PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Finish?

Nimrod
10-12-2005, 9:20 AM
I’m building an American cherry hall table. I’m puzzled :confused: as to how to finish the table.

What is the best way to finish my table where I can accent the beauty of the cherry?

Also, when fishing the top and aprons, should I apply the finish to both sides of the boards?

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 9:29 AM
Greetings "Nimrod". First off, welcome to the Creek but, it is site policy to use real names! If you shoot an email or Private Message to Jackie Outten with a real name, she can edit that for you in your profile. Thanks!:)

As for the Cherry, that's one of my personal favorites. I've had great luck in using either, BLO or my prefered oil is "Velvit Oil". Really pops the grain nicely and brings out the richness. I also like using lacquer for the clear on it. Several coats, then rub and wax. Typically, I will oil entire piece, though I tend to just clearcoat the exterior. Not sure if that's right, wrong or otherwise, but it's worked for me.:) :cool:

Steve Schoene
10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Shellac also makes a good looking finish on cherry. If you want to enhance the darkening characteristics of cherry apply one coat of BLO and let it cure before applying other topcoats.

Be careful not to leave any object setting on the cherry piece in one place for any length of time, or you risk seeing its "shadow" where the cherry has not darkened. DAMHIKT

The modern drill is to finish both sides to equalize moisture transfer, but a great many pieces of furniture have been made and have survived for hundreds of years without doing that. Its so easy to apply one or two applications of shellac that I'd do it, but I certainly wouldn't build a full finishish on the undersides.

Gail O'Rourke
10-18-2005, 9:18 PM
Hi, I almost have the same question, I am making a double cherry vanity and the customer liked the Watco sample. So can I watco and then what? lacquer? or oil poly? shellac? What's best? (I am thinking high moisture in bathroom as well as lots of use, so may get dirty.

Suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Steve Schoene
10-18-2005, 9:37 PM
You have to decide if you, or your customer, want a film finish since the watco sample would likely have been just an "in the wood" finish.

The film does add significantly to the protection from the finish. I would use a traditional resin varnish which provides very good protection, and can pretty easily go on over Watco. Omitting the watco step will cause very little difference in appearance if a oil based varnish is used.

Shellac is great with water vapor, but liquid water can cause problems. I like the appearance of shellac, but probably wouldn't use it in a bathroom vanity. Lacquer adds a little more resistance to water, but not a lot. Catalized laquer or conversion varnish are probably the best for the vanity, adding durability and still being spray on finishes.

John Hart
10-18-2005, 9:50 PM
As far as the first question, I would think most definitely yes to finishing on both sides...Or as John M suggests, at least oil for both sides and final finish to the outside. I wouldn't want to leave it bare for moisture considerations.
On the second question, I finished my maple bathroom vanity about 5 or 6 years ago with clear poly. It has withstood kids and everything else that goes with a busy bathroom. No breakdown whatsoever to date.

Gail O'Rourke
10-19-2005, 9:05 AM
ok, so I don't even need the watco, just the oil poly to bring out the color? FYI, I am wiping /brushing on....also, I have the Maloof oil/poly..would this be good? or not build up enough.

Steve Schoene
10-19-2005, 9:14 AM
The oil varnish mix will end up with a softer finish than just varnish, so you wouldn't want to build much of a film. A thinned varnish for wiping, or using something similar for brushing will pretty much give the same end result though the wiped finish will require more coats, but those coats may be easier to control unless you like using a brush. Waterlox is a good wiping varnish and comes in versions ranging from satin to high gloss. The "medium" gloss original looks quite good I think.

Gail O'Rourke
10-19-2005, 9:49 AM
Steve, I forgot about Waterlox, I have used it before and liked it, I will see if I can get some around here. Thanks for the help.

John S Richards
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
A vanity will see water inside and out. Make sure you finishe it on the inside. I do lot of cabinetry work and usually use lacquer with a vinyl sealer. S&W and Mohawk make excellent lacquers. Conversion varnish or post cat lacquer are usually the best be messy to deal with in terms of spraying and cleanup.

Since you are brushing or wiping a few coats of waterlox should work just fine. If you are going to be doing much cabinetry work I'd suggest an HVLP gun. :)

Good Luck,

John