PDA

View Full Version : End Mill v spiral router bit?

David Ragan
01-23-2017, 3:22 PM
Can I use a small diameter end mill in my Colt router for small stuff?

They are about the same price on Amazon.

The size would be 1/16"; they even have 1/32" end mill-easily breakable, I'm sure.

(I tried chisels, and Dremel stuff)

Here is the End Mill:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41VaotZaSAL._SX342_.jpg

Wouldn't this be better than a spiral bit?

Thanks! David

pat warner
01-23-2017, 3:31 PM
Not a problem, but would not hang out that much shank.

Marion Smith
01-25-2017, 12:08 AM
I'm not saying no, but, the entire geometrical design of an end mill is designed to optimize removing metals. The fast twist as pictured will tend pull the wood fibers up and increase tearout on the top edge of your work. There is also less rooom for chips between flutes. If you want to try the endmill route, it's doable, but I suggest looking for 2-flute versions with a slow twist. Just my 2cents.

Charles Lent
01-25-2017, 7:48 AM
In my attempts to use end mills I have come to the conclusion that spiral router bits cut wood better. End mills will work, but I think their design is better suited to cutting metal.

Charley

Lee Schierer
01-25-2017, 8:19 AM
I've used end mills where I needed a longer reach and I've also used a milling machine to make precise cuts for inlays such as was done on this box.
The cuts were at least as good as a router bit.

Jerome Stanek
01-25-2017, 9:46 AM
End mills are a staple of woodworking CNC's

Warren Lake
01-25-2017, 11:48 AM
machined thousands of pieces with 1/2" high speed steel end mills and they work fine, lose their edge quickly depending on the material. switched to Onsrud I think they were CRO-285 quarter inch bit with 1" cutting length solid carbide. Work excellent, probably the sharpest carbide you will find, its some years back and maybe some newer stuff now not sure

Robert Parent
01-26-2017, 8:01 AM
I too have used a mix of wood and metal bits in both handheld and CNC routers and mills. While not always ideal, many can be made to work just fine. Usually a slight adjustment to the feed and speed of the bit is all that is required. Yes, it's nice to always have the proper bit, but sometimes that is just not possible.

Robert

Bruce Page
01-26-2017, 1:04 PM
I've had my turret mill since the early 90's and have machined a ton of wood on it, mostly oak. In my experience conventional metal working end mills, e.g. High Speed, M42, and Ti coated all work well when used for face milling operations. They are less effective and dull rather quickly when used for side milling.