PDA

View Full Version : Painting dental molding.

Dan Mages
01-25-2017, 1:08 PM
The family room has a fantastic 3 piece crown molding with a dental detail. I need to paint it all. Any advice on how to efficiently paint between each block? 60 linear feet to paint... yikes!

Frankly, the family room has been a real pain in the you know what to clean, prep and paint. It is no surprise it has only been painted twice in 60 years. That also means there is probably 20-30 years of holes, cracks, and other damage I have to deal with.

Sam Murdoch
01-25-2017, 7:05 PM
Mask off and spray. The time required to mask off is time well spent considering the alternative. If you don't have spray equipment - could be worth renting. As an alternative I have known (not in my area though) paint companies to containerize any color latex paint they sell into rattle ball spray cans. Very useful service if you can get it. Otherwise you are faced with working slowly with a narrow foam or bristle brush. Tedious is the word that comes to mind :).

Good luck.

Sean Tracey
01-25-2017, 7:20 PM
In 1980 or 1981, when I was in high school, I painted some dentil molding under the eaves of a two story house from a ladder with a brush. It took forever. My friend said there was a special U shaped brush for painting dentil, but I have never seen one.

Spray. And even then I imagine you have to be good at it.

Wayne Lomman
01-25-2017, 7:53 PM
Spraying is not going to be effective. There are too many blind pockets that the spray won't get into. It's patient brushwork I'm afraid - bristle not foam. Cheers

Mel Fulks
01-25-2017, 7:58 PM
I have never used "dentil moulding" without protesting and offering a an alternative. Individual vertical grain blocks prepainted. Then fill nail holes and paint faces.

Dan Mages
01-25-2017, 8:27 PM
There is a reason I have not painted this room in the 8 years I have lived here. This room is is just a nuisance to prep and paint. I have been spending 4 hours a day 3 days a week for the past 3 weeks working on it!