PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45/55 Nicker Type Question

Stew Denton
01-23-2017, 12:02 AM
Hi All,

My #45 has one of the three lobe nickers, but I also see them with the spur type that slides up and down in a slot.

Have any of you used both types, and is one preferred over the other?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

steven c newman
01-23-2017, 12:05 AM
haven't seen any on my 45, but..I have a Stanley 39 dado plane with spurs on both sides, that slide up and down......I like the three lobe better, as they won't slide up in use...

Elmer Nahum
01-23-2017, 1:05 AM
The 3 lobed nicker is not adjustable for depth so not as versatile.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2017, 2:54 AM
To my knowledge the sliding nickers were never used on the Stanley #45. They were used on the early #55 then changed around the time of the SW Hart era. Some other models have also used the sliding nickers. Also if my memory is working some models use a nicker like on the #45 with a single lobe.

My preference is for the clover leaf nicker, as some call it. It is easier to find replacements.

jtk

steven c newman
01-23-2017, 9:47 AM
These had a pair of sliding spurs. Loosen two small bolts to raise or lower each of the two nickers. And..hope they match each other in depth.
This is the 3/8" version of the Stanley 39 1/2
Ever since that Stanley 45 arrived, the 39 has been hiding in this box. The other plane is a 78, and has the 3-lobe nicker. ( aren't Knickers a pair of pants?)

Jim Koepke
01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
( aren't Knickers a pair of pants?)

Yes, and half the time when typing nickers, mine ends up with a k at the beginning that has to be removed.

jtk

steven c newman
01-23-2017, 3:40 PM
And...when one refers to "spurs" other think...horses...

Those sliding "spurs" are a PITA to sharpen and adjust. One always seems to be a little "off" from the other.

Two of the three "lobes" are there to keep the spur from rotating up into the plane while in use.

Sargent made spurs were a different item altogether......almost a saw blade..

Stew Denton
01-23-2017, 11:43 PM
Hi Steven and Jim,

I wondered about how desirable the sliding spur type were when I first saw them. You two brought up things I had only vaguely thought about.

Question: Once it is sharp does the spur type do a good job of nicking the wood fibers?

Your comments have clarified my thinking quite a bit. I am looking at buying a plane or two on that auction site, and decided to really look at things such as the nickers. Unfortunately some types of planes only seem to have the spur type.

The only nicker type I have used is the 3 lobe type on my Stanley 45, so I appreciate the advise of you who have experience with the other type as well, and your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Stew

Jim Koepke
01-24-2017, 2:29 AM
Once it is sharp does the spur type do a good job of nicking the wood fibers?

Not as good as knifing the lines.

jtk

steven c newman
01-24-2017, 7:13 PM
They will work, as long as you learn to pull the plane back towards you several times, to allow the spurs to do their job, then you can push forward. Sharpen the 3-lobe spurs on the flat side only. usually no need to do anything to the bevel. Otherwise, you run the risk of making the spur too short to do it's job.

usually, the bevel goes to the waste side of the cut.