PDA

View Full Version : Festool Hose with sleeve - cheap home made version

Andy Giddings
01-28-2017, 5:14 PM
Like many users, I've always found the Festool hose and cable drags/catches on work surface corners. Not exactly a major issue, more of a minor pain. I didn't want to shell out $250 for the Festool sleeve, especially as I already had the hose/cable. After looking at the Felder Owners Group solutions and various recommendations, I went for home made. For those that are interested in the products I used, the sleeve was $28 for 25ft from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008JF8U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I used Uxcell Heat Shrink tube at each end of the hose to hold everything in place. This cost $5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJVQR7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to take the nozzles off the 27mm antistatic hose to complete the work but the end result is a smooth hose that slides easily over sharp corners without losing any flexibility. Cost is $33 total and takes about 30mins

Van Huskey
01-28-2017, 5:26 PM
https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving

Wire Care has more options and is cheaper, particularly if you have multiple hoses to cover.

Best thing you can do for any tools with detachable cords like Festool and Mirka. I have multiple hoses set up this way with different cords and hose sizes. I need to get around to putting Plug-It pigtails on my other tools that use dust collection.

Ben Rivel
01-28-2017, 6:13 PM
Yep, got the same done for my hoses/cords. Got the material cheaper than that though. Look around, there are less expensive sources. Its just TechFlex and heatshrink.

Len Rosenberg
01-28-2017, 6:16 PM
I've been looking to do this as well. Van, the link you gave goes to a page with many options. Is there one of those that you've used and recommend? Some look very similar to the braided sleeve that Andy used.

Thanks,

Len

Mike Henderson
01-28-2017, 6:22 PM
Great idea - thanks for posting.

Mike

Van Huskey
01-28-2017, 6:25 PM
I've been looking to do this as well. Van, the link you gave goes to a page with many options. Is there one of those that you've used and recommend? Some look very similar to the braided sleeve that Andy used.

Thanks,

Len

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/general-purpose/flexo-pet

This is just the standard Flexo-PET and is what most everyone uses and what is sold by sellers like the one on Amazon and Toolnut, some are a different companies product but the basic stuff is all pretty much the same. Wire Care also sells the shrink wrap as well.

Andy Giddings
01-28-2017, 6:59 PM
Thanks for posting the alternate cheaper sources. There are plenty of options as evidenced by the replys. The thing to watch for is it doesn't change the flex of the hose - which some sleeves do

Jim Becker
01-29-2017, 9:41 AM
The sleeve that Andy links to comes up at $14 for me with Prime shipping. :)

I just ordered the sleeve and the heat shrink...the price was right... $0 with AMEX points. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime now, so thanks the posting this thread!

Dick Mahany
01-29-2017, 11:56 AM
The thing to watch for is it doesn't change the flex of the hose - which some sleeves do

Very true. I used TechFlex 1-3/4" Gorilla sleeve to pair a tracksaw plug-it cord with a Festool 36mm non-antistatic hose. While it certainly does a good job of helping eliminate snags, it has made the vac hose far less flexible. The combination really exhibits a sort of memory when I unroll it and has a preferred orientation depending on whether I am using it suspended from overhead vs. directly on the floor. I'm sure I sacrificed flexibility for abrasion resistance somewhere along the line.

David T gray
01-29-2017, 12:02 PM
i use Velcro ties.

Andy Giddings
01-29-2017, 12:28 PM

I just ordered the sleeve and the heat shrink...the price was right... $0 with AMEX points. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime now, so thanks the posting this thread!

Price drop on Aisle 10 :-) Must have just missed that - oh well

Van Huskey
01-29-2017, 2:37 PM
Very true. I used TechFlex 1-3/4" Gorilla sleeve to pair a tracksaw plug-it cord with a Festool 36mm non-antistatic hose. While it certainly does a good job of helping eliminate snags, it has made the vac hose far less flexible.

This is a case where cheaper is actually better. Some of the higher quality more abrasion resistant versions like Gorilla Sleeve indeed reduce the flexibility of the hose, the bigger the hose the worse it gets.

Alan Lightstone
03-08-2017, 9:48 PM
Andy:

Thanks for reminding me to do this. On another thread, about three years ago, I first read about doing this, and I bought the sleeve and heat shrink tubing. And it's sat next to my SCMS for three years, untouched.

