PDA

View Full Version : What is it????????????

Bill Stuewe
01-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Sorry for no picture but today at an estate sale I picked up a lathe tool. It has a very large custom handle, about 30 inches, and the shank is 3/4" round and 11 1/2" long The tip has a slight taper and is hollow with a 3/8" Dia. x 1" deep hole for he insert tip. There is a through hole for a set screw to hold the cutter in. I have the Oneway Termite and this is just like it but MUCH bigger--the set screw threads are the same as my Termite but the 3/8" hole is much too large for my Termite tips.. I cannot find a larger version of the Termite on the web. Anyway, there are no cutters with this thing and so it is useless unless I can figure out who makes it and order a cutter. Any Ideas?

Sid Matheny
01-28-2017, 12:19 AM
Sounds like an Oland tool. A lot of us have made our own. Just my guess.

Hayes Rutherford
01-28-2017, 8:56 AM
Sounds like a Texas Toothpick or a version of.

Roger Chandler
01-28-2017, 9:06 AM
I would agree that it is likely some sort of boring bar [a.k.a. Oland tool], albeit a large one.

Joe Kaufman
01-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Purchase a 3/8" round HHS lathe tool bit from a machine tool supply house, cut to length and grind what you want /need to turn the inside of deep vessels. I purchased a couple 6" long several years ago from a local machine tool supplier. A web check finds 1/4" common but not 3/8". You could also grind a end mill bit for that purpose.

Ron Rutter
01-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Oland tool. Just .021" clearance for a 1/4" square HSS tool bit. They work like a hot darn. These bits are available up to 1/2" locally. Mostly about 4" long. You probably want to drill the hole deeper . May want to add a second set screw.

Thom Sturgill
01-29-2017, 8:14 PM
Or get some 3.8" steel (cold rolled or drill rod) cut 3" lengths and grind one end to a tape and flat on one side. Drill and tap and mount carbide tips, etc. Or buy a Martel hook tool or Monro cutter or Proform cutter. An adapter could be turned if you have access to a metal lathe.