PDA

View Full Version : Meet "Slabzilla"!

Charlie Fox
01-28-2017, 12:06 AM
so here is where we are now. 2 coats of Osmo Polyx on the bottom and now 2 coats on the top. once i got going i modified the application procedure a bit - the main thing is to NOT OVERAPPLY. that was mentioned by Mr.Joe Adams here in Sawmill Creek as well as by 2 other cheerleaders of the stuff i found online.

my biggest issue is i am applying this to SLABZILLA. its one thing to apply this finish to a floor or any typical piece of furniture where the wood is fairly uniform, but a slab this size - 8.5 feet by 4 feet - of pecan especially has at least 4 very different densities of wood (core heartwood, heartwood/sapwood transition, sapwood, and spalted sapwood) and as it is pecan it also has a lot of twisty grain. even though it is kiln-dried - again - a slab this size is still not static, especially since i have no choice but to do the work outside under a canopy, and a slab this size can really never be truly "pool table" flat. far far far from one homogeneous surface to work with, presenting a major challenge for a rookie to this finish - and add to that the fact i have casting resin in voids and a large knothole, with river rock added as you can see

remember the size as described above - the "pano" setting on my iphone 7 camera and the camera angle distorts the shape a bit. its the same slab in both pics

i am thinking a light sanding at the same final 150 grit tomorrow, a last coat, then done. let it cure a week at least then a paste wax for a final satin surface........comments welcome. i can show bottom work later - i added 7 splines to support the slab as the axis crack is/was something to deal with. i also learned i suck at bow ties. i do not like the templates and prefer the hand made look - just wish they didnt look hand made by a 3rd grade kid...lol

Jim Becker
01-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Honestly, that's looking really beautiful! And yea...almost any finish demands going easy on the application. Too little is better than too much in pretty much every case. ;)

Leo Graywacz
01-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Looks nice. I like the butterflies. I had a pc of Bubinga in my shop that was 65"x10'x2"th, 480 lbs.

Charlie Fox
01-28-2017, 1:06 PM
Looks nice. I like the butterflies. I had a pc of Bubinga in my shop that was 65"x10'x2"th, 480 lbs.

holycow! That must have been one pricey piece! Where is it now?
This was 13.5’ in total, we lopped off 5 ‘ to get this final size, the extra will make some end tables or such

Leo Graywacz
01-28-2017, 1:18 PM
holycow! That must have been one pricey piece! Where is it now?
This was 13.5’ in total, we lopped off 5 ‘ to get this final size, the extra will make some end tables or such

Still in the shop. Doing a lot of work in an 8000 sf home. It has been cut down in width so it can be used on an island with a raised eatery counter.

http://www.fototime.com/CD9D2E06A7F80A4/orig.jpg

Live edge
http://www.fototime.com/EB07695802F916F/orig.jpg

You can see it has a large check in it. The owner wanted me to continue the check so it would have that rough natural edge. So we took some wedges and split it the rest of the way, this becomes the raised eatery counter. The video is pretty short, but the process took about 1 1/2 hours to get it to split. The check was at a 20º angle and instead of the wedges forcing it apart one side went up and the other down and the check didn't move. We eventually stabilized the slab with two 4" steel "C" channels and then the magic happened.

https://youtu.be/MzQVVoTb1Y8