PDA

View Full Version : Grey tone finish on cherry?

Michael Pauly
01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
We are in the final stages of a basement remodel that has a section of cabinetry (we bought them due to time constraints, sorry) that I'm trying to match the finish in a couple of other pieces that I am building. The wood is solid cherry but has a grey toned finish that I'm not sure how best to replicate. My finishing methods are usually wipe on urethanes (Arm-r-Seal is my favorite), shellac or rattle can lacquer and I usually go for a natural finish or oil based stain. I don't have access to or experience with sprayed finishes.

Right now I'm not sure what the best methods to try and experiment with. I've done some searching and seen options for gel stains or multiple coats of tinted top coat, but nothing really close to the look I'm seeking. Hoping for some suggestions from the experts on specific methods and products before I go off and waste a bunch of time on things that might be in the wrong direction.

For reference, the cabinets and finish are shown in the link below.

http://www.schrock.com/products/finishes/seal/cherry

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Prashun Patel
01-27-2017, 10:23 AM
The picture does not imho match the name or description.

However I would consider using a waterbased finish seal coat, then a grey pigment stain as a glaze and finally a waterbased topcoat. This will reduce any amber tendency.

Of course cherry may turn red in its own over time, so your finish today may not look as you intend a couple years from now.

Andy Giddings
01-27-2017, 11:44 AM
On top of Prashun's advice, General Finishes has a weathered Gray stain that may work, alternative is to mix your own stain. Have a look at the color range from Homestead - Pickled Oak maybe? https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/water-based-wood-stains-dyes/water-based-wood-stains#.WIt2YIWcEUE http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/homestead-finishes-stains/. You might also try emailing Jeff Jewitt at Homestead to see if he has any suggestions

Michael Pauly
01-27-2017, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm no marketing guru, but it's a grey/brown color ....not too far from its namesake.

Guess it seems obvious at this point, but would the following process seem reasonable as it's what I have on Hand and am used to using:

1. Sealer coat of dreaded shellac
2. Stain with custom blend of gray and walnut stain to get desired color
3. Top coat(s) of semigloss arm-r-seal
4. Buff with 0000 to flatten and get desired sheen

Thanks again
Michael

Andy Giddings
01-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Nothing wrong with your approach that I can see, although the shellac will obviously affect a dye stain's penetration and color depth much more than pigment - just need to watch drying times if you mix water based stain with an oil based top coat

Michael Pauly
01-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Thanks again.

I've had bad experiences with inconsistent absorption with cherry and splotchy result so figured thinned spit coat would even in out. I should have mentioned that I plan to use oil based products as it's what I have on hand, but will run some tests and see what kind of results I get. I see why you recommended the thicker, water based general finishes stain, as it might provide a better result.

Will see if I can pick up the grey stain this weekend and post the results.