So you motivated me, and I put it together. Took a half hour, if that, and works great.

Andy Giddings
03-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Glad it worked out, Alan - although, like you, I was motivated by other threads and the high cost of the genuine Festool article.

Brad Lard
03-09-2017, 10:27 AM
I have what perhaps may turn out to be a really dumb question, but... So, i have a number of Festool tools and of course some have cords with different plug. I haven't stopped to figure out how many different ones there are but I suspect 2 or 3. So, how do folks who've used the sleeve deal with having a different cord/plug to use from time to time. Multiple hoses/sleeves to accommodate the variety of cords/plugs? Insert multiple cords in the sleeve?

Ben Rivel
03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I have what perhaps may turn out to be a really dumb question, but... So, i have a number of Festool tools and of course some have cords with different plug. I haven't stopped to figure out how many different ones there are but I suspect 2 or 3. So, how do folks who've used the sleeve deal with having a different cord/plug to use from time to time. Multiple hoses/sleeves to accommodate the variety of cords/plugs? Insert multiple cords in the sleeve?The heavier gauge plug-it cord should work with all Festool tools. Its only the smaller gauge one that wont worth with the tools that come with the larger one.

Alan Lightstone
03-09-2017, 11:39 AM
That's correct. Just place the larger gauge plug-in-cord in the sleeve, and you'll never think about which cord to use again.

Van Huskey
03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I have what perhaps may turn out to be a really dumb question, but... So, i have a number of Festool tools and of course some have cords with different plug. I haven't stopped to figure out how many different ones there are but I suspect 2 or 3. So, how do folks who've used the sleeve deal with having a different cord/plug to use from time to time. Multiple hoses/sleeves to accommodate the variety of cords/plugs? Insert multiple cords in the sleeve?

All Festool tools with detachable Plug Its come with either a 16ga or 18ga Plug It. The 16ga will fit all tools (the 18ga won't) so I use 16ga Plug Its for all my hose/cord combos. I have both a 27mm and 36mm hose with 16ga cords connected to them, it is odd but I have gotten 16ga cords with tools that should have come with an 18ga cord. I also have a second 27mm hose with a Mirka cord. At some point I will probably do another 27 and 36mm hose setup but just haven't gotten around to it.

Chris Padilla
03-09-2017, 1:16 PM
Timely thread. I've been meaning to do something about my "catch on everything" Festool hose. However, I have a much more annoying problem with mine right now.

The thing disconnects really easily. I can fix it temporarily by inserting the right sized socket and spreading the "tangs" but it doesn't last very long.

Van Huskey
03-09-2017, 2:09 PM
Timely thread. I've been meaning to do something about my "catch on everything" Festool hose. However, I have a much more annoying problem with mine right now.

The thing disconnects really easily. I can fix it temporarily by inserting the right sized socket and spreading the "tangs" but it doesn't last very long.

Just change the hose end.

They have a new bayonet locking system for the hoses now, it debuted on the Cleantec hoses. The only tools I have with the mating end are my Pro 5s though the end works for all tools it only locks onto the ones with the new system. The Pro 5s came with a replacement locking end for the 27mm hose and it seems tighter on the old tools than the original ends, but it just may be the original ends I have are worn. In the UK they have a program here they will change the tool end to mate the locking hose end, but it is only for some tools and isn't cheap, like 50 pounds (~$62).

Chris Padilla
03-09-2017, 2:19 PM
Can I just buy a new hose end? I haven't even tried looking. Maybe someone slightly less lazy than me can post the parts? :D

Chris Padilla
03-09-2017, 2:26 PM

I just ordered the sleeve and the heat shrink...the price was right... $0 with AMEX points. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime now, so thanks the posting this thread!Hmmm, mine was $19 but I'll have it by Saturday. :)

Van Huskey
03-09-2017, 2:29 PM
Can I just buy a new hose end? I haven't even tried looking. Maybe someone slightly less lazy than me can post the parts? :D

It is Festool, of course you can buy parts. I think the part number is 500582 for 27mm hoses (that is what I have in my spare parts "note book") but I would double check ekat or just call and order and tell them what you want. IIRC you have to buy 2 and they were about $20.

