PDA

View Full Version : just got 1 computer repaired and now my backup is acting up...

Chuck Wintle
01-24-2017, 4:06 PM
As luck would have it my backup computer is failing or has failed. I think its the power supply because when i press the power button it briefly lights up and goes out. by unplugging and replugging it came to life. i don't think its the MB because I just ran the intel cpu test program and everything is passing. So that leaves the power supply. I will order a new one. From my previous problem the new SSD arrived, was installed and all is working great. Thanks to all who provided advice and guidance.

Myk Rian
01-24-2017, 4:53 PM
Motherboards carry a whole lot more than a CPU, and CPU tests don't get it all.
I think you may be on the right track with the PS.
When is the last time you used a vacuum inside the case, if ever?

Barry McFadden
01-24-2017, 5:17 PM
I had the exact symptoms a few years ago and it turned out to be the mother board....

Lee Schierer
01-24-2017, 7:37 PM
I had a computer that did that, but it turned out to be the on/off switch wore out.

Kev Williams
01-24-2017, 11:41 PM
I have a crapload of computers, 2 of them are on their 3rd power supply, one is on its second-- ALL of them are on their original motherboards.

Most of the time when the PS goes out they act just like yours is acting. Only one that I can remember just plain died flat out.

Now, several years ago I had 3 IBM Thinkpads(?), small desktop computers, about Y2k vintage- and all 3 blew their motherboards- so yeah, that happens too!

But PS's are much cheaper to change out. And if you have an old computer you don't use, its PS might fit. Or even if it doesn't fit, it can still be used to test. My oldest computer, an HP Pavillion running 98SE, I have a 300w power supply from some other computer sitting on the floor next to the tower, because it's WAY bigger than the original! I used it as a "test" supply, and was going to get one that fits... but it was free, works great and I don't care if it's not IN the computer!

Andy Giddings
01-25-2017, 12:02 AM
+1 on Kev's comments - never had a MB fail. Does your MB have any diagnostic indicator on it (sometimes a small display or LEDs or even beeps)? If it does this may help to find the issue

Jerome Stanek
01-25-2017, 5:54 AM
have you replaced the cmos battery

Jerome Klutts
01-25-2017, 4:33 PM
Try unplugging and replugging the memory chips. I have had it happen on a couple of computers. They usually will try to start then shut down but sometimes they are just dead when you turn it on.

glenn bradley
01-25-2017, 7:40 PM
I've always considered the computer to be a tool, not a hobby. Divide the cost of the computer by the number of days you have owned it. If it is less than a cup of coffee, get a new one.

Van Huskey
01-26-2017, 2:29 AM
I've always considered the computer to be a tool, not a hobby. Divide the cost of the computer by the number of days you have owned it. If it is less than a cup of coffee, get a new one.

I'm with you. The ones I have fixed just started having other failures one after another. I keep 3 work laptops all configured the exact same way so if one dies I can move seamlessly to the next one. I have a 4th that I use just for internet and personal email. Nothing I do requires a lot of onboard computing power so I just buy lower mid-range laptops, they are so cheap now I just can't see working on them especially with my experience of when one thing dies it is just the beginning.

Chuck Wintle
01-27-2017, 5:01 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded with helpful suggestions. :)It wasn't the computer chips, the cmos battery, the on/off switch, or the motherboard that was at fault. i just finished replacing the power supply with good results.....the computer is working again. Thanks again, :D