PDA

View Full Version : Cherry drawer sides?

Roger Marty
01-28-2017, 8:45 AM
I'm working on a dresser. I'm planning a cherry carcass with curly maple drawer faces. Has anyone seen drawer sides made of cherry? I usually always use maple, but since I'm using maple faces I wouldn't get the nice contrast against the dovetails.

I know maple-on-maple slides really well. I assume cherry is hard enough to work well with wood slides.

Gene Davis
01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Consider red oak, if you gotta have contrast. Cherry is way too soft for drawer sides that slide on wood bearers. Northern hard maple would be best, for both the sides and the web frame parts on which they'll slide.

Jim Becker
01-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'd have no issue using cherry for drawer sides and in fact, used them for my recent buffet/hutch project.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/Furniture/Buffet-Hutch/IMG_7337_zpsmirpkm8b.jpg

Joe Kieve
01-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Why waste beautiful cherry on parts that will only be seen occasionally? Save it for drawer fronts, tops, etc. and use maple or oak for the sides.
Just my 2 cents ('cause I love cherry).

Leo Graywacz
01-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Sure, why not. It's just wood.

Jim Becker
01-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Why waste beautiful cherry on parts that will only be seen occasionally? Save it for drawer fronts, tops, etc. and use maple or oak for the sides.
Just my 2 cents ('cause I love cherry).

I don't use "really good" cherry for that kind of thing, but I also don't waste any wood that's useable. The drawer sides for the two drawers in the unit I pictured employ cherry that wasn't "good enough" for for major show components, but perfect for matching the beautiful cherry top of the unit. This is a very subjective thing, of course, but for me, it's in no way a "waste" of cherry. Quite the opposite. :)

John TenEyck
01-28-2017, 1:03 PM
I've seen several of C. Becksvoort's pieces with cherry drawer sides. He must think it's OK.

John

Roger Marty
01-28-2017, 8:55 PM
How does aromatic cedar work for drawer box material on maple runners?

Jim Becker
01-29-2017, 9:27 AM
How does aromatic cedar work for drawer box material on maple runners?

Since cedar is truly a soft material, it's going to wear easily. It may be better to use a stronger material for the actual drawer box and line it with a "thick veneer" of the aromatic cedar if you need the cedar for insect control.

Reinis Kanders
01-29-2017, 2:34 PM
Nice looking drawers! I like the beading, did you route it?

Personally, I'd have no issue using cherry for drawer sides and in fact, used them for my recent buffet/hutch project.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/Furniture/Buffet-Hutch/IMG_7337_zpsmirpkm8b.jpg

lowell holmes
01-29-2017, 3:26 PM
Do what you want to do. If it doesn't work out, you can change it. How many times will the drawers be used?

Jim Becker
01-29-2017, 6:45 PM
Nice looking drawers! I like the beading, did you route it?
Yes, there is a build thread in the Woodworking Projects forum area.

Ron Citerone
02-03-2017, 8:39 PM
I don't use "really good" cherry for that kind of thing, but I also don't waste any wood that's useable. The drawer sides for the two drawers in the unit I pictured employ cherry that wasn't "good enough" for for major show components, but perfect for matching the beautiful cherry top of the unit. This is a very subjective thing, of course, but for me, it's in no way a "waste" of cherry. Quite the opposite. :)

What JB said X 2

Marty Schlosser
02-04-2017, 8:59 AM
Wood on wood runners of every design - whether the bottom slides on the drawer framing, or there's dadoes machined into the sides, or, whatever - will wear to a greater or lesser extent depending on the wood species you use.

You can help limit such wear by glueing on a strip of UHMW tape to one of the bearing surfaces: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32182&cat=1,110,43466,32182

Jim Becker
02-04-2017, 11:16 AM
I wish we had a "like" button for what Marty just mentioned. While my preference would to not use "wood on wood" drawer runners for "frequently used" cabinetry or furniture, if there's a concern with wear, that thin UHMW can really do a nice job to "give the look and feel" while mitigating wear and sticking.

Reinis Kanders
02-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes, there is a build thread in the Woodworking Projects forum area.

Thanks. I found it. Nice build. Here is a link if anyone else wants to look.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241330-Project-Buffet-Hutch-Completed

Robert Engel
02-04-2017, 7:52 PM
Only if its low grade wood, other than that you will be in violation of rule WW.1.0.10, subsection 2. :D