PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield Pro Filters

John Buckner
01-26-2017, 2:05 PM
I have a Trend Pro Airshield. Does anyone know a reason why the filters cannot be washed and used repeatedly? The things are expensive.

Roger Chandler
01-26-2017, 2:22 PM
I have used compressed air to clean mine, using about 50 psi, but that will only take care of them for about three cleanings. I turn on a lathe, and generate copious amounts of fine wood dust, and have on one occasion about 3 years ago used a pair of filters for too long. Ended up with a sinus infection, which kicked my butt for a month, so be careful!

If I were going to wash the filters, it would be by hand in a mild detergent, and air dry.....don't know how well it will hold up to washing???

Dick Mahany
01-26-2017, 5:48 PM
I have never washed them, but have used a vac and light compressed air to clean them. I don't have a particle counter, so I can't quantify if their performance diminishes as a result. I do have some wood dust allergies, and haven't noticed an apparent degradation when sanding on the lathe. My current set is on their 3rd use.

John Buckner
01-26-2017, 8:25 PM
Thanks, Roger and Dick. I thought about the compressed air technique, but the mild laundry soap and hand washing seemed more thorough, unless the filters were impregnated with something to capture dust, but would wash away. I should think the Trend engineers could have come up with something far less expensive: a bag that would fit easily over the plastic frame and be held with a rubber band or drawstring.

Dick Mahany
01-26-2017, 9:35 PM
I originally purchased a spare set of filters, but due to the cost was hesitant at using them as disposables. The Trend Pro was so well built, that I figured the original filters must be robust enough to with stand a few cleaning attempts. Happy to say that this seems to be the case, but I just wish I could quantify that statement with particle numbers to prove it.

BTW......I once made the BIG mistake of applying CA glue while wearing the Trend. Man I couldn't get that thing off my head fast enough to get rid of those fumes :o

I don't know if they had any adverse effects on the filters, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Still have the spare filters on hand for when the time does come to change them out as with my luck it will happen suddenly over a long holiday weekend.