PDA

View Full Version : Quietest High CFM industrial exhaust fan

Steven Toomey
01-27-2017, 11:34 AM
We are moving our shop to a new location and I'm trying to get our exhaust setup. Currently, we have 1 Penn state 1.5hp blower(https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html) but it is not cutting it for our 2 lasers. We cut wood and during the holiday season, both lasers are running 12+ hours a day for 2 months. I was thinking of getting 2 of the 2Hp models(https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html) so each machine has a separate blower. My concern is noise. Right now our blower is in another room, but at the new location, it will be out in the open. Currently, our blower is too loud so I can only imagine what 2 of the bigger blowers would be. I know I can build an enclosure, but it isn't ideal.

So my question is there a quieter blower that pulls around the same CFM/static pressure? I searched and it seems some are using a centrifugal or a squirrel cage fan. Are these quieter and if so are there any suggestions on brand/models?

Lee DeRaud
01-27-2017, 4:49 PM
In that class of blower/dust-collector, the motor noise is minimal and at relatively low frequency. The problem is, you're moving a lot of air through small (4"-6") holes, and that's where the noise comes from...and the more air you move, the more noise you get.

Steven Toomey
01-27-2017, 7:28 PM
I noticed that. Is there a way to enclose the ducting safely or is there a material that can be wrapped around it to reduce sound? Anyone know if dynamat or another sound deadener would work?

Matt McCoy
01-27-2017, 7:54 PM
Hey Steven: Can you pass along more info about your system (i.e., type of duct, dimensions, location)? It's usually recommended to place your blower as close to the end of your run as possible and build back from there.

Lee DeRaud
01-27-2017, 7:58 PM
I noticed that. Is there a way to enclose the ducting safely or is there a material that can be wrapped around it to reduce sound? Anyone know if dynamat or another sound deadener would work?What kind of ducting are you using now? Best would probably be solid PVC (sewer pipe) with standard fiberglass duct wrap...there's probably a brand name for it, but I'm thinking of the high-density 1"-1.5" mat with the foil backing.

But you're still going to want to get the blowers in a different room or enclosed: the air going through the blower itself and its connections are your biggest noise source. (Followed by the airflow through the lasers, but there's not a whole lot you can do about that.)

Lee DeRaud
01-27-2017, 8:01 PM
It's usually recommended to place your blower as close to the end of your run as possible and build back from there.What he said. That's optimal for airflow, but it also has the advantage of putting the worst noise sources at the far end of the pipe.

Kev Williams
01-28-2017, 2:01 AM
If I may http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/deadhorse.gif .... ;)

For the money, you will not find a better deal on a 2hp 1500cfm blower....
-this is of course the bigger HF blower... I've had one of these since 2003, it's been outside in a shed, enduring 105° summer heat and -10° winter cold, it runs every day. It's running right now in fact... And I can attest that it will be no louder than any similar blower, such as those in your links for much more $$$.

Jerome Stanek
01-28-2017, 7:02 AM
If I may http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/deadhorse.gif .... ;)

For the money, you will not find a better deal on a 2hp 1500cfm blower....
-this is of course the bigger HF blower... I've had one of these since 2003, it's been outside in a shed, enduring 105° summer heat and -10° winter cold, it runs every day. It's running right now in fact... And I can attest that it will be no louder than any similar blower, such as those in your links for much more $$$.

If you look around they have it for $169

Dave Garrett
01-29-2017, 7:26 PM
hey Steven, I bought the DC250 for my Trotec Speedy 360 which processes mainly wood as well. For my situation (tenants on the other side of a thin wall) I wanted to decrease the decibels and bought an anti-fatigue mat at home depot. I cut it down and layered it under the unit and to my surprise it nearly cut the noise in half. However, most of my volume was a rogue vibration amplified thru the hardwood floors. If you are on a solid foundation I bet it will still prove to decrease noise, just minimally. If you address the noise you will not be disappointed with the muscle of this motor. when i fully cover my cutting grid the vacuum effect is staggering! I have to pry the acrylic off with something for leverage most of the time. and the smoke still doesn't stand a chance against the upper vents. Although, I have a short run straight out a window with solid walled aluminum wrapped tight. Basically, this thing SUCKS! I mean, it really really BLOWS! just my 2cents.

Steven Toomey
02-01-2017, 10:57 AM
I've attached what we have currently. We have 6" ducting with a Wye branch reduced to 4" hose at the termination. The 6" duct goes through the wall and 90's to the collector. Then exhaust about 20 feet up some more 6" duct to the roof. The suction is fine on our trotec, but the epilog 40 is hurting. Even with the blast gate closed to the trotec, it struggles to get out the smoke quickly.

However, this setup is going to change in the new location. The collector will be much further away, probably at least 10 feet. And then it will have much further to exhaust outside, probably 40-60ft. We are getting the keys today, and will be taking some pics and figuring out where all equipment is going. There was a cabinet shop there before a while ago and there is large ducting, probably 1-2' wide in the ceiling with smaller 8-10" branches. They had an industrial size dust collector that was installed outside that required 4 footing to be poured. We are hoping to tie into this existing ductwork to minimize costs.

James A. Wolfe
02-10-2017, 3:03 AM
I lived with the noise for a very short time before the blower got a new enclosure and was moved outdoors. I use smooth ductwork to eliminate standing wave noise.