PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Basswood

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2017, 11:33 AM
This piece was rough turned two years ago but instead of finish turning to round, I decided to sand everything and leave the natural warp that happened while drying. Sanded to 280 grit inside and out, then sealed with de-waxed shellac. The exterior was given multiple coats of wipe-on poly and then rubbed down to the bare wood using 0000 steel wool. Exterior was then given a couple of coats of Conservator’s Wax and hand buffed. The interior was given 2 coats of black gesso and sealed with a spray matte acrylic.

Dimensions are 13” high, 12” diameter x ½” thick.

As always, your opinions, critiques and comments are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :D

Roger Chandler
01-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Super form on this, Steve, and I like the natural look finish. The flowing curve and the rim set this off....well done!

Edward Weingarden
01-24-2017, 1:39 PM
Steve:
Very nice piece. How did you protect the inner rim from the black gesso, and how did you get a straight line of the gesso around the inner rim? Thanks.

Ed

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2017, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words Roger and Edward!

Ed, the entire form had a couple of coats of de-waxed shellac and I was hoping that the shellac would help prevent the gesso from soaking into the wood at the rim. It did but any gesso that managed to get on to the rim was immediately wiped off before it stained the area. The gesso was applied using a natural bristle brush and the only way I got the straight line at the rim by taking my time - no tape, magic or anything else.

Dave Bunge
01-25-2017, 5:55 AM
I like the form/shape a lot and the contrast with the black interior.

If I may ask, how did you avoid over spray on the rim and outside when you sprayed the inside?

Dave

John Keeton
01-25-2017, 6:04 AM
The curvature on this one is sooooo pleasing! Great work and I love the contrast of the interior - draws the eye to the nicely spalted exterior

William C Rogers
01-25-2017, 8:21 AM
Steve. Great job, the form is great. Stunning piece.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2017, 9:30 AM
Dave, I put a heavy layer of wax on the rim and the top 5 or 6 inches of the form. Any over spray was easily wiped off.

John K Jordan
01-25-2017, 9:42 AM
I like the form on this! It looks like your use of materials and skill paid off at the rim. That beats my "magic" method of turning away sloppy application. :-)

JKJ

mike ash
01-25-2017, 10:10 AM
You nailed it Steve!! Beautiful!!

Edward Weingarden
01-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks Steve.

Ed

Don Frank
01-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Steve,
I love the shape and form, especially the base, as it has that calabash look. It doesn't look like it should sit upright by itself , which is a good thing, not a bad thing. Beautiful.

Doug Herzberg
01-25-2017, 10:45 AM
That's a beautiful curve, Steve. Nice photography, too.

Dave Bunge
01-25-2017, 7:48 PM
Dave, I put a heavy layer of wax on the rim and the top 5 or 6 inches of the form. Any over spray was easily wiped off.

Nice and simple. I like that. Thanks.