PDA

View Full Version : Material suggestions and souces?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2017, 4:21 PM
I have designed and am gathering materials for 2 new end tables requested by my wife.

Part of the design has a pullout that has two cup holder recesses and a recess for remote controls. I would like suggestions for materials with which to line the bottom of these recesses and sources for the suggested materials.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
01-22-2017, 5:53 PM
For the cup holder insert, google with "cup holder insert." You can get plastic ones, and metal ones -- all waterproof. You can even get dual cup holders.

For the remote, I don't understand what you're looking for. Why not just make a recess that is wood? The remote won't hurt it, and the wood won't hurt the remote.

Lee Schierer
01-22-2017, 6:22 PM
What ever you use, make sure it is removable so it can be cleaned periodically.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2017, 6:56 PM
Thanks guys!

What I plan on doing is routing a couple shallow round holes 1/4" deep or so for the cup holders and the 1/4"deep rectangular recesses for the remotes.

Thanks for the suggestion about cup holders! That caused me to do a search on "coasters" which revealed some silicon rubber ones that could be used to line the cup holder recesses and as Lee suggested would be removable for cleaning.

I agree that the area for the remotes could be left unlined.

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions!

Rick Moyer
01-23-2017, 11:25 AM
I'd consider going a lot deeper than 1/4". You bump a tumbler sitting 1/4" down it's gonna tumble;), a little deeper holder you'll have some side support.

rudy de haas
01-23-2017, 12:54 PM
I believe green felt is traditional - and that you can get stone or ceramic coasters whose bottoms are covered with it, so making your holes deep enough to put these in upside down might give an easily remove-able, slip free, base that's also proof against heat from the bottom from the bottom of the mug. Then green velvet lining on the remote drawer will complete the picture.