PDA

View Full Version : Copper wire hardness question

Mike Goetzke
01-26-2017, 9:34 AM
I'm looking for wire to hold a copper tube immersion chiller coils separated(for my other hobby - beer brewing) like shown below ( see photo 1/2 way down where he has a form to bend the wire). My menards only goes to 8ga bare wire and it seems too stiff. I found 12ga on Amazon but it's called "dead soft". Will this dead soft wire be to soft for this application? I need to bend it but it then needs to hold it's shape.

Linkey (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488144)

Thanks

Mike

Wayne Lomman
01-26-2017, 4:45 PM
Mike, try annealing same as required for bending copper tubing. Heat to cherry red and allow to cool. It will be good to go then. Cheers

Shawn Pixley
01-27-2017, 9:46 AM
Mike,

I sympathize with your dilemma. My immersion coil doesn't have separators but the coils are separated simply by the strength of the copper tubing. I don't see a need for separators. (Brewer since 1984 - all grain).

if you are committed to the separators, I would use the 8 ga. and anneal it to get the bends you want. Keep in mind that the bending will work harden the copper. You may need to anneal multiple times. Conversely, you can bend it hot. This takes touch and you will run the risk of burning yourself or burning through the wire. (Easier than you might think)