PDA

View Full Version : Kanefusa Tersa Knifes

Robert LaPlaca
01-27-2017, 11:34 AM
During a discussion about Tersa knifes, someone mentioned (I believe Erik Loza?) that Kanefusa manufactured a coated HSS Tersa knife that lasts almost as long as a carbide Tersa knife, at less cost than the carbide knifes. My question is has anyone here actually used this product and can give their impression of how the Kanefusa coated knifes compare to either HSS or M42+ Tersa knifes.

Chris Padilla
01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
I purchased a few of these Kanefusa blades for my 3-knife Tersa head but I must confess that I haven't gotten around to trying them out. I know this largely makes my post to your thread completely irrelevant but perhaps it'll give me the impetus to actually try them out. I have a MM FS41-Elite combo jointer/planer (410mm or 16").

Robert LaPlaca
01-27-2017, 1:24 PM
Thanks Chris, I own exactly the same machine, complete with the three knife head. Unfortunately the three knife head doesn't allow too much knife "hocus pocus", i know some folks run with two carbide and two HSS knifes, its either three carbide or three HSS/M42+ knifes. Three 410mm carbide Tersa's get expensive, plus most suppliers only sell the knifes in two knife packs, so i would need to buy 4 carbide knifes for a three knife head!

peter gagliardi
01-27-2017, 9:53 PM
Hopefully Joe Calhoon will see this and comment, I believe he has tried them.

Len Rosenberg
01-28-2017, 12:07 AM
I also have the MM FS41 Elite but it has a four knife Tersa head. Also interested to hear user feedback about the Kanefusa knives.

Thanks,

Len

Joe Calhoon
01-28-2017, 1:00 PM
I like them. Have used them in the jointer and planer the last 18 months. Just turned the jointer knives a month ago. They were dull and should have been turned sooner. Planer still going strong. We started using these on a large knotty white oak door and millwork job so that says a lot for them. Jointer gets used a lot as we have a carbide Tersa equipped S4S machine that gets the bulk of timber planing. Myself and longtime shop associate only work part time now so not running quantities daily through the shop. All 2 knives in a 4 knife heads.
M42 I see only good if running clear softwood. They knick and dull easily.
As to Kanafusa coated vs carbide I think it is a tossup. Carbide does not knick unless hitting metal, Kanafusa will get small ridges but nothing like M42. They seem to heal a bit. Carbide Tersa can be resharpened a few times but it is not inexpensive.

Here are some pictures from yesterday planing a 2 1/2" X 24 1/2" walnut slab for a furniture maker friend. No tearout anywhere, a few small ridges that the photo will not show. We wide belted this but he made the comment he could have orbit sanded this with not a lot of work.

Brian W Evans
01-28-2017, 1:24 PM
Any idea what these cost? A single 410mm M42 knife costs $15-18, and a single carbide knife costs $100-130. Kanefusa says their blades last about 5 times as long as HSS, which would make them worth about $70-75. This would be a nice middle ground.

Robert LaPlaca
01-28-2017, 1:36 PM
Joe, thanks for the information, if the Kanefusa work that well in a pro shop, that is endorsement enough for me. I love the finish I get from the Tersa M42+ knifes, but the biggest issue as you stated, is the chipping of the knife. Maybe its just the nature of the geometry and/or the lack of mass with the Tersa knifes that they chip so easily, but when the knifes are good, the finish almost shimmers. I never had any luck with the HSS knifes at all..