PDA

View Full Version : OF 1400 - must have accessories?

david mcintyre
01-27-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm purchasing the OF 1400 router and would like to know what accessories most feel they cannot do without.

As always, thanks in advance.
Sincerely, Dave.

Robert LaPlaca
01-27-2017, 1:27 PM
Guess it depends on the work one does, but I would say the standard edge guide..

Ben Rivel
01-27-2017, 1:44 PM
Edge guide was a for sure for me. Guide Stop was too so I can use it on a rail. I also picked up the centering mandrel for setting guide bushings. Other than the LR 32 system I think thats all I got with my OF 1400. Think I actually bought more for the OF 1010 than the OF 1400. The edge trimming setup for the OF 1010 is awesome.

Van Huskey
01-27-2017, 2:29 PM
Edge guide and guide stop (assuming you have guide rails) are the most used IMO. A centering mandrel if you plan to use guide bushings. The edge routing accessories listed for the OF 1010 also fit the 1400 but being bigger it is a little more clumsy to use with them. IIRC those are getting discontinued or maybe just dropped from the NA catalog, but I may be wrong. I also have the table widener and small bore base, I have used them both on occasion but rather rarely.

Get the edge guide and if you have rails the guide stop, then just pick up anything else you actually need when you need it.

doug m williams
01-27-2017, 2:43 PM
Definitely get the guide stop (492601). When used in combination with the rods, it makes for a very stable, extended "base". Plus, if you get a longer (M5?) bolt, you can use it as a trammel arm.

I got a second edge guide (492636). When used as a pair, you can sandwich narrow pieces and ensure a consistent offset of your bit. I don't use this often, so it may not qualify as a "cannot do without".

Ben Rivel
01-27-2017, 3:52 PM
Edge guide and guide stop (assuming you have guide rails) are the most used IMO. A centering mandrel if you plan to use guide bushings. The edge routing accessories listed for the OF 1010 also fit the 1400 but being bigger it is a little more clumsy to use with them. IIRC those are getting discontinued or maybe just dropped from the NA catalog, but I may be wrong. I also have the table widener and small bore base, I have used them both on occasion but rather rarely.

Get the edge guide and if you have rails the guide stop, then just pick up anything else you actually need when you need it.A Festool rep commented at the FOG about this and they are not getting discontinued.

Van Huskey
01-27-2017, 3:59 PM
A Festool rep commented at the FOG about this and they are not getting discontinued.

Thanks for the correction!

Jim Becker
01-27-2017, 6:36 PM
While I have the OEM edge guide, I really like the MicroFence setup for that as well as circles with my OF1400.