PDA

View Full Version : Platter.....

Michael Stafford
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Here is my first official platter as opposed to large diameter shallow bowl. There is a difference right?

This platter made from ILLO came from my friend Rodger Barrow's junk barrel, give away barrel. He was not sure what it was but I am pretty sure it is ILLO. At less than 7/8" in thickness and 14 3/4" in diameter this is about the largest thing I can turn on my lathe without going outboard...and I ain't swimming to turn.

Michael Stafford
10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh by the way, ILLO is "It looks like oak":p ;) :D

Lee DeRaud
10-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Here is my first official platter as opposed to large diameter shallow bowl. There is a difference right?It's on a plate stand, therefore it's a platter, QED.:cool:

Very nice. (And yeah, ILLO.)

Keith Burns
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Another winner !! You are so versitle in your work and they all turn out (no pun intended) great !

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 1:22 PM
Nice platter, Mike! "ILLO"... I like that!:D Question for you, though: How do you finish the bottom or "foot"? Use a vacuum chuck or what?:) :cool:

Glenn Hodges
10-12-2005, 1:36 PM
Mike, one that big will hold a lot of biscuits. The wood shows off your expertise so great.

Michael Stafford
10-12-2005, 2:22 PM
John, I do not have a vacuum chuck. Most of the finish work on the bottom is done before I turn the top. I use a recess to turn the bottom. After I finish the top I then reverse turn the bottom what little it needs to disguise the recess by using my live center to hold the piece against a large laminated plywood disc covered with carpet padding. Then I use a little finish to touch it up and it is done.

Glenn, it takes a lot of biscuits. I got the nickname Big Mike honestly....:p :D

By the way, thank you all for the nice comments. But keep your hands off my biscuits....Glenn you can have a few....

Mark Cothren
10-12-2005, 2:29 PM
Great platter, Mike! But that would be a ILLAP (Arky Pecan) if it was in Dennis' shop, ya know...:D

Joe Horne
10-12-2005, 3:06 PM
Nice Platter, and yes, it does resemble Oak. The front is very nice, but if I may offer a critique, the bottom is a bit busy in the center. With all the detail on the bottom center, it takes away from the focus of the overall piece. Just an observation.

Carole Valentine
10-12-2005, 5:18 PM
What is ILLO? Illinois Live Oak? :D Nice looking platter. I'm just starting to learn platters...to me they are much harder than a bowl! It takes me forever to get the flat right with no ripples.

Jim Ketron
10-12-2005, 5:35 PM
Nice platter Big Mike:D
Finish is great as always!

Travis Stinson
10-12-2005, 7:58 PM
All these platters are making me dizzy!:D
Very nice Mike. Cool ILLO wood too!;)

Dick Parr
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I knew ya had it in ya Mike.;)

Ernie Nyvall
10-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Very nice Mike. The grain looks perfectly centered and a nice finish.

Ernie