PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with my laptop

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 2:37 PM
Went to work in corel draw this morning and it was doing weird things so I rebooted. Then it said updating windows don't turn off so after about 40 mins it shutdown. Then I booted and it took over an hour to configure windows then it said 100% complete and cleaning up that took 30 min's
Now I'm waiting for it to start again.:eek:

Andy Giddings
01-24-2017, 2:51 PM
Which Operating System do you have and how old is the laptop?

Mike Henderson
01-24-2017, 3:12 PM
Sounds like a standard software update on a slow computer with a mechanical disk drive.

Mike

Lee Schierer
01-24-2017, 3:21 PM
This is fairly common with Windows 10.

Myk Rian
01-24-2017, 3:29 PM
Or what DID you have, and what do you have NOW.

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 3:37 PM
Win 7 pro ................

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 3:38 PM
Its been pretty slow lately but I did a defrag and ran spybot

Sounds like a standard software update on a slow computer with a mechanical disk drive.

Mike

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 3:42 PM
computer about 4 years old 64bit quad core

Sean Troy
01-24-2017, 3:57 PM
Use this: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Mike Henderson
01-24-2017, 4:05 PM
If you want to speed it up significantly, replace your mechanical drive with an SSD. You'll be amazed.

I run Win 10 and a software update takes maybe a couple of minutes. That has been true on each of my computers (a dual core i3, a dual core i5 and a quad core i7). It seems that the "delay" is due to writing to the disk and not compute time.

Mike

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 4:27 PM
I've tried some of these free cleaners their free to download and scan your system but then when you want it to actually do the work and clean the system then they want 29.95 or what ever, and you have no idea if they work or not.

Use this: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 4:28 PM
I've been thinking about that but worried about the programs I have on it. This laptop runs my laser and I can't mess that up.LOL

Larry Browning
01-24-2017, 4:36 PM
I've tried some of these free cleaners their free to download and scan your system but then when you want it to actually do the work and clean the system then they want 29.95 or what ever, and you have no idea if they work or not.

ccleaner is not that way at all. It is one of a handful of gotta have programs and utilities I keep and run on a regular basis.
They do have a paid version but about the only thing it will do for you is automatic updates.

Myk Rian
01-24-2017, 4:50 PM
Get ccleaner right from the maker.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
I use it all the time. Do the registry clean and let it do it's thing.
SSDs are nice, but not worth the cost. I have one for my boot drive. Doesn't speed things up all that much.

Barry McFadden
01-24-2017, 5:21 PM
SSDs are nice, but not worth the cost. I have one for my boot drive. Doesn't speed things up all that much.

I have a 5 year old PC running Windows XP and switching from the old drive to a SSD improved my boot time from 7+ minutes to about 1.5 minutes.

Mike Henderson
01-24-2017, 5:38 PM
If you have an old PC, the disk interface is not very fast and converting to an SSD doesn't help much. But all the computers made in the past 5 or so years have a 6 Gbps SATA-3 interface and an SSD makes a lot of difference in the performance. A friend had an old computer - running Vista - with the old interface. I put in an SSD just as a test and it was just as slow as with the HDD.

But every computer I've upgraded that has the 6Gbps SATA-3 interface is significantly faster with an SSD. It boots faster and it does various functions faster when in normal operation. A modern computer is usually limited by Internet access time and disk access time. The CPU is not the limiting factor. Of course, that depends on your application - there are high CPU demand applications but most people don't use them.

Mike

Andy Giddings
01-24-2017, 6:04 PM
+1 on Mike's comments. Unless you are doing some heavy 3d modelling or graphics work your CPU is going to be idle a lot of the time. I have Windows 10 on my own computer and have to use Windows 7 on the company computer. Every time I use Windows 7 I'm so glad that I upgraded everywhere else :-)

Bert Kemp
01-24-2017, 9:40 PM
Thanx Larry maybe I try it then

ccleaner is not that way at all. It is one of a handful of gotta have programs and utilities I keep and run on a regular basis.
They do have a paid version but about the only thing it will do for you is automatic updates.

Sean Troy
01-25-2017, 8:26 AM
It's free and does work very well.