Chris, PM me and I will send you one of the new bayonet ends for 27mm hoses, I have 4 and the newest hoses I bought already have them so I don't need them all.

Chris Padilla
03-09-2017, 2:45 PM

Looks like your memory is intact, Van! :)

Doh, just saw your edit. PM sent!! :D

Brad Lard
03-09-2017, 3:04 PM
Ok that makes sense. I never had the curiosity to try one plug in a different tool - who knows whether i've actually been doing that and not even known it.

On another point, what size flex have you used for the 27 and 36mm hose. One imp. size down from the 27/36mm equivalent? I'm not sure how stretchy those things are.

Alan Lightstone
03-09-2017, 3:32 PM
Not sure what size I had, but it was VERY stretchy. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the answer.

Ben Rivel
03-09-2017, 3:43 PM
They are also releasing updated hose connections for many of their power tools as well. So far I have heard the TS 55 and Domino for sure, but Im sure there will be more.

Van Huskey
03-09-2017, 4:02 PM
On another point, what size flex have you used for the 27 and 36mm hose. One imp. size down from the 27/36mm equivalent? I'm not sure how stretchy those things are.

As Alan says it expands a LOT. I use 1 1/2" on both 27 and 36mm hose at least the Flexo PET from Wirecare.

mark mcfarlane
03-12-2017, 6:56 PM
Hmmm, mine was $19 but I'll have it by Saturday. :)

Was that the Amazon price? It's $28 for me today. https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-1-1-Clean-Sleeving-Black/dp/B0008JF8U0/

Jim Becker
03-13-2017, 7:58 PM
Mark, the sleeve price jumps around on Amazon depending on the "vendor du jour" it seems. I first ordered it for $14, but that order turned out to not be deliverable. I reordered for a bit more (I don't remember the cost) and got it in two days.

mark mcfarlane
03-13-2017, 9:33 PM

Thanks Jim. Looks like it may be back at $14 in a few days.... I set an alert on it.

Mike Henderson
03-13-2017, 10:53 PM
I took Andy's advice and put the flex hose on my Festool hose. Really helps - it doesn't catch on the ribs any more, which especially was a problem when using the track saw.

Mike

Roy Turbett
03-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Great tip. Installed it on my Festool vac this week and it works great. I didn't leave myself enough cord the first time through and had to remove the shrink wrap to adjust it. I ended up just using electric tape to hold everything in place.

Van Huskey
03-13-2017, 11:24 PM
I didn't leave myself enough cord the first time through and had to remove the shrink wrap to adjust it. I ended up just using electric tape to hold everything in place.

I would suggest hen doing the first hose tape the cord to the end and check all you tools to ensure you are comfortable with the length of cord coming out. I think I settled on about 6" past heatshrink but you may want more or less.

If you are doing one hose and don't mind black the Amazon option is a one stop shop. I have been color coding my hoses with different colors of Flexo PET and use black and green for Festool with different colored heatshrink for the different sized hoses, then use black and yellow for my Mirka corded hose and use a third color for an "extension" hose which has an extension cord in it to extend either "brand". Wirecare.com has a huge array of colors and sizes of both the standard Flexo PET and heat shrink.

The Flexo Pet is not only good for a coaxial cord/hose setup but will keep just a vac hose from catching on everything in sight.

While I have not implemented it yet I embedded magnets at the shrink wrap by using a second wrap of shrink wrap (to hold them) so I can hang them on a strip of metal on the wall.

Andy Giddings
03-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Glad that this is helping people with the clunky Festool hose - however, credit where it's due, this tip came originally from the Festool Owners Group and I simply noted down how it worked out for me

Chris Padilla
03-29-2017, 6:32 PM
Meant to reply back to this thread that I did change the hose end as Van suggested and no more hose disconnect. The newer design is a lot better and I honestly don't see how it would ever disconnect again. I also did the sleeve/heatshrink over the hose/cord combo and it is working out very nicely! Makes such a huge difference.

Alan Lightstone
03-29-2017, 7:45 PM
Somehow the hose and the cord are much more annoying now when vacuuming. I use velcro to hold the cord end, but it's still somehow annoying. Works great with tools, though.