended chuck capacity of 1/2". But the printed "JT6" is confusing unless the spindle IS removable. The Victornet page has the dimensions of the spindle for the various Jacobs tapers. Perhaps it has a JT2 in the drill press and JT6 for the chuck but you just can't get the spindle out of the drill press. Some need drift pins to drive them out, some can be driven out with a slotted taper, some may have to be driven out from above. But I wouldn't even try to remove it if the exposed spindle is in good shape and the new chuck fits. BTW, it is recommended to clean the spindle and the inside taper carefully then wipe with alcohol before mounting (I use a q-tip for the inside taper) then seat it by tapping with a wood block. For my drill press I just put the chuck on the spindle and pressed the end firmly into a wood block. It's been fine for years. It's amazing how well a taper holds.

I just put a spindle with an MT2 taper in a 3/4" keyless chuck yesterday for use in the tailstock of the wood and metal lathes. The keyless chucks are nice but I find them irritating with certain bits, those with three flats ground for the chuck jaws to bear against. With a keyed chuck the the body and jaws stay still so I can line up the flats as I tighten the jaws. On a keyless chuck the entire body and jaws rotate making it trickier to like up the ground flats with the jaws. For the lathe I usually mount the bits in the chuck then put it on the lathe. For the drill press it would just take some coordination, especially with smaller bits.

JKJ

Damon McLaughlin
01-31-2017, 3:27 PM
Thanks John, I'll be sure to clean everything before I put the chuck on. I did have to do some drilling and used the old chuck the best I could, you are correct, it doesn't take much with a block of wood to put it back on. I have a keyed chuck for the lathe that works well, I hope I don't get spoiled with a keyless chuck.