PDA

View Full Version : Coleman compressors - any good?

Dan Mages
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi again. My parents are heavily pressuring me to take a Coleman Powermate 20 gallonish compressor that Menards is offering. Does anyone know if their compressors are any good?

Thanks,

Dan

Don Baer
10-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Dan,
It apears that they make 2 20 Gal compressors. Both are oil lubricated which is a good thing. The differance is one has a 3 HP Peak rated motors and the other has a 5 HP peak rated motor. I thinks that the 5 HP would be a better choice.

Just my opion so take it or what it worth.

Mike Vermeil
10-12-2005, 1:07 PM
I have a Coleman oil-less, 27 gallon, 5 peak hp compressor that I picked up at Costco a few years ago when my industrial-style compressor died. As far as oil-less compressors go, it seems to be as good as any of the other units typicially available in the price range - I really haven't had any problems with it. My only complaint is that the diameters of the orifices, tubing and regulator beyond the tank are too small to maintain set pressure under constant use - such as spraying off dust. You have to wait a second or two for the pressure to catch back up after blowing something off. When I spray, I have to set the exit pressure about 10 psi higher than I normally would to maintain enough pressure at the gun.

Now, having said all that, I will never, ever buy another oil-less compressor as long as I live. To my ears, the noise is unbearable.

Kevin Post
10-12-2005, 1:24 PM
I also have a Coleman 5hp, oiless. I've owned it for approx. 6 years and haven't had any problems with it but, like Mike, I will not buy another oil-free compressor. They are very loud...

-Kevin

Tony Shaftel
10-12-2005, 1:31 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but if you were going to get an oil-less compressor would it be possible to put it in a sound proofed enclosure of some sort to reduce the noise to a reasonable level? I also seem to recall discussion of using a muffler on the air intake.

Seems to me oil-less compressors are a good choice for many shops, particularly if the sound issue can be addressed.

Charles McKinley
10-12-2005, 7:21 PM
Hi Dan,

Coleman bought out Sanborn compressors. The ones I have looked at appear simular to my old Sanborn. I much prefer oil to oilless compressors but my 2 oilless have held up well they are just LOUD.

Bob Johnson2
10-12-2005, 7:41 PM
Dan I'd figure out what I want to do with it and see if it has enough ummph. You might need more cfm, or you may be able to use a more compact unit if you need little.

Chee Fang
10-13-2005, 9:50 AM
I bought the belt-driven oiled Coleman compressor last year. It is running very quite. I like it veru much. The shop at work also has the same compressor. It has been running for five years w/o problems.

Dan Mages
10-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the advice on Coleman compressors, however I cannot find any of Coleman's oil lubed compressors near me. Right now it is a toss up between the 27 gallon Coleman oil free or a 12 gallon Craftsman oil lubed. The coleman will cost $50 more. Any comments on Craftsman Compressors?? I know their quality has taken a nose dive in the past few years and yes, I still have that bitter Bob Vila sellout taste in my mouth.

Dan

Dominick Giarraputo
10-14-2005, 12:31 AM
I will put my 2 cents worth in.... I'm a Sears service tech and can tell you that most of the craftsman compressors are built by DeVilbess and have been for quite a few years. The oil type units are by far much better than the oil-free models. I can't remember how many oil-less types I had to rebuild because of worn rings & cylinders or blown rods & cooling fans. This goes for both the single & twin cylinder types. JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!! I can only remember having to work on ONE oil type twin cylinder unit, and that was only because crankcase gaskets were leaking.

Don't waste your money on an oil-free unit. Get an oil-type unit I can assure you, you'll have it for many years.....and your ears will thank you as well!

Joe Mioux
10-14-2005, 5:07 AM
I have a Craftsmen oil-less compressor and yes it is loud. However, I have not had any problems with it since I bought it back in 1997. I do use it almost daily from January until the end of February. From Feb, on it just gets used for the normal routine things around the shop...tires, blowing dust of things etc.

JOe