PDA

View Full Version : Curly Walnut Cradle

Kevin Brown
10-12-2005, 9:27 AM
Well I finally completed a cradle that was suppose to be done by Sept 1 when the our 3rd son arrived, but with everything else going on I'm just now getting it finished.

This walnut was purchased from a fellow Creeker Max Schultz way back in Feb of this year and is the first time I have used any of it, it has the most awesome curl I've ever seen, and is WAY above my skill level :rolleyes:

I only have 2 pics for now but will try to get a better shot of the grain later.

this is the cradle from a distance (so you cant see my mistakes)

and a shot of the proud new owner (and a gloat for mom and dad :) )

Dave Richards
10-12-2005, 9:34 AM
Way cool! That is a beautiful use of the wood and the owner does look proud. The builder should be as well.

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Kevin, what mistakes??? The crib looks great and you're right about the wood, too! Gorgeous!:) And, your "stealth" gloat is a handsome looking lad, as well! You done good on both counts!:) :cool:

lou sansone
10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
good looking kid and the cradle is nice also..love walnut, it is the king of the forest

lou

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Beautiful wood, cradle and kid!

Rick de Roque
10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Great work. And the cradle looks good as well.

Andy Howard
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
That cradle looks great. I love the wood.

Can I ask what finish you have on there?

I am working on a project that will be walnut and maple, with some curl in each, and am now thinking about how to finish it.

Thanks
Andy

Don Baer
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Beutiful work on both counts

Jason Tuinstra
10-12-2005, 11:49 AM
The grain looks fantastic! Very nice project overall.

Kevin Brown
10-12-2005, 2:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Andy,

I used Jeff Jewitt's method from the April 05 issue of FWW, it works pretty well but you have to do a few test pieces to adjust for the color you want, because you can't tell what the final color will be until you done all the steps to his process.

here are a few pieces in "raw" form, some pieces are lighter than others (even the white sap wood is curly)

24687 24689

these are a couple of the finished pieces, the color is alot more even the the pictures show.

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 2:16 PM
Kevin, I repeat myself but, that is some gorgeous, gorgeous wood! Wonder if Max has anymore???:D How did it machine for you? Any problems with tearout while jointing/planing?:) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
10-12-2005, 2:27 PM
Great job Kevin. The wood is stunning, and the execution looks excellent from where I'm sitting. And a big congrats on the new addition to the family, too. (Any word yet on who the father is?) [ducks and runs] ;) - Vaughn

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 2:32 PM
(Any word yet on who the father is?) [ducks and runs] ;) - Vaughn

You're a brave man, Vaughn!:eek: 'Course, it does help that you're on the opposite side of the country, too!:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
10-12-2005, 2:33 PM
That is just beautiful! Great looking kid! You should be proud on both "projects"....:D

Kevin Brown
10-12-2005, 2:40 PM
John,

YES! had some major tear out in the beginning, you find out very quickly which tools needs to be sharpened :rolleyes:

One of the uprights has a huge dutchman type patch in it where the thru tenon for th stretcher goes (I tried to get a shot of it but it's just to dark to see in the room)
and a few of the slats on the side have "chips" in them, but not to noticeable.

I haven't talked to Max for a long time, but I did take all the lumber he had the last time I did :D :D :D

Kevin Brown
10-12-2005, 2:45 PM
Any word yet on who the father is?

Haven't a clue, wife gets upset when I ask her the same question :)

Vaughn McMillan
10-12-2005, 4:20 PM
Haven't a clue, wife gets upset when I ask her the same question :)
Well, as long as you're fond of the little feller, I guess it's all good. :D

Seriously, big congrats on kiddo #3.

-Vaughn

Jeff Sudmeier
10-12-2005, 4:25 PM
Kevin,

Congrats! The cradle sure is purty!

Gail O'Rourke
10-12-2005, 4:53 PM
Congratulations and the cradle is gorgeous. I love the wood.

Waymon Campbell
10-12-2005, 5:33 PM
Absolutely beautiful job Kevin.

John Hart
10-12-2005, 5:48 PM
Beautiful work Kevin....Handsome looking tike too! Congratulations!

Karl Laustrup
10-12-2005, 6:12 PM
Kevin, I must echo the sentiments of all who have come before me.

That is absolutely georgeous wood. And as they say there may some oops here and there, but I can't see them from my house. I don't think I'd notice them anyway cause that son of yours and the wood would keep my attention. :)

Excellent job on both counts, although more credit has to go to momma on the bambino, I'm sure. ;) :D

Karl

Max Schultz
10-12-2005, 6:56 PM
Kevin;
So glad to see you have put some of the wood to very good and long lasting use. You have every right to feel the pride of great accomplishments in both skills. However; you have created a regret in that I wish I had kept some of that beautiful Walnut. I have not come across anything since that I could even try to compare to what you have. To answer the question in one of the posts, I do not have any more Walnut as beautiful as that batch is.
Good Luck on future projects Kevin and I still plan on looking you up. The reason you haven't seen me here for a while is I got tired of retirement and went back to work.
Max Schultz
Warsaw, In

Kevin Brown
10-12-2005, 7:31 PM
Again thanks everyone for your kind comments, except maybe Vaughn ;) :)

Max good to hear from you, and your welcome anytime. I think I might have commented on how you would regret getting rid of all that walnut :rolleyes:

Anyway I still hope to get started on the new shop before snow flies!

Corey Hallagan
10-12-2005, 7:34 PM
Excellent gloat...both of them!! Congrats!

Corey

Von Bickley
10-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Kevin,
Great job on the cradle and the baby.... They both look GREAT