PDA

View Full Version : Left hand index finger gets sore...

steven c newman
01-23-2017, 9:54 AM
Seems like everytime I am running a plane along an edge, the finger gets sore....:(

Thumb gets a cramp, from hanging onto the edge of the plane for dear life.

Maybe I should stop using that finger as a fence?:eek:

jeremy j smith
01-23-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a bad habit of letting a finger drag on my water stones. On more than one occasion, this has resulted in abrading away the surface layer of skin, exposing the capillaries. I don't notice this until the water begins to take on a pinkish hue.

Jeremy.

Bill Houghton
01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Do you loop the thumb around the knob? When I plane as you're describing, I loop my thumb around the knob, and it doesn't get much pressure. But maybe I don't use the technique as intensively as you do.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Seems like everytime I am running a plane along an edge, the finger gets sore....:(

Thumb gets a cramp, from hanging onto the edge of the plane for dear life.

Maybe I should stop using that finger as a fence?:eek:

This is why my finger nails get used like a fence, but only when needed.

jtk

steven c newman
01-23-2017, 2:35 PM
Afraid my thumb won't quite reach the knob.....short thumb/big plane?

Jim Koepke
01-23-2017, 3:58 PM
Afraid my thumb won't quite reach the knob.....short thumb/big plane?

Instead of "hanging on for dear life" maybe a more relaxed grip would be less stressful.

If something is causing a problem, that is a sign that something should be changed.

jtk

Darrell LaRue
01-23-2017, 8:51 PM
I read in a lot of sources that people let their fingers drag along the work under the plane, as a fence or guide. That works OK on small, smooth stock, but when you are jointing long pieces of rough lumber the friction and slivers get to be too much. I have learned that I need to keep the plane square to the face without dragging any body parts on the reference surface.

Jim Koepke
01-24-2017, 2:42 AM
I read in a lot of sources that people let their fingers drag along the work under the plane, as a fence or guide. That works OK on small, smooth stock, but when you are jointing long pieces of rough lumber the friction and slivers get to be too much. I have learned that I need to keep the plane square to the face without dragging any body parts on the reference surface.

Agree 100%, my use of fingers riding under the plane is seldom for more than a few fine shavings.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
01-24-2017, 7:04 AM
My fingers naturally migrate away from compromising positions such as the bottom of a plane. My fingers dislike me for my use and abuse of them when I carve with knives, they dislike my carving knives too, so they've learned to protect themselves. I once woke up to my left hand stretched across my neck, I don't know if it was just me still being half asleep or because my hand was numb from laying on it. But I truly believed I was on the verge of a possible choking. I can't trust my hands. Like I said, it's almost instinct keep them away from there. Instead of use them as a fence, I clamp a straight-edged board section at the desired distance away from the edge of the board I'm planing. In Steven's case, I can recommend nothing aside from maybe, take it easy with the plane man!:cool: