PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck gasket material

Trevor Mills
01-28-2017, 10:52 AM
What's a good cheap substitute for the neoprene packs Oneway sells for their vacuum drums? is neoprene the best material?

Dwight Rutherford
01-28-2017, 11:40 AM
I buy closed cell foam on Amazon. Works well.

Dick Mahany
01-28-2017, 12:28 PM
My favorite material is closed cell foam that I steal from my wife's scrapbooking supplies in 8.5 x 11" sheets. It works well and is inexpensive from Michael's or Hobby Lobby type craft stores. I think a possible limitation may be that those sheets are relatively thin, so they may be a limiting factor if one needs to bridge a large gap for a seal.

Sid Matheny
01-28-2017, 12:41 PM
I got packs of closed cell foam sheets at Wal-mart in the craft dept. Works great for me.

Dave huber
01-28-2017, 5:14 PM
Amazon has lots of choices. Most available for prime.

does anyone have advice for what to use on the face of a 14" - 16" or so vacuum faceplate?
buying a whole roll of foam seems like a waste, but I don't think splicing sheets together will do.
can anyone think of something I could paint on?

perhaps thicker foam would seal across a splice.
what does experience teach those that have figured it out?

Steve Nix
01-28-2017, 6:58 PM
I spliced two and have had no problem, so far. I've used it twice.

Gary Baler
01-28-2017, 7:43 PM
I use the foam and then cover that with a piece of leather from an old chair that was worn out. The foam often leaves a mark on the finish. The leather will eliminate that.

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2017, 11:02 PM
I have no experience with the product but Rubber Chucky makes silicon covers for the OneWay drums - $50 for a set of three sizes. Not cheap but supposed to last long.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
I use closed cell packing material - the kind you get in a shipment from Amazon, UPS or Fedex. It is thin, works great and I like the price.

Dave huber
01-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice!!
dave

Larry Copas
01-29-2017, 9:53 PM
Vinyl shelf paper from Lowes. Cut your rings out and stick em on with contact cement.

I make my vacuum chucks from wood but similar to the Oneway drums. I learned the vinyl shelf paper trick from David Ellsworth....he says it lasts longer than anything. He did not disappoint me.

Thomas Canfield
01-29-2017, 10:02 PM
I saw the adhesive back foam sheets (1/8" thick) from WalMart, Craft Supply, etc used on chuck at SWAT. They had cut an oversize disk and wrapped the excess over the rim and taped the edge to chuck with masking tape to give better adherence. I now used that method over just the adhesive back. I also saw last week a friend had used the 1/4" thick foam available using spray adhesive for his chuck. I did purchase a roll of adhesive back foam from McMaster Carr about 8 years back that works well, but foam is a lower density. Lots of options out there.

Tom Giacomo
01-29-2017, 11:25 PM
I used one of those interlocking floor mats from Harbor Freight, they are about three eights to half inch thick and are closed foam. If you want a thick gasket.

Peter Fabricius
01-30-2017, 9:10 PM
I just make my own vacuum Chuck silicone seals and they have given me stellar service for many years. My Vacuum Chucks are made with a wood base, threaded to fit my spindle 1 1/4" x 8 tip, and varying sizes of ABS plumbing pipe.
3", 2.5" and 1.5" pipes.

Jack Lilley
02-01-2017, 5:09 PM
Backer rod for chinking log homes works well. It is round, available in different sizes, closed cell and is on a continuous roll.

Olaf Vogel
02-01-2017, 5:31 PM
Amazon has lots of choices. Most available for prime.

does anyone have advice for what to use on the face of a 14" - 16" or so vacuum faceplate?

old yoga matts.
:)

BTW - I frequently have issues when responding. I can’t type spaces…
Does anyone else have this?

It happens consistently on this board, but nowhere else. Weird

Bruce Page
02-01-2017, 6:20 PM
Olaf, when responding try clicking on Reply and then the Go Advanced button at the bottom right, and then typing your reply.

Darryl Hansen
02-01-2017, 6:33 PM
I use "Foamies" in 24 x24" or maybe they are 18" sheets. they come in 1/16 or 1/8 and 1.4 inch thickness. They come in different colors and I find that the oranges do tends to leave color on some woods.

Glen Blanchard
02-01-2017, 7:43 PM
I just make my own vacuum Chuck silicone seals and they have given me stellar service for many years. My Vacuum Chucks are made with a wood base, threaded to fit my spindle 1 1/4" x 8 tip, and varying sizes of ABS plumbing pipe.
3", 2.5" and 1.5" pipes.

Peter - Those silicone seals look great. Where do you get them?

Mike Goetzke
02-01-2017, 9:57 PM
BTW - I frequently have issues when responding. I can’t type spaces…
Does anyone else have this?

It happens consistently on this board, but nowhere else. Weird

I thought it was just me - I found if you respond with text above the "quote" spaces work fine. (Ha - spaces just worked now and I typed after the quote)

Mike

Peter Fabricius
02-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Peter - Those silicone seals look great. Where do you get them?

Hi Glen, I make these myself.
Peter F.

Glen Blanchard
02-01-2017, 11:42 PM
Hi Glen, I make these myself.
Peter F.

Now you have me thinking. Would it not be possible to create a mold, fill it with silicone caulk, remove the ring after it sets up, and transfer it to the vacuum chuck? Do you do something similar to this to create your silicone rings?

Dwight Rutherford
02-02-2017, 11:56 AM
There was an article in "American Woodturner" some time back that described how to make vaccum seals with "Ogoo".