PDA

View Full Version : Veritas, the Goddess of Truth

Rich Riddle
01-25-2017, 1:24 AM
I needed to read something to help sleep and pulled out some old college mythology texts. Apparently Veritas was the goddess of truth in Roman mythology. The word means truth. So much for sleep. And here I thought Rob invented the word. It doesn't say much for younger college years, information retention, and attention spans while young.

roger wiegand
01-25-2017, 8:33 AM
Harvard has been using the brand for the better part of the last 400 years. Yale, of course, tried to one-up them by adding light to the truth, using Lux et Veritas as their motto.

Van Huskey
01-26-2017, 2:41 AM
Interesting that a speaker company, Energy, has a Veritas line. Interesting in that they are a Canadian company also. Canada actually builds some of the best speakers in the world in part due to Canada's NRC (National Research Council) which has done ground-breaking psycho-acoustical research for years.

Veritas was the daughter of Saturn and lived at the bottom of a well, truth being so difficult to find.

Justin Ludwig
01-26-2017, 6:29 AM
I remember first hearing the word during the Latin dialog between Johnny Ringo and Doc Holiday in Tombstone.

Dave Anderson NH
01-26-2017, 10:43 AM
My favorite line was always In vino veritas.

Ted Calver
01-26-2017, 11:56 AM

True dat!!

Andy Giddings
01-26-2017, 3:36 PM
Interesting that a speaker company, Energy, has a Veritas line. Interesting in that they are a Canadian company also. Canada actually builds some of the best speakers in the world in part due to Canada's NRC (National Research Council) which has done ground-breaking psycho-acoustical research for years.

Veritas was the daughter of Saturn and lived at the bottom of a well, truth being so difficult to find.
I'll second the Canadian speaker reputation. I've got a Paradigm Reference Active speaker setup (7.1), had it for about 16 years, never had an issue, sounds sweet every time I use it and the best bang for the buck I've found. Anthem (same company) makes some excellent hi-fi components as well

Rich Riddle
01-26-2017, 3:57 PM
Does that mean, "In wine is truth?"

Dave Anderson NH
01-26-2017, 4:10 PM
Yes Rich, in wine is truth.

Mel Fulks
01-26-2017, 4:45 PM
Seems like for us 'Mericans it's usually written "in wine there is truth". But I think Dave's translation is probably more accurate.