PDA

View Full Version : Pattern bit for shaper

Jeff Finazzo
01-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Hello all
I am new to shaper use. Actually very new. I have a machine on order, so very little experience. I do a lot of pattern routing and I'm curious what is the best tooling for doing this on a shaper. Also and technique advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

J.R. Rutter
01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
I don't do much pattern shaping, but when I do I use a 4" spiral insert cutterhead with matching 4" bearing. At other shops I've been in, I have seen a budget version of this using a stack of 1/2" high straight cutters staggered with matching OD bearing.

For technique, it also depends on exactly what you are shaping, but if possible make the template extend out enough to stop the bearing rotation without the cutter touching, then ease into it. I usually try to cut 1/16" to 1/8" oversize for the part to be shaped and screw the template on (for straight cuts like table legs, I leave them long and cut off the screw holes after shaping) or use a shop built jig with toggle clamps. I don't think that I would trust double sided tape unless there was *plenty* of surface area for it.

Andy Giddings
01-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Hello all
I am new to shaper use. Actually very new. I have a machine on order, so very little experience. I do a lot of pattern routing and I'm curious what is the best tooling for doing this on a shaper. Also and technique advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Depending on the shape of the pattern, if it has a lot of curves, you'll need a curved guard over the cutter instead of the standard straight fence setup. Also depending upon how tight you want the radii, you can use a rebate cutter with a bearing or a spiral planer head with bearing. Here's a link to a Felder video showing the curved guard/rebate cutter/bearing setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8WcPOd5g7w and a link to a typical spiral planer head with a small diameter for tight radii https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4QKKU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
As you're new to shaper use, I can recommend a good book on shaper setup and safety which helped me a lot starting up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0854421505/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The title may confuse you as its a UK book and Spindle Moulder = Shaper

Larry Edgerton
01-23-2017, 12:18 PM
I use a 4x4 Byrd, and I try to set it up so the cut part is below the bearing. Next one will be a garnega, slight bit of vibration with the Byrd.

What JR said about extending your pattern is good advise, especially on smaller parts. The initial cut can grab a piece, not cool. Be very careful on end grain want to run away a little more. Pattern cutter should be no larger than your smallest radius, but remember, the larger the cutter the better the cut. Do some very simple parts to get the hang of it first, with a lead in.

Phillip Gregory
01-27-2017, 8:24 PM
A starting pin will help with the initial grab. If you don't have a hole for one, drill and tap one and put one in. Pretty much any shaper that actually gets used has more holes in its top than a stop sign on a back road.

Van Huskey
01-27-2017, 8:50 PM
I use a 4x4 Byrd, and I try to set it up so the cut part is below the bearing. Next one will be a garnega, slight bit of vibration with the Byrd.

I have the exact same head/size and the first one had a little vibration, I sent it back and the second one is fine, I REALLY like it. They are cheap and share bits with my planer.

Darcy Warner
01-27-2017, 9:45 PM
I prefer a pin router for pattern routing.

Wayne Lomman
01-28-2017, 4:29 AM
Jeff, correct template/jig making is absolutely critical with shaper work and all patterns MUST have a lead in so that your bearing touches the jig before the cutter touches the workplace. This is not optional if you want to keep your fingers attached.

Also you need to be aware that a shaper has many time more torque than a router therefore will kick a lot harder if treated incautiously.

If possible get someone to show you how to use one or at the very least read up and watch decent videos. They are a great machine, the one I miss most actually, but I also have 3 experienced former colleagues missing a fair bit of their hands through shaper use. Cheers

Justin Ludwig
01-28-2017, 6:57 AM
I use a 3x4 Byrd and bearing. I guess I got lucky because I don't have vibration issues with it. I'm very pleased with it. All of my patterns have big handles for a good grip and about 10" of in-feed leg to hit the bearing way before the cutter.